The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Wide Compact

Don Libby

Shelby,
Some say I have a bias for Cambo and they'd be correct! :D

The WRS might not be the very best out there however it does offer a heck of a lot in its money class and I've never had a problem recommending it.

I used to have a tilt/shift lens when I was shooting landscape with a DSLR however I found I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. Then since switching to MF I had a T/S with the Mamiya 645 and again didn't use it as much. Since going to the technical camera I have not owned nor used, nor missed the ability to tilt/shift however I am a very firm believer in the rise/fall and lateral shift movements the WRS offers me. I can take my 120mm lens and use the movements to the far extremes and get beautiful images and that is the primary reason I would never have just one technical camera if it didn't offer movements.

I recommend saving for what you really want instead of jumping the gun and ending up spending more. I've seen used WRSs coming up on the second hand market now where just a year ago you couldn't find one. Then again you might luck out and get a demo from that place in Atlanta GA....

malmac

Hi Cambo Fans and Users

Well yesterday was my birthday (really) and I bought myself a Cambo WDS with a 35mm lens and a P65+ back, which will be upgraded to an IQ160 when they arrive.

So where is the first image you ask. Well the sad story is that the sync cable was not included in the box. So at the moment waiting on my dealer to supply the cable and also it will be easier to use when the viewfinder arrives which is on back order.

So thank you to those of you who have posted regarding your technical cameras which has helped me move to my first.

I really enjoy seeing your images so here is one I took with my Canon 5D Mk2 with the TSe24mm lens using the shift function. iso 100, 1/160 sec at f16.

dogstarnyc

Shelby,

I have two of the mamiya 50mm F4 shift lenses and after a hesitant start could not be happier with them. I'm selling one soon as the newer one I bought recently is an absolute, never been used, still in the original box, 'minter'.

Both have been to mamiya, both are 'tip top' and if you want to know a little more about them, this is the site for it.

Guy and I think Jack both have one.

I suffered at first trying to shoot beyond F16 and expecting the hyperfocal technique to be spot on (they aren't). But after some good advice on here I'm really happy and as many owners of this lens will tell you, it's the lens I use most.

It's much cheaper than a (wonderful) cambo set up however the Cambo has I think 20mm of shift, the mamiya holds it's own pretty well at 13mm and 16mm respectively.

just my 2C, hope you are enjoying your MFDB... and the trumpet.

Steve

malmac

Well my dealer sent up the missing sync cable, Thanks Richard, and today I ducked into our back garden to try it out.

Here is my first Cambo image taken with the P65+ back at 100iso.
Taken on a tripod, 1/250 at F8. Focus set at 4 metres.

No view finder yet and no laptop, so just pointed camera in general direction and took and educated guess at the exposure.

I am looking forward to getting out and about and giving it a good run.

Keep on shooting.

Mal

J

Jim2

Don, thanks for the AMAZING photos of Cambo. They are exquisite!

Question: how would you compare Cambo vs Arca rm3d(i)?

One thing that I noticed is that Cambo's Tilt/swing solution allows for simultaneous tilt and swing.

Maybe Arca needs to come up with rm4d to offer both tilt and swing - I'm not sure how tricky it would be to create the mechanism but that would be awesome.

Just from looking at the photos... Cambo seems quite 'rough' in terms of the latches and the little things whereas the Arca and alpa seem to be more well made / designed.

Don Libby

Don, thanks for the AMAZING photos of Cambo. They are exquisite!

Question: how would you compare Cambo vs Arca rm3d(i)?

One thing that I noticed is that Cambo's Tilt/swing solution allows for simultaneous tilt and swing.

Maybe Arca needs to come up with rm4d to offer both tilt and swing - I'm not sure how tricky it would be to create the mechanism but that would be awesome.

Just from looking at the photos... Cambo seems quite 'rough' in terms of the latches and the little things whereas the Arca and alpa seem to be more well made / designed.
Hi Jim. I'm very pleased with the images of the Compact and glad to have them posted in order to add more than the sparse product images. I really don't understand why Cambo is hiding this camera as it did look and feel great in my hands.

I've been extremely pleased with the fit and finish of my WRS and feel the WDS and Compact both come in just as well. Cambo offers a system that allows for very user friendly swapping of lenses; the WRS has two leavers while the WDS and Compact has the one. In all three cases I found the fit of the lenses to be very tight with no play whatsoever.

I also agree that Cambo has a winning solution in their tilt/swing thus adding even more movements to an already good design. You thoughts on the "roughness" between the Cambo and maybe another might be important only if you what the system to look good however I've tested the three cameras and have never found a fault with them. Plus consider the cost savings which allow for more glass...

I've skirted the issue until now - you asked my opinion regarding the Cambo vs Arca re3d(I). I can not offer an opinion as I've never actually used or held the Arca. I will admit the Arca looks sexy however I ask myself do I want a pug that I know will put out for me or do I want a sexy thing that might require additional upkeep. And that's my opinion - which I might change if I ever actually held/used an Arca however I have no desire to.

Don

J

Jim2

Hi Jim. I'm very pleased with the images of the Compact and glad to have them posted in order to add more than the sparse product images. I really don't understand why Cambo is hiding this camera as it did look and feel great in my hands.

I've been extremely pleased with the fit and finish of my WRS and feel the WDS and Compact both come in just as well. Cambo offers a system that allows for very user friendly swapping of lenses; the WRS has two leavers while the WDS and Compact has the one. In all three cases I found the fit of the lenses to be very tight with no play whatsoever.

I also agree that Cambo has a winning solution in their tilt/swing thus adding even more movements to an already good design. You thoughts on the "roughness" between the Cambo and maybe another might be important only if you what the system to look good however I've tested the three cameras and have never found a fault with them. Plus consider the cost savings which allow for more glass...

I've skirted the issue until now - you asked my opinion regarding the Cambo vs Arca re3d(I). I can not offer an opinion as I've never actually used or held the Arca. I will admit the Arca looks sexy however I ask myself do I want a pug that I know will put out for me or do I want a sexy thing that might require additional upkeep. And that's my opinion - which I might change if I ever actually held/used an Arca however I have no desire to.

Don
Don, thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that the lens fittings on the Cambo is solid. It seems that the lenses on the Cambo are generally heavier (and bigger) than Arca's because Arca's lenses don't need to have the helical focusing ring on each lens. Also those little side 'arms' on the lenses would both add weight and take up more space in the bag? Are they meant to 'protect' the lenses during transport?

On the cost savings side of things.... how much does the WRS cost? and what about the individual lenses.. are they actually cheaper than Arca's lenses (curious since each of cambo's lenses has to include extra focusing mechanism)

Don Libby

The side arms are detachable. I had at first thought of removing the "bumpers" to reduce the footprint however I very quickly found they serve a purpose - easy to pick up and hol on to, protects the lens, in a way they just look good..

It's been many years since I bought my WRS and lenses which should tell ya how pleased I am with this setup - I think I'll replace my back (P45+) way before I change my system.

I'm no salesperson and don't want to be so take the following with a grain of salt. I made a very fast visit to Calumet and did a search on Cambo lenses. It looks like a 35mm (WDS-552) runs around $4,400, a 72mm (WDS-566) $3,100, and a 150mm $3,300. Calumet also shows $2,800 for a WRS body with the interface plate running between $430 and $520. These prices get you inside the ballpark. You need to contact a dealer (mine's Capture Integration) and work with them to get a better price. My experience is that places like Calumet is unwilling or unable to offer the same level of deals or after sales experience that a smaller dealer can.

:OT:Once you find a dealer that treats you like you feel they should don't let go of them no matter what. I've been with CI for over 3-years and feel fortunate that I found them.:OT:

Don

J

Jim2

Thanks for the price info. The lenses seem to cost almost the same as Arca's. The body about 3K cheaper, and the plate is slightly cheaper also. But overall there isn't that much of a difference I think, since the body / plate are a one off thing.

A separate question: Would you use your WRS and the Phase back in a light rain situation where your camera will get some light rain drops? Or Would you shoot at the Antelope canyons (you know how dusty it is), or zebra slot (very sandy)?

jlm

Workshop Member
i have the WRS and two T/S cambo lenses, 43 and 70. the T/S lenses are in the 4k range, pretty close to the Arca lenses, however:

I have two axes of shift with the Cambo body (arca has one)
I have T/S with each lens, (Arca has none)
There is absolutely no problem with fit and finish, the camera has levels all over it, the cameras and lenses are much more available than Arca

Arca lenses each need to be fitted with the special bayonet mount, which tends to offset the cost savings for no helicoid with each lens. The Arca body is more $ however since it has the high precision helicoid. I'm sure fit and finish is excellent.

Don Libby

I've shot in blowing sand and snow in temps from well above 105 to well below 32 and in one case near 0.

I've used the WRS on a beach in CA (actually in the surf) in the Redwoods during a drizzle and in Yosemite in rain, snow and sleet. I've also used this in the freezing early morning shot in Jackson Hole. The only thing I haven't done is take this setup underwater.

The Cambo is a strong camera, likewise the Phase One back. The weakest link of the three comments (lens, body, back) is in my opinion the lens - weather wise. Other than that it would be the battery - but then again I remember standing in close to 3' snow in the South Rim in December freezing my lower brains off and in the end I gave up before the battery.

Is a tech camera weather proof? No. Is a tech camera weather resistant? To some degree it is. I will normally carry a small light-weight towel to set over the system in-between shots to help keep the accumulation of snow and rain off to a minimum. (I'll also carry a spare batter in an inside pocket).

The is another reason I'm glad Cambo is offering the new wood handles for the RS - I see them as a way of better gripping with gloves.

To answer your final question - I'm headed to Bluff UT next week to shoot in and around Comb Ridge, Valley of the Gods and Monument Valley - all can be very windy and dusty at times and yes I'll be using the Cambo. Likewise I'll be joining Ken Doo at Page in June where we'll be shooting Antelope and yes I'll be using the WRS there as well.

Hope this helps

Don

Don Libby

Any one else notice that not once in any of my responses have I once mentioned the Cube? Oops guess I just did... :ROTFL::ROTFL:

J

Jim2

Thanks again for sharing your experience with WRS/Phase one. Have fun in UT and Antelope! :) What's with the Cube?

Don Libby

The following is my opinion so take it as is.

A tech camera by it's very nature is "normally" used on anything other than a sturdy tripod and head. The act of using a tech camera is a cross of being just sexy and slow (as in watching the grass grow). This is not a system that you hold in your hands put up to you eye, focus and shoot. A tech camera takes a lot of deliberation. Framing the shot in you brain, setting the tripod up, setting the tech camera on top, leveling the system all the while composing and recomposing the image in you head. Once the camera is set and ready you then need to rethink what it is that you want to capture making sure it's framed correctly. Then there's the entire manual thing; manual focus, setting the f/stop, setting your shutter speed. Also remembering to cock the shutter and removing the lens cap helps. Where am I leading to?

The Arca Swiss Cube. The Cube is mentioned in most threads within this section and there's even one or more threads solely on the subject. Like it or hate it it is simply one of the fastest, easiest, most expensive ways of assuring perfect sate of level I know of and I'm glad Jack talked me into getting one. The only thing scarcer on the aftermarket other than a WRS is a Cube.

Don

Edit - One point - yes you can handhold a tech camera and get decent images. However the other 99.99% of the time it'll be on a tripod.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The following is my opinion so take it as is.

A tech camera by it's very nature is "normally" used on anything other than a sturdy tripod and head. The act of using a tech camera is a cross of being just sexy and slow (as in watching the grass grow). This is not a system that you hold in your hands put up to you eye, focus and shoot. A tech camera takes a lot of deliberation. Framing the shot in you brain, setting the tripod up, setting the tech camera on top, leveling the system all the while composing and recomposing the image in you head. Once the camera is set and ready you then need to rethink what it is that you want to capture making sure it's framed correctly. Then there's the entire manual thing; manual focus, setting the f/stop, setting your shutter speed. Also remembering to cock the shutter and removing the lens cap helps. Where am I leading to?

The Arca Swiss Cube. The Cube is mentioned in most threads within this section and there's even one or more threads solely on the subject. Like it or hate it it is simply one of the fastest, easiest, most expensive ways of assuring perfect sate of level I know of and I'm glad Jack talked me into getting one. The only thing scarcer on the aftermarket other than a WRS is a Cube.

Don

Edit - One point - yes you can handhold a tech camera and get decent images. However the other 99.99% of the time it'll be on a tripod.
Don, :thumbs: on this post. It matches my experience also. I'd also add that shooting a tech camera with others shooting DSLRs can be problematic for the reasons you cite - i.e. the slow setup and more deliberate shooting that might not match the more rapid shoot & scoot off to the next location as others on a trip with you. (i.e. Something to consider if you're on a workshop ... )

With respect to the handheld shots I'd also add that 99.99% of your sharp shots will be off the tripod too unless you're blessed with lots of light or a high ISO on your digital back. :p

Last edited:

rhsu

I handheld a lot due to trekking and with aerial shots with WRS/HR28. Have done movements handheld. Certain countries ie AU, produce a tripod and you are banned (for lack of a licensing fee/permit) because you are deemed to be "pro" when seen with tripod or just banned completely! - as these things come as a surprise when you get free-range back home in Canada and US! So handheld capability is a plus.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I sympathize on that one. When I pay family visits back to the UK I get the same kind of reaction with a tripod - pro .... Or terrorist! Utterly pathetic behavior in my view.

Don Libby

I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done I just saying that I feel the main purpose of a tech camera is to sit on top of a sturdy perch to do what it does best. We are most fortunate to live and shoot in North America where tripods are allowed and (for the most part) photographers are free to express themselves.

I'll be shooting in slot canyons later this summer and will for the most part be on tripod as that is what's most suitable. I'll also be scrambling in and around a couple of cliff dwellings that I've yet to shoot and again the tripod will be used. I'll also have my M9 with me for those times when I might need an off tripod shot.

My experience using the WRS as well as a WDS and in fact the Compact handheld left me with the feelings that yes while it can be done I needed a third hand in order to do everything correct. Getting the focus correct can be problematic as there can be a slight difference between where you set the focus, say chest height and where you then actually take the capture, normally eye level. I found I needed to focus, set the f/stop, set the shutter speed then cock the shutter all as close to where I was going to take the capture in order to keep everything within its proper perspective.

Graham - You're correct, it can be difficult shooting with another person who is using a DSLR; Sandy who shoots a 1DsIII will often times be ready to move on to the next phase before I've even taken the first image.

I enjoy the slow paced almost leisurely way of using a tech camera.

J

Jim2

it can be difficult shooting with another person who is using a DSLR; Sandy who shoots a 1DsIII will often times be ready to move on to the next phase before I've even taken the first image.

I enjoy the slow paced almost leisurely way of using a tech camera.
Did the other person with 1ds3 use a tripod?