The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone DF 645 V Grip - anyone has one?

fotografz

(snip, edit) ...
<rant>
This is a silly point that flash makers are competing on, that is the form of a module that might be used for triggering their various light systems. It would be far better to standardize on a module pinout that might be used in both camera and meter.
I currently use elinchrom skyport triggers and have a meter with built-in pocket wizard triggering and a camera that accepts an accessory grip for built-in profoto air.
stupid stupid stupid </rant>
-bob
Bob, your "RANT" is well appreciated.

Producing a huge range of proprietary radio systems is simply an irritating marketing ploy to force systems purchase, and is a disservice to photographers world wide.

I lay the blame at Pocket Wizard's feet ... they had started to become the standard, and was included as a built-in for a number of strobe systems ... then they rested on their laurels.

I do take my hat off to Hensel of Germany. They included both their proprietary Strobe Wizard, AND the Profoto AIR as well as the specialized (and amazing) Free Mask radio recievers in the Hensel Porty Lithium battery generators. Of note, the Porty AIR allows full control of the levels which is not possible with Profoto's own B600 AIR. :eek:

However, any system with built-in Pocket Wizard triggers is left out in the cold ...and you are back to buying new receivers or transceivers for every mono or generator with PW built-in. Simply beyond stupid :mad:

-Marc

(P.S., I'm going to reiterate part of this to the lighting forum for further discussion rather than high-jacking this thread.)

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32956

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I dont disagree a real standard would be nice and one would of thought Pocket Wizard would have been it. Now for me I love it with the Air . I have two D1 units and now a ACute B600 air battery solution, so all my lights in either setup or a combination can work directly with the V grip. Actually my remote is really not needed now. I'm shooting 6 models today both in studio and out and this is going to be great as i don't have to do anything but turn lights on and not carry the remote or deal with it. So yes i agree the standard would have been awesome between all the OEMs of lighting but I do give Profoto credit for having a very unique setup especially for us Leaf shutter folks that can do high sync work and have a remote trigger that can actually do it. I can actually shoot at 1/1600 now. As Marc pointed out I could even add Hensel lights to this. Yes Marc I noticed the power levels can't be adjusted on the B600 air. I can with the D1's though. Can't have it all I guess. LOL

FYI I came real close to going Hensel. Lets see how this Acute B600 does today, just got it Friday and now my Elinchrom Quadra will be sold after the head repair or replacement.

fotografz

I dont disagree a real standard would be nice and one would of thought Pocket Wizard would have been it. Now for me I love it with the Air . I have two D1 units and now a ACute B600 air battery solution, so all my lights in either setup or a combination can work directly with the V grip. Actually my remote is really not needed now. I'm shooting 6 models today both in studio and out and this is going to be great as i don't have to do anything but turn lights on and not carry the remote or deal with it. So yes i agree the standard would have been awesome between all the OEMs of lighting but I do give Profoto credit for having a very unique setup especially for us Leaf shutter folks that can do high sync work and have a remote trigger that can actually do it. I can actually shoot at 1/1600 now. As Marc pointed out I could even add Hensel lights to this. Yes Marc I noticed the power levels can't be adjusted on the B600 air. I can with the D1's though. Can't have it all I guess. LOL

FYI I came real close to going Hensel. Lets see how this Acute B600 does today, just got it Friday and now my Elinchrom Quadra will be sold after the head repair or replacement.
Yep, that whole set-up for AIR shows what could have been for the whole industry if it was standardized. Most senders top out at 1/500 with leaf shutters ... and there is no reason for that today. ... which the collaboration between Phase One and Profoto proved. Heck, I can't even squeeze out the 1/800th from the H camera without hard-wiring.

I've amassed an eclectic array of various lighting systems over the years ... All Profoto with R versions and PW triggered D4 boxes in studio ... and Hensel for location stuff because the Hensel Mini 1200 is so small and all the heads work on the Porty ... and Quadra's for super small take-with lighting (mostly weddings) ... which amounts to 3 different radio systems to maintain. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Hensel has had the remote adjustment of levels for years and years, and on location it proved to be invaluable. PWs seemed stone-aged after getting used to that ... fine in the studio, but lights 12' up on stands is a huge PITA to be constantly adjusting.

Including AIR in the new Porty L was a brilliant move IMO. People building an AIR system have the option of the best small lithium battery unit on the planet ... I mean 0.95 sec. recycle at full 1200 w/s power, and 450 full power pops per charge :eek:

I keep putting it the Porty 1200L in my B&H cart, and it's gone the next day :( ... darned thing is really popular. Ya snooze, ya lose.

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea i could have gone either way Hensel /Profoto. Both of them are at least moving forward. Hensel was a stock issue for sure.

colinlee

there is a spacer available for RRS heads:

Really Right Stuff compatibility kit for L-bracket (Ensures firm connection with RRS Brackets)
Phase One part number 71062
Yair - this is interesting...do you have more details/photos of how the spacer works with the L-bracket supplied with the V-grip? I cannot find any info on the web.

Thanks