The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Lens Updates

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Phase One is shooting to deliver 5 new lenses this year. A few have been previously announced and people have been waiting patiently for them.
Here are some additional details :

Schneider Kreuznach 120 mm Macro TS should be volume shipping by June

Phase One 120 mm Macro AF testing is complete and production has been started.

Schneider Kreuznach 150mm LS - they are tweaking the design to get more quality out of it, expected to ship in volume from Q3. Little bit of a bummer , but if your investing this much in developing a piece of glass it definitely should be the best that it can be. Speak to your PhaseOne reseller for a special offer on the 110/LS if you have this lens on order and do not wish to wait.

They are working on a number of other lenses, and they are optimistic that in 2011 they will be able to deliver these lenses as well:

Schneider Kreuznach 75-150 mm LS
Schneider Kreuznach 240 mm LS

Hey I know that some of you may be disappointed with the time frames, but these are lenses that are very complicated to design and as manufacturers have stated it takes upwards of 3 years to design a lens.

More info to follow.

Lance

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Put me down immediately for the 240 LS. LOL

I heard about this the other day but did not let the cat out of the bag. Glad you did . LOL

Guy Mancuso

I think the macros are F4

The rest not sure. I'll take 2.8 though my guess the zoom and 240 are 3.5 or 4

lance_schad

Workshop Member
No specifics on a wider LS but also mentioned was that they are working on but no specific timeframe on a short zoom and a wide angle T/S.

All sounds good to me.

L

Guy Mancuso

Since the cat is out of the bag I heard up to ten lenses on the books.

Guys impression since Jack and I tested the IQ 180 was the word is out Phase is on the move to broaden this system in a big way. Be it marketing hype or fact it appears more fact as we see more and more announcements. I give them credit they are putting the money out in bad economic times to keep feeding us new toy's. Oh meant tools. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If I avoid the first batch (which seems to be a good thing for me) then thankfully that puts them all out to 2012 LOL
-bob

Steve Hendrix

Since the cat is out of the bag I heard up to ten lenses on the books.

Guys impression since Jack and I tested the IQ 180 was the word is out Phase is on the move to broaden this system in a big way. Be it marketing hype or fact it appears more fact as we see more and more announcements. I give them credit they are putting the money out in bad economic times to keep feeding us new toy's. Oh meant tools. LOL

One has to keep in mind that lenses are typically a 2 - 3 year project. So, any lenses on the board that are slated for 2011/2012 would have been started probably in 2008/2009.

They may not all hit at once - which is a reflection of development costs and success of the design - but this is why it often seems like they're not working on what we want, when in fact they are, and the process already under way for some time.

Steve Hendrix

Christopher

The only lens I would really want to see is 45-90, but I have the feeling I can wait forever... Sad, it would be such a great lens. I always liked the 55-110 but hoped for something a little wieder. Well and of course a better quality ;-)

coulombic

The only lens I would really want to see is 45-90, but I have the feeling I can wait forever... Sad, it would be such a great lens. I always liked the 55-110 but hoped for something a little wieder. Well and of course a better quality ;-)
I fully agree with you. I feel as if this would be the perfect "normal" lens for the system. The 55-110 is not nearly wide enough (and it's hard as hell to get a decent-performing copy). If they'd release the 45-90, I'd buy one on the spot.

The 75-150LS is likely to be awesome, but for a very happy owner of the 75-150 D, I have trouble raising an eyebrow over the inclusion of the LS. I'm very curious as far as what the prices of these new LS lenses will be (very, very high, I'm sure).

Does anyone know how well Hasselblad-to-Mamiya lens adapters work? I've read good things about their 35-90mm lens. Two questions come to mind -- first, would it actually focus to infinity with an adapter, and second, would it fill a full-sized MF sensor (Leaf Aptus II 12) without vignette?

(Sorry for the thread hijack.)

lance_schad

Workshop Member
coulombic;303180 If they'd release the 45-90 said:
Well it is my understanding that to bring that 45-90 to market, it would have had to sell for around $15k , which I don't think they would have sold many of them.
L

Anders_HK

Is it only I who wonder why Phase-Mamiya do not have a portrait lens comparing to the legendary Zeiss Planar 110/2 ? The nearest they have is the old 80/1.9 which is good but not anywhere near as good. Or resorting to $$$ adapter to use V lenses... but both with stopped down metering.

It would seem that with Zeiss and Schneider having already old recepies of very very sharp stellar glass for Hasselblad and Rollei systems, why not base on those instead of total new designs?

Sure I have the Mamiya 45D among my collection still. It is tack sharp lens much corner to corner for pixel peeping, but in my impression total lack characater.

A question; are the new LS lenses only glass by Schneider or are the lenses made in Germany and glass installed and fine adjusted by Schneider?

Apologies, I do not really mean to bitch... but... :OT:

Thanks! :salute:

Regards
Anders

Graham Mitchell

It would seem that with Zeiss and Schneider having already old recepies of very very sharp stellar glass for Hasselblad and Rollei systems, why not base on those instead of total new designs?
Those are 6x6 lenses, which are larger, heavier and more expensive to produce than 645 lenses.

rhsu

Schneider Kreuznach 120 mm Macro TS should be volume shipping by June

Lance
If the lens resolution is that of my earlier Schneider Digitar 120mm Macro, it will definitely be a WOW factor...! No doubt you will do some sampling of the said lens in due course. Well done!