The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

rm3d(i) vs dust / rain

J

Jim2

have you ever used your rm3d(i) under a very windy and dusty environment, or in a misty environment? Would you be comfortable doing so? How well does it cope with it and keep the lens, camera (including the movements i.e. rise/fall/tilt), and the digital back protected from it?

J

Jim2

Perhaps another way of asking this is - can this camera be cleaned from dust / sand easily? Can it be disassembled for cleaning?

RodK

Jim2
You cannot disassemble the camera. You can remove the ground glass or digital back adapter, and the lens. Then you can use air blowers, or canned air and a dry paint brush to clean. There is no user dis-assembly possible. This would compromise the focus alignment. A slightly damp cloth could be used to wipe off outside of camera and finder.

jimban

The large throat on the camera and removeable 6x9 GG plate make access, for removing dust easy. One area to be carefull of is any grit/sand getting the lens mounting threads. A lens cloth or brush should keep the threads clean. Cleaning the tilt/swing mechanism might be a problem if something nasty were to get in there, but an air rocket is fine for removing dust.

One bonus with the R lens mounts is that they are wide enough to easily remove the rear lens caps. Not a simple task with lenses greater than 70mm on my cambo wide.

jim