The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS ballhead question

Dolce Moda

Which ballhead from Really Right Stuff would be most suitable for something like a Hasselblad H3D with a HC 210/4 attached?

I won't be using it for anything heavier than this. Will the BH-40 be sufficient? or do I really need the BH-55 instead?

Jeffg53

I have one on a light setup. It's probably OK provided you are using an L bracket. Ballheads last an awfully long time, I would buy the BH-55. I am still using an Arca B1 that has survived many camera systems.

T

tetsrfun

Which ballhead from Really Right Stuff would be most suitable for something like a Hasselblad H3D with a HC 210/4 attached?

I won't be using it for anything heavier than this. Will the BH-40 be sufficient? or do I really need the BH-55 instead?
What tripod will it be mounted on?

Steve

Jeffg53

You need the L bracket if you will ever use it in portrait mode. There's so much weight with the H that it just won't be usable tilted to one side. I started off with a Kirk plate but soon found that the L bracket is the only way to go. Bear in mind that I am using it for landscape so I want stability for longer than you might.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I've used to shoot the H1 with the 210 on occasion using the BH-55. Personally I think that's your better choice.
As far as L bracket, first accessory I buy for every camera.

I use the BH-55 and its awesome, Walk around with the camera on the end of the tripod over the shoulder and don't worry about it falling of at all!

T

tetsrfun

I have a Manfrotto 055XB... i think.
That is what I initially put my BH-55 on when I bought one....didn't take long for me to realize that I needed a leg upgrade...It's a never ending cycle. :>)

Steve