The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Intervalometer solutions for triggering digital back

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Is anyone aware of any intervalometer solutions for triggering a Phase One digital back?

My use-case is shooting an extended sequence of shots using a tech camera but where I don't want to introduce movement & errors by manually cocking the shutter. I know that I can shoot on bulb and trigger the back using something like the KaptureGroup multi-shot/long exposure box but I'd like something more automated for shorter exposures and also accurate timing. The obvious solution would be to shoot tethered but I want to use this in the field and so I'd rather not be hung up with a laptop if possible.

I'm considering getting maybe a custom trigger adapted using the combination of my Promote remote control & KG multi-shot but I figured that maybe someone here has already come across a solution for this?

GrahamWelland

Btw, if anyone else is interested in this quest, take a look at: Open Camera Controller Project

I think I'm going to get an interface built using a Phase One sync cord assembly to trigger wake up & timed sensor capture. That'll provide not just intervalometer support but also the opportunity for more accurate capture timing > 1 sec and also the option of shooting bracket sets via the back. Of course if you're shooting with a MF DSLR then this is all kind of "so what's the big deal?" but if you want to shoot with a tech cam, this stuff is a pain in the rear ... Could be an interesting little project.

Btw, I've also been in conversation with a developer for a trigger cable to support Mamiya/Phase One 645 for the Gigapan Epic Pro.

Last edited:

Dustbak

You have to check with the Phase, I have been looking into this for my Nikon. The best solution I came up with was using Pocketwizard Multimax.

Never came around actually doing it BTW, this is still one of those shelved projects for the future.

Edit: just noticed you want to do this with a tech camera. Not sure with which shutters, I can figure it will be somewhat harder with Copals vs. electronic ones :)

GrahamWelland

The shutter with a tech camera is easy - just select bulb or T mode and the aperture is stopped down until you decide otherwise. You then want to trigger the back to start or wake/start and then stop. That's all pretty easy since that's what the sync and/or wake up cables do from the shutter/button.

Btw, if you want to do this with a Nikon then there is a really great solution by Promote Systems - the Promote Control. This is a micro controller with LCD that allows you to control your Nikon/Canon DSLR very very effectively and is a great piece of kit if you want to do HDR or timelapse. I have this myself and highly recommend it since it communicates with the camera to set exposure etc etc. It's not cheap but it is a very good solution.

Graham Mitchell

Can the Phase back really read out data while the back is still being exposed to light? I know that doesn't work with my back, but I can't be sure about other designs.

Dustbak

In that case I think a Pocketwizard Multimax can do what you want to.

I will also have a look into the Promote Control. Sound like an interesting solution too.

GrahamWelland

Can the Phase back really read out data while the back is still being exposed to light? I know that doesn't work with my back, but I can't be sure about other designs.
Well, that's a VERY good question and would potentially be the fatal flaw for my plan wouldn't it?

If I had one of the KG multi-shot/long exposure boxes I'd certainly be able to test it out easily enough. The use-case I've seen for multi-flash pops certainly would involve the shutter closing after each exposure and presumably being closed when the final request to end the exposure is triggered.

Thinking about it, it's also easy to test by opening the shutter and firing the sync from the shutter of another lens. A project for the morning!

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

In that case I think a Pocketwizard Multimax can do what you want to.
If the shutter can be kept open then certainly this would provide a nice off the shelf intervalometer function via std PC sync port and so easy to wire up. Wireless triggering too. I think I need to see if the duration of the trigger can be modified since the flash sync has to last for the entire exposure and not just a single brief trigger.

SergeiR

just tested. My Leaf cant either ;( bugger.. i had hope to use this with barrel lenses.. oh well.. back to drawing board.