The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is buying a 55K camera justifiable... in the name of hobby?

kuau

Workshop Member
Mal,
When you get back, I would for sure have your DF, P65+ and lenses checked out.
I agree with Ed, though, the P65+ needs everything perfect, and I know from talking to some local Phase dealers in the US, even the new Phase 35mm which is really the same as the mamiya "i think" is not that good of a performer on the P65+. Check with Jack on the forum, I think he has a lot of experience with the 35mm + the P65,
If it were me, for WA i would stick with your cambo, and for 80mm and above the DF should do a fine job with you P65+.
WA on MF DSLR systems is very challenging, especially when you up the resolution.
Up to 39mp I think if you are lucky and get a good copy of a 35mm lens your ok, but that is the challenge.

Good luck.

Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
Woody, :thumbs: couldn't agree more....

Steven
I would sum up my feelings in this way...........Very few sailboat owners (no not the huge ones but ones less than $100K) operate with commercial contracts. They own the boat because they love sailing and it makes them feel "special." Similarly for those who own Porsches! A Prius gets you to the same place at 1/5 the price but getting there is something special in Germany's best.

The point being that trying to justify cost is a hopeless enterprise. I couldn't really afford the S2 system but I now wouldn't want to be without it! I love the results but if truth be known, I love the entire experience of shooting Leica. The quality of the lenses, the build quality of the body etc etc and the ease of shooting makes this a special experience for me. Does that "justify" paying this much money for something from which I earn no income. Sure it does! It is actually the pros who have to look so closely at cost because if one brand over another doesn't create more income for them they have to justify the bucks.

Just my 2 cents worth

Woody

J

Jim2

J
What have I found?
Well at present I am struggling to fully realise the benefit of 60MP over my Canon 5D or 1DMk4. I am happy to use Mirror Up, cable operated shutter or time delay, tripod and such. However I have taken nearly 200 exposures and still working on getting all my technical and creative ducks in a row. I have not found it a free lunch - but I am learning heaps and the struggle is doing no harm.
Hi Mal,

What exactly are the issues / challenges / problems that you're having? Are you having trouble getting sharp images? Even with Cambo?

kuau

Workshop Member
Jim, if it were me and money was not the issue, go for the RM3di for you WA work, and get a Phase DF for 80mm and above, If you are not printing huge I would go for the 40MP back. P65+ is so demanding, and the newer backs being released will be no different, very demanding, everything must be perfect. I would save the money, and sign up for some of Guy and Jacks workshops, and most importantly, is you do go for a phase back, become a Capture 1 expert.

Steven

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
JIf you are not printing huge I would go for the 40MP back. P65+ is so demanding, and the newer backs being released will be no different, very demanding, everything must be perfect.
I'm not sure that shooting with a P65+ is any more demanding in terms of technique that a P40+ or P45+ since the sensor pitch is the same and hence need for stable platform, accurate focusing and limited DoF are pretty much identical I would assume. Obviously the P65+ or newer 80mp backs will have a greater stress on the performance of your lenses, particularly wides, since for a given focal length you're using more of the glass and reaching out of the lens sweet spots. I'd certainly agree that as pixel pitch gets smaller (80mp+) there's definitely less room for sloppy technique as it'll become abundantly clear.