The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is buying a 55K camera justifiable... in the name of hobby?

In my opinion if you will get the most enjoyment out of spending your money on it then go for it.... There are people who spend 100k on there car engine to make a lot of power and to me that's a waste of money but not to them! spend your money on what makes you happy at the end of the day its only money :D

gazwas

Will it allow you to take better pictures?

55K is a lot to spend out of lust. Something that often fades as quickly as it arrived.

I'd hate to be in your position and fully understand your doubts....... Good luck!

cs750

These are very refreshing comments in response to a post that would be easy to criticize. We all have economic decisions to make, but different circumstances in life (whether earned or luck); life and good health are short and to find a passion for the beauty of photography and have that passion be a pursuit to be the best one can be with the equipment one can afford is a precious thing. I know people who can take no passion from life and only know "work" without anything to breath life into their existence. Those who can afford it have often learned the hard way that one can buy 4 or 5 times or get the best available at the time they are ready. I say go for it with all your passion for enjoyment and pleasure that your circumstances safely permit; if you find yourself looking back....there will be those who will be happy to purchase from you at a great discount; there is a vital difference between justifying something and earning the chance to fulfull your passion. Charles

Professional

In my opinion if you will get the most enjoyment out of spending your money on it then go for it.... There are people who spend 100k on there car engine to make a lot of power and to me that's a waste of money but not to them! spend your money on what makes you happy at the end of the day its only money :D
I go with this philosophy, as i saw many people wasted money on buying cars and lands and they don't need that many things, i have one car, i have friends have 2-3 cars and they always drive one car changing overtime, so i think if they buy cars or houses for joy and not for need then why i can't buy cameras for joy as well?
I am planning to spend another $50k+ in the future to buy another MF system, this time with a tech camera and Schneider lenses, not sure if i will think about Phase One or just try to use my H4D-60 back on that tech camera as someone did here.
Money is money, if not wasted today it will be wasted tomorrow.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I mentioned this to a gentleman last week on a workshop see if this makes sense as he was agonizing over the same thing. Here are my comments. I said regardless of how much you spend as a hobbyist or a pro there is truly something special about getting your first image published or selling that first print to someone that actually thinks your good enough to have hanging on there wall. When that happens than whatever you spent is justified because there is NO better feeling than being recognized as a good shooter by someone. No amount of money can buy that feeling. Just buy a tool that can get you there, if you think this is it why not buy it. I certainly want to say in my last gasps of breath that I led a great life and whatever that means to you than go for it. The word regret is not in my vocabulary. Its all a life experience.

Professional

Donate this money on me, i will start a business and i will give you $100k back, it will take a bit time but it will happen, so instead you spend that $55k and get nothing or no much even if you sell prints better give me that money and i can start i good business here where i can increase that amount of money and then i will give you back double of what you spend, you will never find a better deal anywhere ;) :D

Don Libby

My first thoughts on this was to say go ahead and do it - if that's what you really want to do. Some people spend that much on a single vacation so why not spend it on something that will give you continual pleasure.

The I read your other response.

I went on a PODAS "workshop" once (in which, what I enjoyed the most was the food) and had a chance to play with P65+ on the Phase One DF body for a week. To be honest I am not that "WOW" impressed :D :D but I do recognise that the resolution is there to support printing at larger sizes. I also had a chance to touch and play with Alpa.

I wouldn't want to get / use the DF body - hence why I'm going to Arca.

Based on that response I'm having second thoughts as it seems you weren't impressed with MF. I am glad you enjoyed the food. Then again it appears you're jumping right into a tech camera so what the heck - if you can afford it do it. If you find you don't like it then there's always the Buy/Sell part of this forum. :D

Remember - it isn't just about changing your camera gear as more than likely you'll also need better computing and processing software to go along with all this. Then there's the likelihood of a better/stronger tripod and don't forget about the Cube...:angel:

David Schneider

I saw you use a 1ds3, but didn't say if you have experience with digital mf. There certainly is a learning curve going from dslr to mfd. My suggestion would be to start with some lower priced mfd, one you expect would be easy to sell after you spend a reasonable amount of time learning on it, making some large prints, etc. Then go to whatever is top of the line back and technical camera in a year or so. I'm not sure going from crawling to the Olympic finals of the 100 meter dash without an intermediate step is good. Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
But I think the bigger question (assuming all your financial ducks are in a row) is whether it will enhance the enjoyment of your hobby. My sense that it is a lot more work than what you might be used to and might even change the way you shoot. Which might turn out to be a tremendous learning experience that deepens your enjoyment and elevates your craft. Or, it could be a frustrating pain in the a%$.

Good luck with it!
Tim
Tim: I'd agree 100% with this!! :thumbs:

For the OP, make sure that you know what you are getting yourself into when moving from the 1DS3 because high resolution MF with it's more restricted depth of field, brutal punishment for anything less than technical excellence when shooting, and much cruder overall systems than you've been used to, will all add up to either make the experience more enjoyable or frustrating as hell. I'd definitely get a decent dealer on board and get them to allow you try this stuff first.

As regards whether you should spend the cash - well, you're only here once so do what you enjoy. As I've mentioned here before, it's much cheaper than trophy wives, ex-wives, McMansions, exotic cars, boats, kids in college, etc etc. If you can afford it then why the hell not if it brings you pleasure.

I only use a technical camera and sold my DF body/lenses.
I was THAT close to dumping all of my DF/glass and then decided that my problem was lack of all out commitment to the platform for my landscape shooting. I just decided to keep with my Alpa system as my primary and dump my Nikon gear - that's a painful decision that feels like a divorce ... but I think better in the long run. Now adding the missing glass to the DF & Alpa and contemplating whether it's the IQ140 I originally planned to upgrade to or whether to go further up the IQ mountain of $$$.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

As the fortunate owner of an M9 kit for travel, a Sony a900 for wildlife and a P65+ for landscape, I think you know what my answer is!

I sell a lot of my photographs and prints but I'm essentially a hobbyist who photographs what he loves - and if others want to pay for the results, then that helps with the budget. But I'd own the gear anyway.

Go for it.

Bill

SergeiR

If it will make your life more eventful and interesting - go for it.

Hobby is actually easier to justify , as it all boils down to "gut-happy" feeling.

dick

Bottom line you only are here for a short time
As I am already retirment age (and in bad health), this is a problem, as I hope to get back the money I spent... will I be active long enough to get my money back?

...you don't have to worthy of anything
.. there is NO better feeling than being recognized as a good shooter by someone. No amount of money can buy that feeling.
...yes, but you do not want to made to look a fool by people with kit one tenth of the price you paid!

Geoff

In short, three answers:

1) yes, its your money to do as you wish.
2) no, that amount is irresponsible
3) take some small steps to test the waters, and see if this path makes sense.

Then you can see if the $:results are working. If so, perhaps keep going, perhaps not. If not, do something else with the money. If a lesser kit will give you equal satisfaction, then its all to the good.

My vote for #3.

robmac

No different than buying a $55K car to run to get groceries at 55-65mph (for we unfortunate N.A.'s). Actually it's better - at least you'd be creating something with it as it depreciated vs. simply watching it depreciate in the driveway.

As many have said, (depending on your religion or lack thereof), you only live once and if you have the $$ - buy used to minimize that 'driving it off the lot' $$ haircut (you can always be a bit 'practical'...) and go for it.

fotografz

Only YOU can gauge your passion ... and your personal practicality / sense of responsibility is what tempers that passion, not someone else's. Personally I sure the hell don't have 3 million in my retirement account, and tend to live with less other stuff so I can have more photographic stuff... perverting the notion of "Less is More" :ROTFL:

It seems to me that you need to think through the passion part ... is the motivation weighted toward materialistically having the best, or aesthetically doing the best? Big difference. ("weighted" being the operative word, since it is bound to be both to some degree).

What you are considering is without a doubt the best there is ... and even if surpassed in 2 or 3 years, will remain a milestone of photographic excellence for many, many years to come. This isn't the same as even 5 years ago ... MFD is now in the stratosphere when considering a 60 or 80 meg large sensor DB ... and a tech camera with the latest optics is most certainly up to the resolution of these backs. If truly considering work primarily with a tech camera, then there is no other choice compared to the IQ backs ... the unique operational advantages significantly increases your chances of mastery IMHO.

However, the other part of the equation is determining your personal threshold for technical mastery ... which does involve some level of mechanical aptitude and attention to detail on a far greater level than you've experienced to date with your current gear. You need a head for this type of discipline ... and many who think they do, find they do not ... in the end deciding it is just to fussy and tedious. One man's ecstasy :) is another man's PITA :(

Good luck!

-Marc

stngoldberg

Buy a Hasselblad-they have more lenses available that give you more pleasure. Try the 300mm with the 1.7 extender-510mm on a 60 megapixel sensor-or put two 1.7 extenders on for 840mm and still get amazing image quality