The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone DF 645 V Grip - anyone has one?

Henry Goh

I'm so out of touch I don't know how this grip works and how useful is it? How much does one cost? I've been away indulging in my other favorite thing - trading stocks that I seldom read up on photography stuff. Please share if you are using one. Thanks.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I had the opportunity to try out the grip and found that it was awkward (for me) since my hand seemed to not be shaped properly for it.
After investigating various ways that I might get my hand re-shaped, I found it better to pass on it. I think that they used a Danish Giant as a hand model when designing the grip.
I really do like the idea of camera firmware updates and hope that a future camera will be able to perform this basic function without an accessory. The built-in flash triggering system seemed nice too, if you own profoto air lights.
<rant>
This is a silly point that flash makers are competing on, that is the form of a module that might be used for triggering their various light systems. It would be far better to standardize on a module pinout that might be used in both camera and meter.
I currently use elinchrom skyport triggers and have a meter with built-in pocket wizard triggering and a camera that accepts an accessory grip for built-in profoto air.
stupid stupid stupid </rant>
-bob

Henry Goh

I had the opportunity to try out the grip and found that it was awkward (for me) since my had seemed to not be shaped properly for it.
After investigating various ways that I might get my hand re-shaped, I found it better to pass on it. I think that they used a Danish Giant as a hand model when designing the grip.
I really do like the idea of camera firmware updates and hope that a future camera will be able to perform this basic function without an accessory. The built-in flash triggering system seemed nice too, if you own profoto air lights.
<rant>
This is a silly point that flash makers are competing on, that is the form of a module that might be used for triggering their various light systems. It would be far better to standardize on a module pinout that might be used in both camera and meter.
I currently use elinchrom skyport triggers and have a meter with built-in pocket wizard triggering and a camera that accepts an accessory grip for built-in profoto air.
stupid stupid stupid </rant>
-bob
Thank you Bob.

Wow, if your hand cannot grip it comfortably, I will have to stay away from it. ASIAN hands are even smaller so a guy like me will have to hold the grip with two hands! Guess I can then trigger the shutter with my left big toe. Not good.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would agree with Bob's assessment of the size of the hand grip. I have relatively big hands and I didn't find it comfortable, at least compared to a Nikon pro body or even add on grip. The other disappointing thing was the overall fit and build quality as it felt kind of cheap compared to the DF body and it didn't feel very solid when attached. The button on it wasn't very positive either. Mounting a tripod plate on the side/bottom of the grip isn't ideal either because it's basically in the middle of your handgrip vs the nice arrangement with the built-in plate assembly.

It worked well enough but seemed very over priced compared to it's build quality. I really think that you'd have to try it in person to see if it worked for you since this is a very personal item.

kdphotography

... Guess I can then trigger the shutter with my left big toe....
Thank God us Asians are flexible! ;)

The V-Grip was "okay" to me, but not something that really got me that excited. Profoto Air and 1/1600 wireless sync is a plus. Maybe the next generation grip will be better. My funds for this year are depleted; any other resources I'd rather save for the new Schneider lenses coming out.

ken

Henry Goh

Hey Guys, I'm sooo grateful to have ask here. Really save me wearing out my left big toe!
New Schneider lenses coming? Please tell me more!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The grip did not appeal to me at all with regards to it's ergo's. Just did not fit me.

Save money for upgrades and Schneiders is my plan.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I like mine. It makes vertical hand-helds much easier tho' I still do most of my work on a tripod.

I'm 6 ft 178 lbs and do not have particularly big hands. I agree it could be more comfortable but it's still very useful for me.

And the ability to update firmware for someone who lives 300 kms from the nearest big city is most appreciated!

Bill

Henry Goh

Guy, I hear you loud and clear. Thanks. Bill 300kms! Wow! Makes sense just to have one in the cupboard for firmware upgrades.

kipling

i've used it on several occasions. i like it, especially the extra batteries - i hate having to change batteries mid-gig. i have large hands though.

adamduckworth

I love mine and the inbuilt Profoto Air sync. I can wirelessly trigger Elinchrom Rangers and Quadras at 1/1600th sec, and the battery life is great.

The vertical Arca plate is nice, too.

colinlee

I've just used mine on a trip and I definitely prefer it for verticals rather than without.

I don't think my hands are particularly big but it fits pretty well - but fully agree that it's not as slick as an integrated grip like DSLR pro-body. But then they never are...

The air sync works fine.

My only gripe is that the integrated L-bracket doesn't mate with my RSS clamps - the plates are too small and slip straight through the clamp. I'm hoping mine is an isolated prob and will discuss with my local P1 rep.

GrahamWelland

My only gripe is that the integrated L-bracket doesn't mate with my RSS clamps - the plates are too small and slip straight through the clamp. I'm hoping mine is an isolated prob and will discuss with my local P1 rep.
I'm assuming that you have a RRS lever clamp? If so you may be out of luck because this is a common issue with non-RRS or Wimberly plates. They are a slightly smaller size due to the taper of the plate and won't hold. Screw clamps work fine.

This is well documented over at RRS's web site btw and definitely affects plates from Kirk & Acratech.

colinlee

I'm assuming that you have a RRS lever clamp?
Hi Graham - Thanks for the info. I am using the lever clamp and I didn't realise there was a difference in the profile of the plates.

I managed to workaround it by using an existing L-bracket from RRS that was for a DSLR+grip. Pretty much a perfect fit :)

Guess there's no need to hassle my local P1 rep afterall :D

GrahamWelland

Ironically I had to use a V-Grip today to upgrade my firmware in my 645DF from 1.1.4 to 1.2.1. to fix the bug that prevented manual focus lenses from working. This particular use of the grip is a godsend vs sending off the camera, particularly if your dealer is only an overnight courier away.

vieri

I got mine after trying one and this is my review so far:

VERY HAPPY:
- using the same back's Li-Ion batteries vs AA batteries that always run out & need (time consuming) replacing in the middle of a shooting
- FW update features
- flash trigger features (I use Profoto)
- high speed sync features

HAPPY:
- ergonomics (but then I am 1.85m or 6.096 feet tall with fairly big hands)

JUST OK:
- build quality (not really great)

UNHAPPY:
- reliability in use, I had the camera stop working randomly and have to take out and re-insert the battery: seems either an issue with contacts in the battery slot (I tried with 5 original Phase batteries, same thing, so I don't think I have troubles with the battery itself), or with either the Grip's FW or the camera's (all are the latest available).

I contacted my local rep with the issue, didn't even get an answer. I am VERY unhappy with Phase customer support in my area, and honestly if i didn't like the products so much (especially backs & lenses) I would have moved to greener pastures a while ago.

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
I have the grip and for the most part I like it. My only comment is that the build quality is poor, it is not a flush fit with the camera body. Having used similar grips and battery packs on my Nikons I expected better from Phase One. That said, it makes vertical shots much more comfortable and I like being ably to use the recharged battery. (I carry four batteries every where I go.)

G

Googaliser

Poor Build quality, but ergonomics are great for me personally (6ft) - most noticeably for portrait shooting. Haven't yet sourced an appropriate quick release plate for the bottom. My RRS only works when the V-grip is detached. So lots of on and off depending on the type of work and that also means having to tinker with the handstrap each time which is a pain. Bottom-line - feels like a beta product to me, but useful to have in the bag
M