The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would you buy a P45+ now?

Jeffg53

I am contemplating a back that will let me do long exposures. The P45+ looks like the clear winner but it's been around for quite a while. Would I be buying into older technology that will be replaced soon? As I understand it the new IQ backs are never going to do long exposures, and I would probably lose a lot in high ISO performance over my H4D. The S2 won't do long exposures either so the choices look rather limited.

kdphotography

For long exposures, nothing beats the Phase P45+ at the moment. If I had the extra cash, I'd love to have one (again)---but the IQ upgrade fund takes priority. :)

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I am contemplating a back that will let me do long exposures. The P45+ looks like the clear winner but it's been around for quite a while. Would I be buying into older technology that will be replaced soon? As I understand it the new IQ backs are never going to do long exposures, and I would probably lose a lot in high ISO performance over my H4D. The S2 won't do long exposures either so the choices look rather limited.
Its a great choice if you want to do long exposures. It is also a solid performer. It's a strong 39Mpix. There are so many I know that are reluctant to move off of the platform because of the long exposures, and beautiful images.

It is still a current model in PhaseOne's P+ series and I hope it continues to be.

There is no 'perfect' back out there. So weigh your options long exposure, or better high ISO. If you are considering higher ISO you should really consider a PhaseOne with Sensor+.

Lance

Jeffg53

The P45+ has sensor plus, I assume. Will that give me good ISO 400 and 800 when compared to the H4D. I would be quite happy with smaller files as most high ISO work for me is never going to be printed large.

PeterL

Only the P40+ and P65+ have sensor+, the new IQ backs will have it as well I assume.

How long exposures are you talking about? The P40+ and P65+ are rated at 60sec. It is my experience that unless you do star trails or aurora shots, 60 sec is plenty. It's EV 1 (f8, 60 sec @ ISO 50).

Cheers, -Peter

Jeffg53

60 won't cut it for me. The H4D 40 does 256. I can live with that for most stuff. I would dearly love to be able to do much longer.

johnnygoesdigital

Jeff,

Capture integration, Digital Transitions and Phase websites have great information, where you can compare all DB's. in the line up. I too, love long exposures, but with 1 hour exposures and dark frame, make sure the batteries are fresh.

f8orbust

Another big plus vote for the P45+. If you ever use something like Lee's 'Big Stopper' 10 stop grad, plus maybe a center filter, then 60 seconds is rarely going to cut it. If only P1 would use the sensor from the P45+ (or an equivalent one) in an IQ back, but I guess the demand isn't really there. Looks like we'll have to wait a couple of years until CMOS sensors start to appear before we get the marriage of long exposure capability plus a nice screen with live view etc.

Don Libby

I've been using a P45+ for over 2-years now and while the newer higher resolution backs have put stars in my eyes I'm still very happy with the back.

If I were just getting into DMF then I would opt for the P45+ as it is a rock solid performer that offers one of the longest shutters on the market and that sums up my response to your first sentence.

Don

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
60 won't cut it for me. The H4D 40 does 256. I can live with that for most stuff. I would dearly love to be able to do much longer.
Jeff,

The new firmware for the S2 pushes time to 150 seconds....and Gary Faye at CameraWest tells me there is NO NOISE whatever at that setting. Not 256 but may be a nice alternative if you keep your H4D 40 for those early morning shots.

Bob

Jeffg53

Thanks folks. It's good to hear the the S2 is out to 150. I had written it off completely until now. I am still very wary of the S2 as I suspect that it will follow the M8/M9 route and I don't want to be left holding the inferior one in a years time.
It looks like the P45+ is the way to go.

Paul2660

If you are considering a used one, make sure it will run the latest version of the P45+ firmware.

This allows two major changes to early P45+ models (like mine was)

1. You can take a long exposure up to 1 hour.
2. You can use the higher ISO range from 400 to 800.

My serial number is 399. Purchased in March 08. Phase released a major firmware update I recall around mid 2009. This update allowed for the longer exposures up to 1 hour and greatly improved the higher ISO range. However certain backs, (mine was one of them) would not take the firmware. There was a change to certain hardware in the backs that worked with the firmware. If you didn't have it, you would lock up during the firmware upgrade.

Phase One, took care of this issue for me. I was under full 3 year value add warranty. The changes were IMO extreme. The new firmware not only allowed me to shoot up to 1 hour with very low noise (iso 50) but also cleaned up the higher ISO range enough that I can use iso 800 for shots up to 24 x 36 with no problems. It also cleaned up the lower iso range 50 and 100.

One other note, one that doesn't get talked about very often.
The use of the P45+ in 30min to 1 hour exposures is very dependent on the outside ambient temps. You can't get a 1 hour exposure in much warmer temps than 63 degrees Fahrenheit. You can go to 30 min up to around 75 degrees as I recall. If it gets any warmer, you will have a mainly dark frame and the exposure will not be usable. Below is a quote from a note I received from Phase One. I had sent them a problem file of 40min.
"This image is a 40min exposure with a core temp of almost 36 C (35.813 to be precise)
At this temp we can handle a 13 min exposure at 17 C you can do 60min and at 23C you
can do 30min so to be able to do 40 he needs to keep the back around 20 C."

Based on their work and recommended temps. I have had excellent long exposure results with the P45+. Outdoor temp can't be over 63 degrees F to get to 1 hour.

Here is an example of approximately a 30min exposure.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks folks. I hadn't heard the firmware or temperature pieces before.
Temperature affecting times was discussed early with the P45 .... more hot pixels as temperature increased. May be an issue where you live.

Bob

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
A P45+ on an Alpa TC looks like a great landscape combo, but small format is too close at 20x30 print size to be worth the money or operational tradeoffs. (One-trick pony and all that.) And much as I like Rodenstock glass I've never been happy with Schneider, and all the ALPA wide angles are Schneiders. In color and tone the Leica WATE on an M9 produces a far better look to my taste than I ever got from a Schneider (admittedly on film), while in terms of texture at 20x30 it's really hard to tell an 180ppi original from even twice that. It's there, but it's not like 180 holds back good, even most heavily textured, landscape content when used with care. (And technically high-quality originals from an AA-less camera do require lots of care when scaled.) If I printed larger I'd probably feel differently; I used to, but haven't in 7 years which tells me it's not a fundamental need or desire. More along the lines of being interesting to explore the medium, but I've already been there with sheet film scans. So to ME the answer is no, not at current prices.