The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Considering a Leaf Back for my old MF Bodies

G

Gardenerbob

Hi guy/gals,
It's been a while since I was here, but I now have a new interest in the Leaf Digital Backs.
I bought the Betterlight system last year and decided it wasn't for me.
I just noticed that Leaf systems can accomodate some of my old MF Bodies (Hasselblad 500c/m, and Mamiya RB67) as well as my Ebony RW45.

If I were to get the Leaf system, can I work among the various camera bodies? ie. Can the adaptors be changed when needed.
Second, do I need new lenses for the high digital resolution of the Leaf?
I doubt I would get a DB with greater than 30-40 mp. as the cost is quite high.

I photograph mostly outdoors and landscape, but try to mix in other stuff to keep me learning...
Any suggestions/information would be appreciated.
Bob:p

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
"Hasselblad 500c/m, and Mamiya RB67) as well as my Ebony RW45"

To be fair Leaf, Phase One, Hassy, and Sinar all make backs that can be used on such systems. It's not just Leaf.

In favor of Leaf/Phase:
Leaf and Phase One make every back they produce in a mount compatible with all three of those bodies, up to and including the Leaf Aptus II 12. All Leaf/Phase backs can be used either vertically or horizontally on a Hassy body and have an on-board battery for use on bodies without integrated power (all three of those bodies do not have integrated power for a digital back). All Leaf/Phase backs will also require a sync cable between the lens and back on the Hassy and Ebony.

Leaf unique offers an internally rotating sensor to switch between vertical and horizontal shooting without dismounting the back. Leaf also uniquely offers the ability to shoot directly to a true square raw format - allowing up to a 60 megapixel square raw file (Aptus II12R in SensorFlex mode).

The Leaf also uniquely offers the ability to record focal length, aperture, and other notes in the raw file when using non-electronic bodies for better cataloging/archiving.

For US customers Leaf is unique in that most repairs can be done in the US without the back needing to ship oversees.

All Phase/Leaf backs are compatible with Capture One, which is very highly regarded as a raw processor and considered by many to produce the best color, tonal smoothness, and detail of any raw processor. The fact that many Canon / Nikon / Leica / Etc users choose Capture One over other options like Lightroom/Aperture speaks volumes about it's quality.

You asked about changing the back for different bodies. While there are backs that offer user changeable mounts Phase and Leaf do not. Fortunately all the cameras you refer to can be used with a V-mount back, so you would not need to change mounts regardless.

It's selfish for me to say but I'd keep an open mind on your budget/resolution until you've got a better idea of what your needs are and had a conversation with your dealer about what promotions/discounts/demo/used options might help you get the most bang for your buck.

I'm hugely biased in this regard but I suggest you choose a dealer carefully as you are sure to have many questions and you want a partner that will work hard to get you the right equipment for your needs and budget and then be there for you for any questions/problems. For someone buying their fourth back options like eBay can often offer a good value - for someone buying for the first time it can often cause more headaches than it's worth (but like I said - I'm biased).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

yaya

Hi Bob,

You should be looking for a back in V mount that goes straight onto your 500 C/M. If you buy new it'll come with a back-to-lens sync cable and with a focusing screen mask

For the RB you'll need an adapter (from Leaf). It's a clip-on type so no need to change anything. This one will also come with an RB focusing screen mask

For the Ebony you have several options, ranging from a simple, clip-on Graflok adapter (from Leaf) to a sliding/ stitching adapter; here there are a few companies that make them: KaptureGroup, Phase One, Linhof, Cambo, Mergin-X and so on.

If you are able to stretch to the 56MP Aptus-II 10R you'll also enjoy the rotating sensor which works great on all 3 cameras.

Best

Yair

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi guy/gals,
Second, do I need new lenses for the high digital resolution of the Leaf?
That depends a lot on which back you choose. The higher resolution the back the better lenses you'll need if you want to get the most out of the system. Many of the Zeiss Hassy lenses are very respectable even on a high resolution back - but many are not, and almost all produce more chromatic aberration and fringing than more modern designs. The chromatic aberration removal in Capture One (including presets specifically for many of the Zeiss lenses) is, in my biased opinion, the best of any raw processor and helps a lot in this regard.

Also, your 4x5 lenses may or may not be sharp enough for the task (many are not), but more importantly the "wideness" of a lens is a result of its focal length and the size of the sensor/film you use it with. So a 300mm lens is a very LONG lens on a digital back. Below is a link to a calculator where you can put in the lenses that you know (e.g. 90mm on 4x5) and get the equivalent lens when used with a particular digital back.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2009/02/03/focal-length-equivalent-calculator/

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

goesbang

Wow Bob,
It appears you have the dream-team giving you very useful advice. I'd like to amplify Doug's advice to find yourself a well informed dealer and spend some time explaining your intended uses, current and future to them before plonking cash down on anything.
This will help you avoid the pain recently suffered by a member here who bought an expensive back that did not give him the option to use it in a different way later on.
Cheers,

fotografz

Hi Bob, in my experience the Leaf Aptus 33 meg backs are particularly well suited to both the Hassey/Zeiss system and the Mamiya RB/RZ systems. It seems that combo is just right for those respective optical systems ... the Zeiss 40IF, 100/CFi and 180CFE hold their own very well. My favorite for the RZ was the 210 APO. Because the Aptus 33 meg backs do not use micro-lenses you can use it on a technical camera with movements ... others will be better at advising on view camera optics with these backs.

For working outdoors with the large Leaf LCD screen, I highly recommend the clip-on bellows screen shade made specifically for these backs.

Good luck, and to insure that luck is good, choose your dealer wisely and be patient ... do you homework.

-Marc

G

Gardenerbob

Boy, fast reponses.
Thanks Guys!
I am in contact with Digital Transitions. Since I am on Long Island, I can go set up an appointment.
I already have Capture one 5 and am thinking of upgrading to 6pro. It really seems powerful and I am a bit intimidated by it so far.
For some reason, I thought I needed the newer MF bodies to work with the Digital Backs.

Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping to get an earlier model off of ebay in order to save some money, but I see the wisdom of going through the dealer.
Bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping to get an earlier model off of ebay in order to save some money, but I see the wisdom of going through the dealer.
Bob
:thumbs:

I originally bought my first two MFDBs (a long time ago) this way, a subsequent MFDB via trade here but my most recent MFDB was new via a dealer and I have to say that it's definitely the right way to go. My last back was new but I'd definitely go to a dealer for a used back if I needed one. The benefits aren't just financial - they'll go to bat for you if you ever need support too. You might save a little on a good private deal but that benefit will evaporate instantly if you ever run into an unforeseen issue.

All of the dealers representing themselves here are class acts and have been genuine and generally non partisan and open about their advice and support. (and when partisan, it's always been with full disclosure)

schuster

find yourself a well informed dealer
I moved from Los Angeles to "the middle of the woods" in New Hampshire ski country, and need to upgrade from my ancient Imacon/Hasselblad back. Closest major city is Boston, two hours away. Any dealer recommendations?

T

tetsrfun

Ulsaker has moved:

Ulsaker Studio, Inc.
122 Naubuc Ave.
Suite A11
Glastonbury, CT 06033
860-633-6232
fax: 860-633-6212

Steve

H

Hikari

For some reason, as yet to be explained, my post about ImageLink in the Boston area was deleted. However, I have used this dealer and they seemed good.