The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF Images, Visited the Museum

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
In view of the recent holiday on the 4th I decided to visit
a few "old heroes." Cavanaugh Flight Museum, Addison, Texas.

All taken with H3DII - 39 and 80 HC

Last edited:
Gosh, I would love to have a ride in any of those beauties. I have a fascination with double deckers!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Andy

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Andy,

I too have a love for the older bi-planes. There is something wonderful in their appearance in the sky. I almost purchased a rebuilt Stearman a number of years ago. That would have caused major stress in the household.

I think that the old Beech Staggerwing is one of the prettiest planes ever built. It seems that we have lost a lot of the older beauty in design with regards to these older planes. Yacht and Boat design seems to have had a resurgence of classical designs, but with litigation in this era the aviation industry will probably never see it.

The planes above were packed very tightly into four hangars and one only had access to them from a back or angled view...I had to struggle to get shots that were not encroached upon by another plane's wing or tail.

Have you read Beryl Markham's autobiographical account of her East to West flight across the Atlantic? It is titled "West With the Night" and in it she describes growing up in Africa and learning to fly in the bush. Beautifully written, it is a wonderful account of much more tranquil time on that continent.

Bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Wonderful planes! Great captures. The larger sensor really makes them shine. Thanks for posting them.