The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad news

T

thsinar

I can't say more than what I've said. All I can say is that it isn't correct that it belongs to a SW company.

The future will may be tell.

The reality is not always like it seems to be.

Best regards,
Thierry

Indeed, what are you talking about Thierry?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's not any huge national secret... It all happened a few years back, here's the press announcement:

"Mamiya, manufacturer of leading medium format cameras, such as the digital Mamiya ZD, has announced that its Optical Equipment Division will be transferred to a new company on September 1, 2006. The new company, Cosmo Digital Imaging Company, was formed by Cosmos Scientific Systems, a leading company in IT technology. Building on Mamiya's reputation and world wide distribution network, the new company will be able to achieve an even higher level of customer satisfaction."

LJL

So it begs the question of whom is Phase partnered with? Mamiya that is no longer the Optical Equipment Division, or with that division now under Cosmos? Who makes the lenses? Who makes the bodies? Who makes the backs? Are those all part of the older Optical Equipment Division that is now Cosmos, or are some parts still in Mamiya, whatever that entity is now?

Actually, it really does not matter much of the stuff gets built, works, gets supported, and has good customer service. Only difference might be changes in optics and such within the new operation.....improvements or not. Anybody else have thoughts they can share?

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well they are shipping but you know me yesterday would have been nicer. LOL

I just sent that to Lance. man is he sorry he ever meet me , what a PITA I am.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

bensonga

Don't know , Don't care I JUST ONE OF THESE. NOW !!!!!!!!!!
Ha!! I feel the same way Guy....except in my case, it's one of these.

For a few days, I thought I could suppress the desire for a MFDB by picking up a few more lenses for my Pentax 67 (55mm and 75mm Shift on it's way from KEH right now). Why I thought this would work....I don't know.

Seems like the only cure is for me to pick up the phone and give Steve Hendrix a call tomorrow. Time to actually order one of these beauties.

Yes, I think that's the cure for MFDB fever.....and I'm sure I will be very happy and satisfied with 16 megapixels. :ROTFL::ROTFL:

After all, amateurs like myself don't really need 50 megapixels, do we? :confused:

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hey look guys, I am really easy to please.

All I want in a system is a body that:

1) Has both focal plane shutter up to 1/8000 sec and f2.8 or faster leaf shutter lenses up to 1/1000,

2) has an auxiliary body with tilt and shift built in that accepts it's lenses,

3) Has prism, 45, waist-level and chimney finders,

4) rotating back,

5) offers focus confirmation with whatever lens I have mounted on it,

6) and is lightweight;

coupled to a back that:

1) has say 50 or 60 million really high quality pixels at up to say ISO 800 with reasonably fast capture rates,

2) has a crop to around 35 MP that offers 8 frames per second and clean ISO 1600,

3) kick-but color and AWB in both modes,

4) and renders a perfectly processed 1200x1600 pixel web-ready jpeg sidecar to the raw.

And of course I want to be able afford it when it is available...

:),

fotografz

Ha!!
After all, amateurs like myself don't really need 50 megapixels, do we? :confused:

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
Actually, no you don't, and neither do most professionals. That's why there are choices. The CFV is a good one of those choices amonst many. Just get it and go make magic ... ;)

jlm

Workshop Member
the only limitation i have run into with the CFV, 205TCC is the limited wide angle availability due to the sensor size, (1.5 crop). my widest is 40mm, or 60mm equivalent for 2-1/4 sq, about the same as a 35mm in 35mm format.
that led to adding the horseman, 35mm Rodenstock, CFV, which can shift/stitch, producing quite a wide field of view, plus keeping the film plane plumb.

woodyspedden

Actually, no you don't, and neither do most professionals. That's why there are choices. The CFV is a good one of those choices amonst many. Just get it and go make magic ... ;)
Actually I think the number of pixels you want or need is directly related to the print size you want. My 39Mpx back prints 22 x 30 at native (240 DPI) resolution. So I can go to the max width of my Epson 7800 with no uprezzing.

On the other hand, I have uprezzed my CFV files to go to the same size (actually 22 x 22) with very fine results.

Of course there are other reasons to want more resolution (i.e. more pixels) such as very fine detail for product shots (jewelry in particular) but for me, and my needs it is all about print size.

Woody