The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 43XL sharpness

dchew

By the way,what made you guys choose 43XL over 47XL ?
The 43xl is the widest lens I have and I plan to keep it that way. I originally thought of getting a 35 and a 47 or 50, but then decided to cover both with one lens, the 43.

And yes, rumor is that the 43xl is slightly better than the 47.

Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The 43xl is the widest lens I have and I plan to keep it that way.
Hee hee ... we'll see. If I had $10 for every time I've heard the same comment regarding equipment I'd be a rich man. :ROTFL: (this comes from a man pulling together the war chest to pay for the IQ & Alpa/SK APO-Helvetar 28 additions himself - that I swore I don't need either!)

dchew

Come on Graham, let me keep lying to myself for a little while. LOL.

I'm already planning to break my three lens limit: 43, 100, 150. I'm thinking of a 70 or 72 as well.

Ah, the slippery slope...

Dave

gazwas

Thanks everyone for your replies. So it seems field curvature is the culprit and as adjustments after sharp centre focus is sometime needed on any camera. Good to know it's not my new equipment. :)

how about the 120? I am thinking of getting that one
Jim, IMO I think the choice of lens is pretty much dependant on your field of photography. I have a 120 Schneider on order but it seem Schneider has none in stock and not sure when they will. Don't know why but mine has been on order with my UK dealer 8 weeks. I'm shooting mainly product and interiors and the 120mm is a really nice short telephoto for tabletop product shots but if I was a landscape photographer a 120mm IMO is not telephpto enough and would prefer something a little wider like a 90mm or a proper telephoto like the 150mm.

archivue

I have a 120 Schneider on order but it seem Schneider has none in stock and not sure when they will. Don't know why but mine has been on order with my UK dealer 8 weeks. I'm shooting mainly product and interiors and the 120mm is a really nice short telephoto for tabletop product shots
did you consider that one...

120/5.6 Apo Macro Sironar Digital

Specifications
Optical Construction - 8 elements in 6 groups
Image Circle
At 1:5 [1/5 Life Size] - 150mm @ f11 - covers 37x 49mm sensor
[allows shift of up to 53mm vertically and 49mm horizontally on a 37x49mm sensor]
At 1:1 [Life Size] - 150mm @ f11- covers 37x 49mm sensor
[allows shift of up to 53mm vertically and 49mm horizontally on a 37x49mm sensor]
At 2:1 [2x Life Size] - 150mm @ f11 - covers 37x 49mm sensor
[allows shift of up to 53mm vertically and 49mm horizontally on a 36x48mm sensor]
At 1:5 and beyond, the lens is useable in the aperture range f8 to f11 due to increasing diffraction effects
Flange to focal distance at 1:1 [Life Size] - approx. 236mm
Filter Size - 49mm
Weight - 220g in Copal shutter

gazwas

did you consider that one...

120/5.6 Apo Macro Sironar Digital
Hi Archive, I did consider the R and S Macro lenses but my dealer seem to think for my type of work not in the 1:4/1:5 range the standard lens would be better. The image circles are quoted at these magnifications and not sure when further away from the subject. Also the Macro's are optimised at f5.6 he thought.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I own both lenses :
APO-MACRO SIRONAR 5,6/120 and the
APO-MACRO SIRONAR DIGITAL 5,6/120

I have used both lenses for many product shots but can not see any differences in image quality between the two .
Used backs were CFV-16 and CFV-39 .

In my opinion , the buy of the digital lens was a waste of money .

asf

When rotating the lens changes the focus, then there must be some manufacturing problems/misalignments. :confused:
Or the action of removing and replacing the lens moved the front standard slightly. One of the issues with a bellows camera and wide lenses is keeping the front and back exactly parallel. Camera levels are rarely exact, and hand held levels are only as accurate as the user/place they are measuring.

It's more likely the reason the person who has better luck with his pancake camera than his 6*9 bellows camera is the lens and back are closer to parallel than any field curvature change resulting from a new focus method.

goesbang

I own both lenses :
APO-MACRO SIRONAR 5,6/120 and the
APO-MACRO SIRONAR DIGITAL 5,6/120

I have used both lenses for many product shots but can not see any differences in image quality between the two .
Used backs were CFV-16 and CFV-39 .

In my opinion , the buy of the digital lens was a waste of money .
Jurgen,
The pixel pitch on your backs is not fine enough for you to see a difference.
When you get yourself an 80Mp back (You know you will:ROTFL:) I'm guessing you will notice the value of the digi lens.
Cheers,

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jurgen,
The pixel pitch on your backs is not fine enough for you to see a difference.
When you get yourself an 80Mp back (You know you will:ROTFL:) I'm guessing you will notice the value of the digi lens.
Cheers,
OK

Now , as you mention the pixel pitch , you will probably be right . I did not think of that .
The APO-MACRO-DIGITAL lens is still in my hands and I will not through it away , but wait for an 80MP back to arrive :p and then give it an other try .

:thumbup: Thanks for the hint .

Plateau Light

There is one thing that one can use to judge lens resolution when using a lower density sensor when one lens may outresolve another.
The lens with higher resolution will have greater depth of field on any sensor.

Before you go and dismiss this you must first understand the theory behind the circle of confusion.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Guy,

Interesting to see that the first shot looks like it would benefit from LCC correction - maybe it's just lighting/image scaling but the bottom right corner definitely seems to have a magenta tinge to it. I wonder if the 80mp backs exacerbate the LCC issues vs say a P65+ or other backs/sensors.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Graham I did not notice this until this morning or I would have went back and shot it. But i have seen this before in asphalt here in Phoenix that it can go purple but whats bugging me is it is in a weird spot that throws up a red flag. Going to see if we shot anything else i don't believe we did

Guy Mancuso

No LCC applied at all. Straight out of the can did not want to do anything to it so you folks can get a idea. Looking at it besides that purple which is unknown at this time I think maybe a LCC could help it. Hard to say, I'm seeing magenta on the right upper sky. Do you see that as well.

If you folks want the raw I can load that up with yousend it to myself and post the link

gazwas

I'm seeing something down the middle of the frame but its hard to tell with all the mottled light through the trees.

My copy of the 43XL has similar megenta colour shifts and was wondering how the new chip compaired to my P65. Did you shoot an LCC?

Guy Mancuso

I know Terry's was shipped to her and she should be getting her IQ 180 soon so maybe she can try this out again.