The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PhaseOne 150mm - LS or Standard

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The flames are roaring today in Dante's Inferno! :)

I'm staying away today since a big box just arrived, fresh off the boat from Denmark. ;)

alajuela

While we're on the subject of lenses, without trying to hijack this thread, what do users have to say about the 120 TS lens? It's likely my next purchase unless I finally bite the bullet and go to a tech cam.

Any opinions valued!
Hi Hi Bill Bill

Go Tech Go Tech -- especially if going wide --- But I got the new 120 Schneider from Dave @ CI for the Cambo - my advice is to wear gloves, it is that sharp.

Tech camera shooting is the best!!!!! The one problem with Tech is that you keep wishing you were as good as you equipment.

You will love the tech - Tabasco on the bullet makes it easier. :angel:

best

Phil

PS - I now turn the thread back to our sponsors :chug:

alajuela

Bill, I really wanted to like that lens, but the mirror slap was so bad that I could never get anything sharp at low shutter speeds. At hand holdable shutter speeds, its great....But most applications for landscape would dictate use on a tripod.

The design of the tripod foot may have a lot to do with it. From what I understood when I looked at it, it was designed more for studio/flash work at higher shutter speeds than the typical use I would put it through. It think there were some threads from a couple of years ago on this.

I have seen the lens on sale here for as little as 3K, so if it works for you, could be good value. Cheers...
Hi

Did you use the mirror LU with a 5 - 7 sec delay?

I find it works

Thanks

Phil

jagsiva

Hi

Did you use the mirror LU with a 5 - 7 sec delay?

I find it works

Thanks

Phil
I tried everything, including a wireless remote. From what it seemed, the tripod foot on the lens was quite narrow for such a lens. I think the FP shutter was still causing vibrations. I tried quite a few things. Believe me, I tried hard as, like Bill, I was trying to avoid the Tech Cam money pit :)

alajuela

I tried everything, including a wireless remote. From what it seemed, the tripod foot on the lens was quite narrow for such a lens. I think the FP shutter was still causing vibrations. I tried quite a few things. Believe me, I tried hard as, like Bill, I was trying to avoid the Tech Cam money pit :)
One of the the things I did when I had an extremely anal day, was to get a laser pointer - secure it in the hot shot, mount everything on the tripod - do MU with 7 sec delay. Aim the camera at a white wall - about 30 - 40 feet. Trigger the shutter, and then walk to the wall and watch to see it the laser dot moves, when the shutter moves.

I think this gives a pretty good qualitative idea if there is a vibration, Then you can go to the next stage of trying to isolate it and remedy the problem.

Also for example on my 300, (which has a lens foot) I still clamp the camera, I think the Digital back is heaver than the lens, at least more mass.

I remember Jack, did a study on some lenses that has certain shutter speeds to avoid, interesting because it was not - speeds below a certain speed, but something like 1/15 was bad, yet 1/4 and 1/60 were fine for 300mm.

I know for me - I find a world of difference when shooting the DF on a monopod. Which by the way once you develop techniques is really not a big deal, I am talking shooting on the street. You get good and fast- I use a hand strap on the camera, the Gitzo 5 series monopod , RRS tripod head, Gitzo fat foot, and the smart flex plate. I should also mention - when I have time (not trying to catch a fleeting moment) I will use MU on the monopod - The key is technique and practice - practice.

The Tech is a different type of shooting, don't avoid it, if you already have a DB, get one lens (a 40 is my favorite) and a board (Camera) used, you will love it. Look on this forum on the FS / WTB posts, or call Capture Integration (that's what I did)

Thanks

Phil

PPS Since this is Dantes Inferno, after the tech you can get an Arca Swiss F line :watch:

Last edited:

jagsiva

I remember Jack, did a study on some lenses that has certain shutter speeds to avoid, interesting because it was not - speeds below a certain speed, but something like 1/15 was bad, 1/4 and 1/60 were fine for 300mm.
Exactly, it is only specific speeds where I was seeing this, it happened to be in the 1/10-1/60 range.

Too late on the tech cam, already heavily invested with a bag full of Rodie lenses. Now if I can only get the new Achromatic to focus accurately (no LV), I'd be a happy camper.