The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to clean dust in 645DF viewfinder?

Dan Santoso

I tried everything by cleaning inside the body and still cant get rid of the moon and stars in the viewfinder.

How can I clean it?

Thanks,
Dan

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Canned air but don't tell anyone I said that. Need to remove focusing screen works just like any Canon or Nikon.

Trick if you do use canned air spray into the wall and not the mirror directly . That way if any propellent shoots out it hits the wall not your mirror. But I always use a half can of air is by that time most of the propellent is out. Hold can up at 15 degrees move body not can.

You need to realize i am a dangerous person, so you will never see anyone recommend canned air.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks. How do you remove the ground glass?

I never done such a thing
The focus screen is held in place by a small spring clip at the front. There is a cut out with the clip behind it - you need to use something small and NOT SHARP to gently pull that clip forward and the viewfinder mask frame will swing down with the mask resting inside. Be careful as these are soft and easy to scratch. They also like to jump out of the frame too so you need to take care when you do this.

Re-assembly is essentially the reverse of the above. I normally place the VF mask into the frame and then push the frame back up. However, I do use a VF mask tool which has a small tab on the end to make this easy. It also has a tweezer on the other end to grab the tab on the side of the VF mask to avoid any chance of touching it. These come with new masks when you buy them. If you are just blowing out the prism box/VF mask then you don't need to remove it, just blow it gently using a rocket blower although I wouldn't use canned air on this as you'll more than likely displace the VF mask in the frame if you do. Practice makes perfect with this.

If you're not mechanically inclined you might want to consider getting a dealer or repair shop to do a full clean instead. You don't want to scratch the VF mask and you also don't want to drop anything on the mirror assembly either since both are relatively easily marked.

RayM

Dan, a word of caution. Be very careful in how you handle the focusing screen, as in, handle by the edges only, or with a tweezer tool only. Those things scuff very easily, and they attract and hold on to dust/lint like crazy. The task itself is doable, but use caution. Ray