The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad HC 100mm vs 150mm

leicashot

What lens do you have now? Did you find an issue with it so you want to get another lens? I use 80mm on headshots almost 100% until i got 100 then it became around 80-90%, i don't think i will use 100 more than 80, even if i will do i feel that my 80 was a great lens and did the job, so if you have 80 and you didn't like i can understand, but if you don't have it then i may tell you go with 100, but i use that 80 on general photography as well and not just portraits, so i feel that 80mm can serve me more over 100, if i will shoot portraits outdoors i will go with 80mm because that FL is a bit wider so it may give me more room for another elements, and i may add 100 later, but for now i feel if i didn't have 100 i will not be missing anything, i may miss 80mm if i have 100 only and i tested 80 sometimes, i prefer wider side than longer even when shooting portraits, on my 35mm [Canon] i use my 24-70 more over 70-200.
I am going to pick up the 35-90mm as my main lens and need to add another for portraits. I don't have an 80 so I feel the 100mm will be better, although it's 3 times the price used.

leicashot

One more question. For headshots, I'm reading people are using the 80/100mm, but isn't the perspectibe too stretched and focal length too short?

David Schneider

I'm no expert but I have a H3d2-39 with hc 100, 150, 210 for portraits. Honestly, they are all sharp. Someone said the 210 is heavy, but barely more than a Canon 70-200 I or II f2.8. And on a camera stand, who cares? Yes, the 100 at f2.2 has wafer thin dof. But the 210 at f11 with subject 7 feet away, the dof is 3 inches. That's pretty wafer thin too, more so if you get down to f5.6.

If I'm doing a studio session I tend to use the 100 for full length to 3/4, the 150 from 3/4 to head and shoulders, the 210 for head and shoulders. But I've done portraits with all of them if I don't want to change lenses or don't have time. I use the 100 for family groups before I use my hc 35 if at all possible.

Last edited: