The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Pro question

Valentin

Hi,

I used to use C1 extensively until they changed the interface with v4. I just installed v6 to see how it looks and give it another try.

I remember with v3.xx you could specify where to have the preview and work files (I like to keep the work files along with the RAW files for easy back up). I looked in the preferences and I can't find that option anymore. Is it still possible to tell the program where to keep those files?

gazwas

Not quite sure what you mean but in V6 the RAW files are stored in the capture folder and within the capture folder along with your RAW files are two other folders (cache and settings) that contain your image previews and adjstment settings.

Just back up the Capture folder and all you images along with their adjustment settings are together.

Valentin

Not quite sure what you mean but in V6 the RAW files are stored in the capture folder and within the capture folder along with your RAW files are two other folders (cache and settings) that contain your image previews and adjstment settings.

Just back up the Capture folder and all you images along with their adjustment settings are together.
Thanks. It looks like now it's automatically created under the folder where the files reside. In 3.x (and prior) versions, you could decide where you what these folders to be.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You can make your output files go anywhere you want outside of the session folder. I do this a lot sometimes. In the Processing tab I can direct the final output anywhere i want. Doing that the final images will not go in the session folder if that is what you are after.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks. It looks like now it's automatically created under the folder where the files reside. In 3.x (and prior) versions, you could decide where you what these folders to be.
For anyone getting confused...

You could only specificy Cache/Preview locations on Windows. On Mac they have always (including v3) been in a subfolder alongside the raw files.

As a shameless plug we have Capture One Pro Workshops in 13 cities this year.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Valentin

You could only specificy Cache/Preview locations on Windows. On Mac they have always (including v3) been in a subfolder alongside the raw files....
Doug, I didn't know that. Yes, it was a PC. Since it puts them now in the files folder, it's no biggie. The advantage of allowing you to choose the location is that you could put them on a separate HD (SSD for example) which would speed up the workflow.

Valentin

You can make your output files go anywhere you want outside of the session folder. I do this a lot sometimes. In the Processing tab I can direct the final output anywhere i want. Doing that the final images will not go in the session folder if that is what you are after.
Thanks Guy. I know you can output in different locations ... I was looking for the preview/work files (the ones that hold the info in regard to the adjustments).

Guy Mancuso

They stay with your session folder in the output folder is a folder called capture One and than a cache than proxies folder.

I actually like that they stay WITH your session folder this way it keeps you hard drive clean and everything with that certain session folder stays together. I did in the past not make session folders and just used a default well one day I went to clean and it was 4gbs of adjustment files. So I changed my ways and started doing sessions than i also back up everything together on separate drives . Than when I need that job back say a month later I just download the folder back to the desktop and work from there. Once you get used to working with sessions it really makes organizing yourself better. I fought this for a long time and finally gave in. Jacks laughing right now

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
So, experimenting with C1Pro 6 alongside Aperture; first a description of my present workflow, then my question:

I copy from 4GB CF cards, used in various cameras. 4GB, because they fit on a DVD, and in my present workflow, once copied to HDD, DVD copies are made immediately before doing anything else. Old school these days, with RAID arrays and so on, but it has worked for me for a long time.

My question is how to handle the files once in folders on my "Raw" drive. If I point C1Pro6 at that folder on that drive, it makes all its cache and other folders within that folder. I know that Outputs can be put anywhere (I have a second drive called WIP (work in progress) for prints, galleries, and so on) that can be used this way.

If I make a session on another drive, it will duplicate these files on Import, as far as I can see. In the big picture, this might not be a problem and I would have an additional backup in this case. Aperture, on the other hand, can be pointed to the Raw drive, and it makes previews from these files, but does not add any files to the original folder. Can C1Pro work this way? for various reasons, I would much prefer to keep the Raw HDD clean with only the as-transferred files on it.

Or is it better to simply allow C1 to duplicate the files as mentioned, and then keep all its files in the Sessions folder?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
My question is how to handle the files once in folders on my "Raw" drive. If I point C1Pro6 at that folder on that drive, it makes all its cache and other folders within that folder. I know that Outputs can be put anywhere (I have a second drive called WIP (work in progress) for prints, galleries, and so on) that can be used this way.

If I make a session on another drive, it will duplicate these files on Import, as far as I can see. In the big picture, this might not be a problem and I would have an additional backup in this case. Aperture, on the other hand, can be pointed to the Raw drive, and it makes previews from these files, but does not add any files to the original folder. Can C1Pro work this way? for various reasons, I would much prefer to keep the Raw HDD clean with only the as-transferred files on it.

Or is it better to simply allow C1 to duplicate the files as mentioned, and then keep all its files in the Sessions folder?
"Can C1Pro work this way?"
No

"Or is it better to simply allow C1 to duplicate the files as mentioned, and then keep all its files in the Sessions folder?"
No

"For various reasons, I would much prefer to keep the Raw HDD clean with only the as-transferred files on it."
If this is highly important to you then C1 is not for you. It requires the cache/settings to be alongside the raws. There are various advantageous to this, including incredible portability of any given session (since all information about the session is contained within a folder and not a centralized database/archive/file) and it basically only has one draw back (the visual and file structure "messiness" of having an extra folder called "Capture One" inside of which is the C1 cache/settings for that raw(s) anywhere you have a raw file.

However we all have different needs, and if one of your (high-priority) needs is to keep the drive "clean" of any file other than the original raw then C1 will simply not work for you.

I've often considered writing an Apple Script that would simply hide all folders called "Capture One". Some people get really hung up on seeing them. I did too at first several years ago, but they sort of fade into the background and become part of the "norm". Now I might even miss them if they were gone :ROTFL:.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

ggriswold

I attended the Atlanta Capture Integration workshop for Capture One last month. It was fantastic. There is no substitute for seeing all the powerful tools demonstrated one by one. Doug moved through each module and had great tips on customizing the program to suit each users needs. It was a full ten hour day, but invaluable to getting the most out of the software and more importantly realizing your photographic aspirations...
During breaks you can meet some talented people who have had their own experiences and tricks to share. And hey, it's a bargain at $99.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Doug, if I get the U S work visa I have applied for, then you have a new student. I am going to take a long look at how both these programs work—and both are deep and powerful, as far as I can see.

One day, I would love to see a definitive comparison between them, for FF DSLRs, of the sort I use for work (D700, A850).

And, Doug, I can rework my usual workflow to accommodate the way C1 'thinks'—but I would love some definitive reasons for doing so. I have been an ACR user since ACR 2, but somewhere around ACR 7 Aperture finally started to work, and I moved to that. As a total workflow that covers galleries/proofs and excellent results for me for these two cameras, it seems hard to beat. As well, it thinks like other Apple products that I use daily (like Final Cut Pro, for example).

I might just need an attitude adjustment—if I can be convinced that C1 Pro 6 will do a better job than Aperture.

Guy Mancuso

Kit you need a attitude adjustment. LOL

Seriously it does take some rethinking on our part as I had to do this also. I use to spilt the raws and finals up and not do sessions. Problem there is you fill you hard drive with adjustments on your hard drive. Sessions make them portable to different machines and such which is pretty cool. Also you can and sometimes I do this is split the finals off to a different folder. So there are a lot of tricks you can do but in the end it is best the adjustment folder stay with the Raws so 6 months from now you can go right back to working with your older adjustments or make new ones. Besides all that C1 in my mind is the best raw processor there is period. Thats my opinion though

Valentin

For me, the biggest drawback of not allowing the user to select a different location is speed: put them on a SSD. Since they are not high capacity (as of now), you can't put too much work on them. Of course, workload differs for different photographers and for some the existing SSDs might be enough.

...and it basically only has one draw back (the visual and file structure "messiness" of having an extra folder called "Capture One" inside of which is the C1 cache/settings for that raw(s) anywhere you have a raw file. ...

Newsletter | RSS Feed

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ Guy—I knew this, and other people say so, too!!! LOL

I desperately want to do a course on this program; I got the Lum. Landscape ones, and have worked through most of Peter Eastway's ones, too.

Main reason is your and Jack's opinion: I respect these. Without being shown al the power under the hood, it's easy to slip back into what you know well. I'll keep plugging away at it. Thanks! KL

Valentin

OK, I've got a couple more questions:

1. In LR, when I rate an image (1 star), it moves to the next image (it's a setting that you can turn on/off). Is that possible on C1?

2. When having multiple images selected (trying to decide which one to keep), if I try to rate the one I want (white border around it), it applies the rating to all images selected. What's the point of comparing multiple images if you can't rate the ONE you want?

Am I missing some setting or what?

Thanks.

Steve Hendrix

OK, I've got a couple more questions:

1. In LR, when I rate an image (1 star), it moves to the next image (it's a setting that you can turn on/off). Is that possible on C1?

2. When having multiple images selected (trying to decide which one to keep), if I try to rate the one I want (white border around it), it applies the rating to all images selected. What's the point of comparing multiple images if you can't rate the ONE you want?

Am I missing some setting or what?

Thanks.
Valentin -

You could un-toggle the Edit Primary and Edit Selects (make it grey), so that anything you do only applies to the primary selection.

The Edit toggle switch is in the upper toolbar normally somewhere below the camera menu, depending on your workspace.

Steve Hendrix