The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Hartblei Cam owners

G

Gardenerbob

Are there any Hartblei owners on this forum?
I am looking at MFDB's and saw this camera and wondered how it worked.
No prices on the web as well.
TIA
Bob

H3dtogo

Yes, I am and have written already a review on it here on this site. As said in the article, it is my number one camera for all wide angle and still live images.

J

jingq

H3dtogo, how was the groundglass for focusing?
my experience with some cameras is that the groundglass is too dark making it hard to focus in anything other than daylight

Stefan Steib

jingq

you can use any Hasselblad Viewfinder adapter compatible Screen.
We have now done a version for a customer who took off the Arcbody Accumate screen he had on there and uses it now for his Leaf Aptus II 12R on the HCam-B1.
Combined with the 4x Loupe finder that makes very easy and bright focusing,
it´s exactly as smooth as on the arcbody (of course) and as we do not have any Prism or mirror to pass by it´s probably the brightest finder you can get on that kind of camera.
Also remember while the Rodenstock or Schneider 24/23mm wideangles are f5,6, the Canon 17 and 24mm lenses are f4 and f3,5
which is 1 f stop or 1,5x brighter and you can see this very easily.
And because of the retrofocus (longer flange focal range- thus less light falloff!) the corners are bright enough also. No centerfilter needed- no colorshifts, no moireeshot
no colorfringing ! ;)

Greetings from Munich

Stefan Steib-Hartblei.de

H3dtogo

As Stefan mentioned, the focussing screen is very good. I sometimes use a prism finder, a simple standard Hasselblad folding finder and sometimes the Sinar soft focussing hood with loupe. They all work great. It is relatively easy to focus with the 17 and 24mm on my 39Mp back. Until now, i never missed focus. I also use the Hartblei Zeiss 80mm SR and this also is a great piece of craftmanship created by and for the working professional: so easy to use with such great results.

Last edited:

Stefan Steib

could not resist after reading in another thread:
The Wakeup for backs needing it, is built into each HCam B1´s Microcontroller. It can be switched on and off electronically and works up to 1/4000 sec and with the F1-F2 flashsync of shutter blade 1 or 2. It also works with our new wireless radio remote control (...!!!)

Oh....:D and it does not cost 1000$ - actually it costs nothing extra.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Stefan,

Do you have a definitive list of the Nikon lenses that work with the Hartblei cam? In particular, are there specific Zeiss ZF lenses that are known to cover a 645 image circle, or more specifically 33x44mm? Also, any information about the range of tilt & shift supported by the Nikon 24, 45, 85 PC-E lenses with the HCAM?

Many thanks.

H3dtogo

Hi, i tried briefly the 35mm Zeiss on the HB1 but this was no succes. The 85mm is a great performer, at least with a 36/36 sensor in sudio. I will try it this week.

Stefan Steib

Graham

the ZF/ZE Planar 1,4/85mm works very well on my P45+, also the ZF+ZE 2,0/100mm Makro has the full image circle even at infiinity.
The Nikon 17-35-ED is used by a friend of mine with a Sinar Multishot/22MP and the new Evolution on the HCam-B1, with very good results (for car interiors).
And the Nikon 14-24mm G-ED should at least work for the smaller chips , so I was told by Nikon Germany staff who told me that several people have cut the sunshade to use it on their Sinarcams and Horseman Digiflex bodies. I have to admit I did not cut one myself although I´m planning to do so.
I also tried my Nikon 2,8/60mmDMakro and Nikon 2,8/105mmDMakro but their image circles were too small.
So still you need to try with your existing lenses, it is depending on your chip size, the focusing distance (very near closeups may have more problems because of the barrel vignetting as the lenses move forward - of course IF lenses like our 40mm distagon do not have this).

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

Stefan Steib

As I promised, I did some test shots on delivery of the HCam-B1 system with Leaf Aptus II 12R recently.
so here is a downloadlink to a tabletop with HCam-B1, Hartblei 80mm Planar at f11 and 4 degr. tilt . Not a very good lighting example, but man - what a resolution and sharpness...... (I did not catch the angle quite, right side is a bit less in focus, nevermind still ok for a test shot) JPG about 50 Megs

http://www.hartblei.de/downloads/Hartblei80mm_HCamB1_4degr_tilt_LeafA12.jpg

I wish I would have had more time. This back is definitely on my christmas wishlist....:rolleyes:

Greetings from Munich

yaya

Stefan has today showed me some RAW files that were taken on the Hartblei with an Aptus-II 12R and a Canon 17mm TSE...all I can say is OMG!!!!!

In addition to being what is probably the widest possible combination on any photographic equipment (~10mm in 35mm terms?). The resolution and sharpness (and lack of distortion) are just out of this world, honest!

H3dtogo

I am using the Hcam B1 for half a year now and still am amazed almost everyday by the stunning IQ of the Canon TS lenses. Best Camera i have ever owned.

H3dtogo

I never tried the 45 and 90mm as they were no stellar performers on 35mm either. I do have the 80mm Superrotator from Stefan Steib, the "Zeiss" type: great lens, wonderful bokeh.

Stefan Steib

I have gotten some infos about the new Canon lenses this saturday.
The reason (which I was already wondering about) for these lenses to be all equally sharp, piece by piece I have seen by now, is that they are not made with traditional lens grinding, instead they are pressed now with micron tolerance. This also means that at montage they will deliver exactly the same focal lenght (which other traditional lenses don´t!) and at fabrication will use the exact same calibration data. This is valid for the 17mm and 24mm V2TS lenses.

Now for something new:
This saturday we also found out that the HCam will deliver an image angle of 180 degrees with 80 Mpix MF resolution if wanted........ I had the chance to use the new, not yet released Canon Fisheye Zoom 4/8-15mm on my HCam with the P45+ and this is as well breathtaking. I will need to evaluate this more closely as soon as the lens is in production status.
Additional infos about the lens here:
http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2010/08/25/canon-8-15mm-f4-l-the-fisheye-zoom-lens/

and here is a link for a first look-taken in Frankfurt on the PCP show:

http://www.hartblei.de/downloads/15mmFisheyeonP45plus.jpg

if you look closely into the picture you can see our new HCam-B1V using a Rodenstock Digital Apo Sironar 60mm :)

Will see Yair in Berlin on wednesday, so we can experiment with this, the 8-15 and an Aptus 12R I hope !

Greetings from right now Dresden
Stefan

Last edited:
R

richard.L

thread wakeup...
is there an owner of an HCam in Texas, or in No Cal area?

would love to check this out, will buy breakfast or lunch at restaurant of your choice..

richard....