The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Winter Visit to Grand Canyon South Rim

engel001

Winter Conditions

I am planning a one-night stay at the South Rim and the forecast has snow ("Moderate snow accumulations. Snow level 5000 feet"). The rim is at nearly 7000 feet. I am all excited about the snow but should I be concerned with travel conditions? Being from Minnesota, the snow itself doesn't bother me since it gets cleared efficiently, but what road conditions can I expect in the Park?

Locations and timing:

Once I am there, what scenics would you recommend. Assuming the local roads are passable, the eastern Hermits Rest bus route is open to personal cars only in winter. I have one afternoon and a morning. Should I head west (such as Hopi Point) in the evening, east (such as Yaki Point) in the morning? Or does it matter? What are your favorite vistas?

Lenses:

I shoot Contax 645 with Phase One, what lenses do you recommend? My usual automobile travel setup has often been 45-90mm plus the 120mm Macro. Wider, i.e 35mm? Longer, i.e 210mm? Instead of the zoom, would you choose the lighter 45mm or 55mm lenses; primes only?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations! - Christopher

Audii-Dudii

Where are you coming from before you reach the Grand Canyon and where are you headed afterward? IMO, the south rim area is sort of ho-hum, but there are lots of other interesting places to photograph if you're able to continue north from there to Page ... tell me more about your itinerary and I'll be happy to point out any that are along your path.

If you have an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, download the iFotoGuide to Grand Canyon from the itunes App Store- for $4.99, you've got more than you'll need, and it's all good.

engel001

Unfortunately, I don't have time to continue to Page, it's just this and back to Scottsdale for the rest of the week. I have been to the South Rim a couple of times and favor the North Rim personally. This trip I am doing because it is a different season. Last year a side trip to Sedona after fresh snow had fallen demonstrated to me how beautiful this kind of geology and topography can be when contrasted with snow.

I am waiting for the iPad 2, having resisted the clutches of Apple's proprietary sytems so far.

W

wanderingeye

Be certain the road is not closed. Check the NPS web site.

engel001

Thanks for the heads up about the road conditions. We made it into the park yesterday and have decided to remain until Monday due to the weather and road closings (including I40 and I17. Lots of snow here, waiting for the sun later today or tomorrow... So far just photos of blowing snow. Frankly, this was exactly what I was hoping for.

R

Ronan

I am waiting for the iPad 2, having resisted the clutches of Apple's proprietary sytems so far.
Not hard if you have a bit of common sense :ROTFL:

BTW Android 3.0 just got released, so expect the new gen of tablets in march. I would grab one of those, they outperform anything from Apple. Oh and you can actually use them for work. :rolleyes: