The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ultimate Landscape kit

vjbelle

Is the C1 focus mask flawless? Surely its a great help, but shouldn't someone check "how good is it?" - and what level of precision it has - on a camera and back.
The focus mask is hardly flawless. It is optimized for studio work and not landscape work. My experience has been that the mask is indicating in focus for areas of an image that are clearly way out of focus. Subject matter is important for successful use of the focus mask.

Victor

hcubell

The focus mask is hardly flawless. It is optimized for studio work and not landscape work. My experience has been that the mask is indicating in focus for areas of an image that are clearly way out of focus. Subject matter is important for successful use of the focus mask.

Victor

I agree completely. Focus mask, at least as implemented in C1 6, is just not all that useful with landscape images in my experience. If it works the same way with the IQ backs, I sure don't think it will be the holy grail for those that use IQ backs with a tech camera. They will still have to contend with serious focus issues, particularly with non-wide angle lenses.

vjbelle

I agree completely. Focus mask, at least as implemented in C1 6, is just not all that useful with landscape images in my experience. If it works the same way with the IQ backs, I sure don't think it will be the holy grail for those that use IQ backs with a tech camera. They will still have to contend with serious focus issues, particularly with non-wide angle lenses.
I, actually, had never intended to use the focus mask..... especially knowing its limitations. The REAL advantage of the IQ backs is the hi res LCD and the ability to easily check focus with a MF loupe. Granted its not as fast as live view but in actually not that much longer. On a tech camera or even manually focusing a DF it should be easy to nail focus with a quick three shots or less. That benefit alone was worth the purchase of an IQ180. ;)

Anders_HK

But AFAIK the shims are to get your lens and back calibrated to some reference point (infinity) and nothing to do with focus. I very much doubt you could focus an Apla helical mount lens to an accuracy of 0.02mm. The only camera possibly able to focus to that accuracy would be one of the Arca R cameras.

Just think your being a little too technical about this and reading too much into the Apla marketing machine. ;)
Not to repeat, see my post #3 http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26427

As for reading into Alpa marketing machine... nope and I agree with

For the record, I think Alpa, Cambo, Arca, Sinar, Linhof et al all make beautiful gear but we should accept any marketing with a healthy dose of scepticism. The aura built-up around Alpa reminds me a lot of Leica. In fact, their marketing strategies almost mirror each other:
1. Positioning as a luxury brand (not product) to professionals and non-professionals alike.
2. Disparage your competitors and anyone who chooses to use their "lesser" products.
3. State loudly the brand's (not product's) technical excellence.
4. Repeat.
and I can add more about their arrogance in marketing and overpricing by China agent!

However, same as Leica, even if marketed part as luxury goods, remarkably they are top quality and useful TOOLS. Because I recognize the need for the very precise tolerances is what made me interested in Alpa. Still awaiting for pricing to be sorted out for Hong Kong per say... and their reply to my strong email on matter.

Regards
Anders