The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I didn't know ... the Contax 55/f3.5 is a gem!

Audii-Dudii

I shot most of last weekend with the semi-scruffy Contax 55mm Distagon lens I bought inexpensively ($525) and have been carrying around in my bag for months now, and I am absolutely delighted upon discovering just what a gem it is proving to be! It does sharp where it's supposed to do sharp and then dissolves beautifully, almost imperceptibly, into the background and foreground ... wow! I only wish its focal length wasn't quite so long or I would be using it far more often. (Alas, the 45mm/f2.8 -- or my sample of it, at least -- doesn't even begin to perform at the same level.)

Of course, if I pay the GetDPI tax and upgrade my back from a P30+ to a P45+ -- I can't go with the new IQ backs because I need long-exposure capability for my nighttime photography -- its effective focal length will shorten from ~44mm to ~38mm (in 35mm format terms), which would be just about perfect ... now where I did I leave that extra twenty-three large lying around (because used Contax-mount P45+ backs aren't exactly thick on the ground)?