The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa STC (or other) vs Leica M8/9 dilemma

PeterL

A lot of good advice given already. I use both the M8 and an Alpa TC with the 47XL and P40+ back. For what you describe as the main purpose of the trip, I would take the M8 and the 28/50/90 combo. Do not sell the M8 for an M9, you do not get a lot of money for it and if you want an M9 keep it as a backup. If you will have time for detailed landscape work, the Alpa TC with a wide angle lens like the 35XL or 47XL is what you want. I know a lot of people are raving about the STC, and it is a wonderful camera, but for compactness the TC beats it hands down, it's also almost three times as light at 220g, and less bulky. Hyperfocal focusing is easy with the wides on the Alpa. You can still do panos with a RRS PCL-1 clamp if you like. As other have suggested, take a Gitzo travel tripod, it will be sturdy enough for the TC and a light lens.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers, -Peter

leicashot

The dilemma here is simply answered by what your priority is. Do you care more about the simplistic style experience and usability of the photographic process? If "yes" nothing beats the Leica.

Do you care mor about file quality? If "yes" then get the PhaseOne.

johnnygoesdigital

I would use the FF M9 for this trip. Perfectly capable of producing fairly large prints and being able to hold three amazing lenses in the palm of your hand! Bring an extra battery and a few tiny SD cards and you have the ability to shoot thousands of images. The JPG option will allow for even more "fun" pics that might not need the resolution for the larger prints. I use a Gitzo Gt1541T tripod and 1741QR head for the lightest combo with the M9 other than a monopod.
It would be tempting to bring a Alpa 12TC too, with a P40+ and properly calculated hyperfocal focusing, you get the benefit of sensor plus, a point and shoot style, with lenses that aren't too cumbersome. Have fun!

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
The dilemma here is simply answered by what your priority is. Do you care more about the simplistic style experience and usability of the photographic process? If "yes" nothing beats the Leica.

Do you care mor about file quality? If "yes" then get the PhaseOne.
I would add to that what is the priority of the images you are taking? Is your main concern getting images that will look great on the wall of your home in large sizes or is it more about the events and activities of the family?

Pesonally I'd take the Phase setup, there is just too much to shoot in too short of time in a trip like that to mess with a technical camera. I feel it is more suited to return trips or occasions where you have time to scout and determine exactly what you are trying to shoot.

I have a GF-1, and with a hoodman viewfinder on it, I would say it's much more usuable than a m8. M9 isn't a bad choice, but personally I'd take the phase setup to shoot the landscapes, and a canon s95 point and shoot for the family stuff.

Or compromise and go with a canon 5dmk2 with a couple of good zooms ... think that might be your sweet spot to handle pretty much everything. I don't think the leica has any image quality advantages over it ... I own both and I only take the m9 when I want small and light (as in backup for the MF gear).

jlm

Workshop Member
bring the phase with 2 lenses and the M8 with three. You can always leave the phase in your suitcase if it isn't what you find you need. on the other hand, if you find it is what you want you won't kick yourself for leaving it at home.

i find squirelly kids are are a focusing crap shoot with my M8, should your targets be young ones

Terry

I would stick with the M8. I have gorgeous shots from the camera printed large. It is small and easy to carry. You already have it....and you will want to take more than landscape shots while you are there.

If you've been a large format camera person before and you are looking at gear next week at Focus, I would not skip the Arca booth if there is one. While the STC is nice the Rm3di gives you more movements and tilt and isn't dramatically larger or Rm2D (no tilt and less movement). The Arca's aren't much different in size that Alpa when you add a handle to the STC.

baxter

Thanks again!

The sensible head option is the M8, but then again....! there's no harm in looking, or asking is there? Terry I would love to see the Arca-Swiss options, but there seems to be no UK importer, Robert White, to whom I live dangerously close, don't stock them. Having seen the Alpa, assuming Paula from Linhof Studio has them at Focus will enable me to draw rough parallels from the data sheets and photos. Hardly ideal given the potential expense.

Wayne, yes the 645DF is an easy and quick camera to operate. Will also look at the EVF on the Panasonic stand.

Anyway enough conjecture, I'll be better informed in 24 hours.

BTW my children will be 15 and 13 when we travel and there's just the 3 of us. They are keen that we get fab photos and are used to me taking pictures. Max, currently 12 considers the M8 'his' camera and it has been for the last 3 years!

P

Porpoise

During my recent 3 weeks traveling vacation with an Alpa TC/P65+ (40 mm)
and a Leica M9 (35 and 75 mm) I was amazed how completely different they are. So it really depends on the kind of pictures you like to shoot. The speed and versatility of the M9 will probably give you many more good pictures but none of them will have the stunning IQ the Alpa can produce when the circumstances are just right. The biggest problem of the Alpa for me was getting enough light: F/8 for DoF, 1/125s for handheld, ISO 50 for best quality. Compromise on these, and choose any combination of out of focus, motion unsharpness and noise to make it tough to beat the M9 IQ. I did miss my tripod but it would have meant check-in luggage which I try to avoid.

Do you want to document the trip with lots of great pictures of your children in Hawaii? Then keep the M8 or better yet, get an M9.

Do you like challenges and do you strive for that one picture better then anything you made before and that you can print 44" wide, never mind your children might not be in it? Get the Alpa, or reconsider your 645DF with the lightest lens.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
While the TC is marketed as the "travel compact", I do not think it is as comfortable in the hands, especially for extended use handheld, as the WA or the SWA. The new grip for the TC is an improvement over the previous finger grip but for me the WA or the SWA are much better for shooting handheld than the TC. Although I have not tried it, I cannot imagine that the STC would be a good camera for extended handheld use - but maybe it could work out fine.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
While the TC is marketed as the "travel compact", I do not think it is as comfortable in the hands, especially for extended use handheld, as the WA or the SWA. The new grip for the TC is an improvement over the previous finger grip but for me the WA or the SWA are much better for shooting handheld than the TC. Although I have not tried it, I cannot imagine that the STC would be a good camera for extended handheld use - but maybe it could work out fine.
Like the TC, the STC comes with no grips at all as standard. You can fit a single grip to the right side of the STC which pretty much means that if you want to shoot handheld then you'll cradle the camera in a similar fashion to an RF or SLR with your hand on the bottom or under the lens. Having two grips definitely adds stability. I haven't used the SW/SWA but I did used to use a Fotoman 45PS for a while and the two grips on that helped with stability significantly.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

"Once in a lifetime trip with my children" ... is the key phrase here.

In your opinion, which choice would allow you to freely and spontaneously participate in this experience, and enjoy being with your children, recording the experience, place and things you do together without turning every picture opportunity into a major production?

Personally, it would be a no brainer decision ... I'd take my two M9s. However, if you get an M9, I'd hold onto the M8 as back-up and not sell it until you return ... and I would offer the same advice if you get the Alpa. You do not want to be without a "Once in a lifetime" back-up IMO.

Your "to sensible" DSLR choice is just that, "sensible". With the Leica and the Alpa, you are limited in reach and lower light abilities, which you may or may not wish you had once you are there (depending on what and how you like to shoot). Take a look at the Sony A55 which is really tiny, takes Zeiss/Sony lenses, and is more fun than a barrel of monkeys to play with. Coupled with a Sony 50/1.4, it provides very low light abilities. Add on longer zoom and you have the reach ... if you think you'd use it.

A cheaper route with lot's of flexibility could be your M8 and a Sony NEX5 with an M lens mount adapter, and a long zoom for the NEX. Back-up, low light ability, and reach in a small package. Small may be VERY desirable if you are traveling from one island to another over the three weeks. "Big" becomes a big PITA really fast when moving from one destination to the next.

If I were traveling to this destination alone or with my wife, with the express purpose of making photographs, I'd take my MFD kit ... but if I was there to experience it all with my children, I would not. We all often feel compelled to use our best tools when an opportunity like this arises ... however, enjoying our families comes first IMO.

My 2¢

-Marc

P.S., this doesn't take into account the desire factor ... if you have a burning desire for an ALPA, and think you could master it in time, then no amount of reasoned thinking or logic can quench that desire ... "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." :LOL:
+1
Bill

T

tetsrfun

Go with what you have and enjoy HI. How much would it cost to UPS or Fed-EX your MF gear? For three weeks, it might be worth it for the "business" portion of your trip.

Steve

Paratom

I also think what you have could work great and would bring the M8 (or M9 if you need more MP and want to replace the M8) but would also keep and bring the gf1. Why? You might have places where you dont want to bring the M8 (when walking on the beach with the feets in the water, when going out in a rubber boat, etc etc.
2 years ago I brought the Artec, M8 and a small waterproof digicam (which also does poretty good video). I took few images with the Artec, many many with the M8 and was sometimes used the small waterproof Pana FT one.