The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone DF 645 V Grip - anyone has one?

colinlee

Haven't yet sourced an appropriate quick release plate for the bottom. My RRS only works when the V-grip is detached.
M
I'm using the RRS L-plate for the Nikon D300/D700 v-grip (BMBD10-L) - fits like a glove on the V-Grip Air and you still (just) access the battery compartment change to change batts.

Unfortunately it means shelling out for another L-plate whilst the one supplied by P1 sits in the box...:bugeyes:

G

Googaliser

I'm using the RRS L-plate for the Nikon D300/D700 v-grip (BMBD10-L) - fits like a glove on the V-Grip Air and you still (just) access the battery compartment change to change batts.

Unfortunately it means shelling out for another L-plate whilst the one supplied by P1 sits in the box...:bugeyes:
Colin - really appreciate the tip. I have more RRS plates than any sane person should have. I just dug-out one for the Nikon D3 - which is reasonably snug on th bottom, but the vertical plate sits about an inch away from the body. Does the D300/Grip vertical plate fit snug ?

The other MAJOR issue with the V-Grip tripod mount is that it only has the thread and no stabiliser hole (or whatever that thing is called) - so it is prone to rotation unless the plate is sculpted.

M

colinlee

...but the vertical plate sits about an inch away from the body. Does the D300/Grip vertical plate fit snug ?
M - There is also a gap between the 645DF and the D300/D700 L-plate in the vertical orientation. The +ve of this is that you can access the lens release.

Despite the non-snug fit, I didn't notice any rotation issues. (Note the biggest lens I used was the 120mm macro so it didn't really stress out the L-plate)

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
The other MAJOR issue with the V-Grip tripod mount is that it only has the thread and no stabiliser hole (or whatever that thing is called) - so it is prone to rotation unless the plate is sculpted.

Agreed!

carl-b

M

Agreed!
Can you not cut a small piece of rubber, say from an inner tube? and fit that between the grip and the plate, to reduce possibility of movement?

Yes i know the cost of these items, things like this shouldnt be needed? but worth trying :thumbup:

G

Googaliser

Can you not cut a small piece of rubber, say from an inner tube? and fit that between the grip and the plate, to reduce possibility of movement?

Yes i know the cost of these items, things like this shouldnt be needed? but worth trying :thumbup:
The 'gap' is over 1cm - fine in an emergency - but not really ideal. I mean, why not just use some bricks and do away with a tripod all together !

J

jeffsalt

Re: Phaseone DF 645 V Grip - updates please

Hi I'm a magazine portrait photographer. I would like to know if any users/owners of the V-grip are still happy with it?

Thank you,
Jeffery

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I originally was not too happy due to the ergonomics and location of the front button, but the convenience of one battery type and moving to a rear button af operation, I use it pretty much all the time when planning portrait orientations.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have one but it is a love /hate thing. Been shooting a lot of fashion lately and with the arthritis in my hands its been a huge improvement for me on that level. It still is too big and not ergo friendly but long hours shooting vertical it has been great. I can handhold it very well as well as i have not even used a monopod or tripod shooting this stuff. I also been shooting sensor plus and if I get in the soup I just bump the ISO up.

J

jeffsalt

My style of photography is environmental portraiture. Mostly lit, never tripod. I rented one for a week long shoot. But I noticed that the fit wasn't perfect, there seems to be some daylight between the grip and the camera body. However it did allow me use the camera like I would my 35mm cameras. I liked Guy's advice about putting money towards schneider glass, but they didn't come out with anything wider then the 55mm (which I'm happy with).

Thanks again guys I know you are trying to wrap up any projects before the holidays.

Jeffery Salter
www.jefferysalter.com

Don Libby

I got to handle on earlier this year while visiting Ken. While I didn't have a DF (or AF for that matter) and no thoughts of getting one I didn't like it on several levels.

I really didn't like the fit and this was on Doug's camera so if it didn't fit well there how do you think it'd fit on an regular/ordinary person's camera.

Didn't like that it had no way to shoot off tripod without attaching yet another plate.

I love the ease of shooting Sandy's 1DsIII landscape or portrait and the L-bracket adds little to the package. The DF on the other hand reminded me very much of an after thought. You'd have the body, the V Grip and then some sort of plate system all cobbled together.

Now that I've sold my Leica gear and am back once again shooting a Phase DF I started rethinking the idea and very quickly passes on it for the very same reasons above. If Phase changes it's body to include the V-Grip or something similar I might just get it. While I do most of my shooting on tripod there are times when being able to shoot in portrait mode handheld without having to be a contortionist just to reach the shutter would be welcome.

Don

Don Libby

I have one but it is a love /hate thing. Been shooting a lot of fashion lately and with the arthritis in my hands its been a huge improvement for me on that level. It still is too big and not ergo friendly but long hours shooting vertical it has been great. I can handhold it very well as well as i have not even used a monopod or tripod shooting this stuff. I also been shooting sensor plus and if I get in the soup I just bump the ISO up.
Guy - you willing to rent yours out when the next upgrade comes? :D

P

Phoakm

Hi guys, may I know the wireless trigger on the v-grip air can able to trigger pocketwizard plus ii or multimax?

P

Phoakm

They will trigger Profoto Air which I own both the D1 and also the 600r battery acutes
Thanks for the inofrmation. Too bad, I do have a acute 600 but with no air sync build in, currently trigger using PW Plus II.

Kai Birkigt

I love it.

Fashion photography, studio and on location.

1. Using the same batteries,
2. Profoto Air support,
3. High Speed Sync,
4. FW Update (not so important)
5. Ergonomics: Fits my hands very well (6,3 ft)
6. Vertical use on studio tripod

Cheers,
Kai

yaya

My only gripe is that the integrated L-bracket doesn't mate with my RSS clamps - the plates are too small and slip straight through the clamp. I'm hoping mine is an isolated prob and will discuss with my local P1 rep.
there is a spacer available for RRS heads:

Really Right Stuff compatibility kit for L-bracket (Ensures firm connection with RRS Brackets)
Phase One part number 71062