The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital backs for Hasselblad V

fotografz

I have a question about sync cables between P65 and 503CW: are they all the same or are some better than others? (e.g. Kapture Group, P1 etc.)

I tried asking at the "other" MF forum but didn't get a helpful reply.
Actually yes there is :) The Gold tipped sync cords seem to be more reliable. I believe Paramount Cords carries a selection of them (while you're at it, buy a tip conditioner tool, it'll save a lot of time and headaches in future) :

www.paramountcords.com

-Marc

cng

Actually yes there is :) The Gold tipped sync cords seem to be more reliable. I believe Paramount Cords carries a selection of them (while you're at it, buy a tip conditioner tool, it'll save a lot of time and headaches in future) :

www.paramountcords.com

-Marc
Thanks Marc. This is what I was after.

A "tip conditioner tool"? Are you kidding me? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just ... :shocked:)

richardman

IMHO, there are quite a few reasons to go with a digital back for the Hassy V. First is cost - I got a P30 back (through GetDPI!) for a very reasonable cost and I got a very nice condition 503CW and 3 lens (50, 80, and 120) all for less than the body of a 645D. I normally shoot with an XPanII and the M9, and the digital back excels in one area that I am most interested in that the other two systems are weak on - long exposure night photography. Actually, the M9 would do OK, but since it is going to be on a tripod, the 30 megapixel back can come in handy. Just a couple shots to demonstrate:

fotografz

Thanks Marc. This is what I was after.

A "tip conditioner tool"? Are you kidding me? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just ... :shocked:)
I know, it sounds painful ... :ROTFL: Actually, they are inexpensive and can be quite useful as the tip connections on sync cords can get slightly distorted or out of round so they don't fit correctly or don't make a good electrical connection.

Also, if you go this route be aware that older Zeiss V lenses had a fair degree of issues with the sync port especially with short depth sync cord tips ... you will sometimes see sync cords that say they are the longer style tip which are for the V lenses. Hasselblad improved the sync port on the V lenses with the CFi/CFE lenses which had a release collar ... however, I had a couple of problems with those also.

-Marc

cng

For anyone else who is interested, the Paramount website has good explanations of the conditioning tool and why the sync ports on V lenses can be problematic (as well as suggesting products to potentially help avoid these problems). Nice to see considered, empirical thought going into something as fundamental as sync cords.