The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA TC

Don Libby

I've been shooting my landscapes with a Cambo WRS for slightly over 2 years now and while it is hand-hold able I wouldn't recommend it. I'll be trying out the Cambo Compact beginning next week and should be able to report on it Shorty.

I saw the Alpa TC while visiting Ken Doo in Monterey last month and it got be thinking about a slightly smaller (the WRS is already small) and lighter weight camera to pack in and shoot slot canyons and cliff dwellings.

While there isn't much on the web about the Cambo Compact I wouldn't discount it as an alternative.

Don

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Don,
The Cambo Wide Compact is a nice little system. I have a few clients that are using it.

It is a great compliment to existing users of the Cambo RS and DS since it will share the same lens boards. It is also a great value.

The one thing is that the handle is a little bulky and only on the side. So if you have smaller hands (not you) it may be a little cumbersome. It is also bit on the heavy side @ 700gr w/o lens.

I also like that it has hooks on it for a neck-strap and two spirit levels (the little things that sometimes get overlooked).

Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Lance

etrump

I travel to some extreme places with cambo rs and ziploc bags in tow. I use the rs handheld when I have to and feel it is a comfortable fit for me. (I am adding strap posts to it though. Hanging over the edge of a boat shooting ice flows in Antarctica was a bit disconcerting).

My thought has been that the iq and resolution is worth having the lenses cleaned more often. The copal shutter is the weakest link (more due to cold than dust or water in my experience) but fortunately have had no failures that rendered the system unusable. The phase backs are built like tanks and I often shoot my t/c in wet and dusty blowing conditions. A modest bill for cleaning after a trip is worth the difference in IQ. That said, I do carry a lot of batteries.

While the d3x is a great camera I don't think it can be considered in any way near mfdb quality in terms of color, dr, and resolution. Sometimes you don't have a choice to use mfdb (primarily when stabilized lenses are a requirement for conditions) and the d3x fits that bill nicely. At full resolution I have found my p65 very comparable in higher iso to the d3x especially when considering you have almost triple the resolution. Neither one is useable over iso 400 but there is sensor+ which is a godsend.

rdubois

This has been a very interesting discussion and thanks to all for the given opinions and also suggestions to look at alternatives to the Alpa.

Having done substantial more research it really does seem to me that the Alpa TC is the only camera of this type which can seriously be considered small enough for extensive travel. I come back to the photo of Guy with the Alpa on a Nikon grip which shows that this is indeed a very small package. Interestingly, the alternatives always seem to be shown attached to a tripod or at least a tripod mount. Something I'm really not looking for.

I'm less concerned with ruggedness of the digital backs than I am with the relative delicate nature of the exposed lens. Ruggedness is dependant on many aspects; not just weather sealing and in my view almost more important is the capacity of a camera type to withstand knocks and bumps. Contrary to some of your comments, I've never had a camera which looked pristine after a year or two of usage. In ruggedness terms the Nikon D3 is very good and can withstand a lot of unintentional abuse.

As I've agreed in an earlier post, my heart is stronger than my head in this decision which I know is silly but nonetheless the TC seems like a very good package which may well answer my requirements.

jlm

Workshop Member
Something you might also consider is that, at least for the wide angles (40-47mm) I have been looking at, the Schneider lenses are more compact than the Rodenstock. Also some of the lenses that do not project a large image circle might be an adequate choice for a back with no movements

Don Libby

I really don't understand why there's so little information available regarding the Cambo Compact, the only images I've been able to pull up are similar to what Lance posted - all product shots. I've been able find the dimensions and compared them to my WRS. The WRS is 6.10"x6.49" (155x165m) and the Compact is 6.49"x5.90" (165x150m). The weight difference is 1.1 pound in favor of the Compact. So without anything else to guide me it appears the Compact is slightly less bulky as the WRS which is svelte and weighs less. I should be getting the Compact Monday and plan to post a heck of a lot more images of it than there already are.

I'd like to add on to what Ed has added to his reply as well. I too go places that are extreme in nature. I've shot at the bottom of waterfalls in Yosemite, in snow, sleet, cold weather in Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Jackson Hole to name a few. I've also shot in what I consider is very close to a rain forest in Northern California in the Redwoods. Then there is Death Valley which is on the other extreme, sandy, windy, dust/sand storms etc.

While shooting a technical camera isn't the same as using a Canon 1DsIII or Phase/Mamiya 645 it is not as delicate as what I first thought. My P45+ has never given me a moments problems being wet, cold or dusty - of course I limit removing the back, changing orientation as much as I can and usually can shoot a day's worth of images with one-card. The only problem I've ever really encountered with the back is little grains of sand getting in the way of fully inserting the battery in a battery change however I found a decent workaround so that doesn't bother me.

The lenses I use are all Schneider (not that it matters) however I pre-select the focal length I want to use and try every hard to never swap lenses in the middle of a shot. I have swapped lenses and have found by moving the camera (on the Cube) down wind I can swap a lens in seconds thus keeping as much weather out as possible. Of course it helps if you have 3-hands which isn't always the case for me.

So I guess the question remains - is a technical camera as sturdy, weather resistant as say a 645 body? I'd say it's close if you take proper precautions (I always carry a large plastic bag) - then again a 645 normally isn't as weather resistant as say our Canon 1DsIII.

Best of luck to you.

Don

Anders_HK

I'm less concerned with ruggedness of the digital backs than I am with the relative delicate nature of the exposed lens.
Considering that large format lenses of current robust design have been around alot longer than other lenses, this should be a no issue provided cared for properly.

The mere difference in the new digital compared to traditional film large format lenses are the optics and tolerances for digital. Apart from that a Rodenstock HR or old Schneider with Copal looks amazing same :).

Regards
Anders

rdubois

Something you might also consider is that, at least for the wide angles (40-47mm) I have been looking at, the Schneider lenses are more compact than the Rodenstock. Also some of the lenses that do not project a large image circle might be an adequate choice for a back with no movements
This is another thing which attracts me to Alpa: the sheer choice of lenses and accessories and options. The Alpa seems a very mature system and a mature company with a great website. This especially compared to the Arca Swiss which has no website at all and after a week since I sent an email I'm still waiting for details of the RM2D

@ Don Libby: your experiences are very encouraging

@ Anders "Considering that large format lenses of current robust design have been around alot longer than other lenses, this should be a no issue provided cared for properly." I'm sure you're right but they look more delicate or less streamlined especially the shutter release which look as if they can easily be caught in branches and collect dust and mud. The experiences of some of you seem to indicate however that the Alpa has been used in rougher conditions and has stood up well!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Dubois

You might want to consider contacting dealers directly regarding the Arca product info. In my experience they are very helpful and knowledgeable whether Alpa, Arca or others.

Btw, if you are looking at Alpa then you might want also to look at the new iPhone viewfinder solution. Mine arrived today and so far I'm impressed with the hi-tech option plus it clips off for a small package on the camera when packing it away. Horrible price but then again on the flip side it IS cheaper than the optical finder (which isn't saying much I know!) assuming that you don't already have one - more accurate too so far in my very limited testing. The downside vs optical VF is that you'll need a wide angle adapter for the iPhone for super-wides beyond 35mmfor example.

Good luck with your quest!!

Last edited:

archivue

the RM2D is smaller than the RM3Di but share the same mount... you can also mount your R lens on an M line... a complete system !

and the view finder is the best on the market !

jlm

Workshop Member
Graham:
Hah! i am just finishing a design for an Iphone holder that i will be manufacturing. should have the first one made next week. It will fit a standard hotshoe and let the phone rotate 90 degrees on the phone's lens axis to frame portait or landscape. last detail i am trying to add is a parallax adjustment so you can tune the viewfinder frame to match the camera.

won't cost $560 either.

GrahamWelland

John: Very cool! There's certainly a market out there for this.

I originally tried one of the plastic tripod iPhone solutions but they definitely lacked parallax correction, not to mention no resiliency at all. The Alpa holder is very well made with precise detents for symmetric/parallax corrected locations and the sprung holder has shaped inserts for iPhone 4/3/Touch etc.

Btw, $560? Unfortunately it's $730 from Alpa :eek:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
John: Very cool! There's certainly a market out there for this.
Btw, $560? Unfortunately it's $730 from Alpa :eek:
It has always been and will always be more expensive to have special preferences .

A glance at a ROLEX gives you the same time as a glance to any other watch.
But you looked at a ROLEX :ROTFL: etc. etc.

Yes , very cool , John . Show us images of your device .

GrahamWelland

It has always been and will always be more expensive to have special preferences .

A glance at a ROLEX gives you the same time as a glance to any other watch.
But you looked at a ROLEX :ROTFL: etc. etc.
True, although I do feel that we get charged the platinum rolex price for albeit a nice aluminum/steel product. :(

rdubois

Re: ALPA TC any last advice?

Well, with some trepidation I've decided to go for the TC with Apo-Switar 5.6/36 mm and leaf aptus ii 7 although chickening out some by keeping the D3s.

Any last advice before I sign the cheque and how do I break this to "she who must be obeyed"?? :rolleyes:

Dubois

stephengilbert

Dubois,

Check out the Really Right Stuff MPR-73 3/8 camera plate. It's long enough to allow nodal point panning, is very rigid, and even works as a sort of hand grip.

Steve

Dubois,
Having shot LF and many classic cameras been rained on, shat on, slipped down muddy slopes and god knows what else in 30 - 45C 99% humidity tropical and sub tropical rain forest, with a PC cable between lens and back, the only thing to worry about is surely the digital back and in particular the cooling fan intakes/exhaust on the aptus 7. I think youll have a great time with that setup.

I always use the mercedes argument with the missus (if i dont get my camera you wont get a merc - NO only kidding), i mean the resale value of this is much better than say getting a nikon or canon body today with all the new models immenent and stuff.

Last edited: