The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

thunderbolt.

R

rpb

new i/o tech from intel, 2X faster than USB3 now on the macbook pro.

link

Any chance that this is one of the features of the Phaseone IQ series yet to be announced?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Be really nice if they can make it happen. I say dump the USB with T Bolt. Not sure they could make this last minute change.

R

Ronan

Useless for now... nothing is fast enough to write at that speed.

Also the version coming out from Apple is a really really basic 'copper' one, which is a joke. They just want an excuse to charge even more money right now. Just like the iPad with no camera... bring it out now and then a couple month after, V2 with a camera built in...

Wait for the optical versions to come out which is 10x faster. ETA is next year.

Oh and its also called Light Peak.

R

rpb

Useless for now...
I'm not sure if 2x USB3 is useless, especially for HD video, storage etc (lacie will have products by mid year).
Yes, sure you can wait till next year where it will be 10 X faster (even though you say that nothing is fast enough to write at its current speed), but hey why not wait till 2013 when it is going to be 20 X faster.
Tech is always going to get faster, better etc, if you sit around waiting you will end up with nothing.;)

G

Googaliser

Useless for now... nothing is fast enough to write at that speed.

Also the version coming out from Apple is a really really basic 'copper' one, which is a joke. They just want an excuse to charge even more money right now. Just like the iPad with no camera... bring it out now and then a couple month after, V2 with a camera built in...

Wait for the optical versions to come out which is 10x faster. ETA is next year.

Oh and its also called Light Peak.
If nothing is fast enough to write at that speed - why wait for something even faster ? Also, may I ask for your source of the 'ETA is next year...' for the optical variant ? That's not my understanding...

Anyway - things can write that fast - I use SSD arrays that peak at 700mb/s transfer. Having that functionality available via a daisy-chained Macbook - should one need it - is fantastic and a real step forward imo. Enterprise-level performance in consumer goods should never be sniffed at.

A big limitation for me has always been the time it takes to get stuff on and off a laptop and with fast ssd's - the link is often the weak link.

Tethered shooting with zero latency anyone ?

I think the IQ series will be fine though given its USB2/3/FW choice - legacy compatibility is far more important in these early days of thunderbolt.

M

R

Ronan

We are talking 10 Gbit/s (1000 mb/s) for the copper one and 100 Gbit/s (10,000 mb/s) for the optical one.

Please, do tell what writes that fast so i can purchase it asap!!!

My source is the same as everyone else talking about it... Intel and the regular tech news sources.

G

Googaliser

We are talking 10 Gbit/s (1000 mb/s) for the copper one and 100 Gbit/s (10,000 mb/s) for the optical one.

My source is the same as everyone else talking about it... Intel and the regular tech news sources.
Screenshot from my computer. Its already in excess of what thunderbolt can accommodate... Having this capability with a Macbook as the controller is awesome news.

M

ustein

Contributing Editor
>nothing is fast enough to write at that speed.

Sure? 10 Disk RAID anyone? Using SSD :)

R

Ronan

Fast!

But my comment was directed to the optical version.

100 Gbit/s ;)

And what about the camera used? Won't that be taken into account too?

cly

Also the version coming out from Apple is a really really basic 'copper' one, which is a joke.

Bus-powered devices over an optical version?

Chris

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
They simply skipped USB 3, did they? It's nice that they are a bit ahead of time, but it would also be nice to have a computer that could utilize the fast peripherals that are available now, wouldn't it?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It is a bit of a puzzler to me.
First Apple and Intel have an exclusive agreement for a year that limits other computer manufacturers from using it for a year.
That will probably limit peripheral availability to some extent until 2012

Second, it cannot be retro-fitted into systems such as my mac pro since the interface requires access to both the video stream and the PCIe from the system data bus. I am not convinced that an add-on card can be produced compatibly and with full performance.

I doubt very much that we will see this very soon. I expect that its roll-out will follow the displayport model.

Apple first then other folks about a year later if it proves popular.
-bob

S

selsoe

How about a monitor with a built in graphics card? Connect your MacBook and get a performance boost.

Remember that Thunderbolt is more or less an external extension of the PCI Express bus, so anything that was inside the computer can now be connected outside.