The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newbe questions

Professional

Anyway, to OP, buy whatever you can or NEED to buy and use it for what it should be, i didn't buy MF to use it for sports or wildlife, so i bought it and i know what it can do and how or where to use it.

Good luck!

H

HCHeyerdahl

Thanks again everyone, this is all very interesting for me to read.

I am currently using a D700 and D2x and a HP 24” Z3200ps printer. Although the prints I get are very good, at some point I want to upgrade to get more pixels for even better prints. A friend of mine upgraded form a 12 mp Canon to a 24 mp Canon and frankly the difference in 24” prints was only visible in a few high detail areas, so I decided to skip the D3x. Later I have learned the the D3x is better than Canon, but I still believe 24 mp is a bit on the low side for 24” prints.

So, enter the S2 which from what I read in the S2 thread handles somewhat like a high mp DSLR. I already do my serious work on a sturdy tripod with a Manfroto gear head, but I am a bit concerned about its usability as a general camera. Although my family snapshots generaly do not need to be quite as sharp and are only printed in small size –, I do desire these images to be as sharp as possible though. Reports on the S2 thread seem quite promising for my shooting style.

Chris, I believe there is a massive misconception, especially in the amateur market that MFD is way better than DSLR. With todays 1DsIII, 5DII and D3X cameras I really don't think MF has the huge advantages it once had over 35mm digital when it comes to IQ. MFD is better quality but not £10K - £15K better.
David and Tareq,

The files are better, no doubt about that. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that depending on the output (as David mentioned), on your current experience (as Tareq mentioned) and your expectations, you might be underwhelmed, especially considering the investment.

I love the files, but I can't say that I'm blown away.
I understand and accept that the marginal return on image quality declines stepping from DSLR to MFD. Somewhat like musik instruments I guess. Although I am not a musician, I greatly prefer the sound of a grand piano to a piano - although arguably the difference to many is quite subtel.

But on 800 and more it starts to come up.

i am not talking about details, but rather about smoother gradations and added "3D-ness" from that. Also you getting finer control of DOF, which is desired by so many people. Another HUGE advantage that whatever you shot with MF , when downsized, will look "silkier" - thus skin on models will require less fine-tuning and while retouching full size - much more details.

Another advantage for colour concious people like me - MF is CCD based. Thus it beats colourwise any of weak crappy "live view" sensors in dSLRs (cant remember name).. Like in days of old CCD sensors on dSLR they had better colours than any on Canon dSLR just b/c of that.
As I followed the S2 thread, I was beginning to get the impression that the images have a distinct look. Silkier perhaps and very nice color and light transitions. The rugby and flower images (p22) show these qualities. I can not see the same in the landscapes however, so I am a bit weary that I might be kidding myself – hence the question if it is possible to see the difference. From what you write, I feel more confident that what I think I am seeing may actually be for real.

if you look at this thread:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23033

scroll down to the images of the couch, you'll see what a MFDB gives in terms of tone and resolution. Dave
I clearly see difference here, and I like the MF look way better.

I believe I am begining to get a hold on what the MF image "look" is about - and if this continoues to be confirmed, I will probably desire to make the jump. A crusial thing will be timing. Since I frequently shoot in low light at ISO 800-1600 I probably ought to wait for a S3. At the very least I need to see a good zoom and an extender and probably a larger telephoto.

I will take my time and continue to follow the threads here, and hopefully at some time be able to make a firm decision :)

Chris

Valentin

I will take my time and continue to follow the threads here, and hopefully at some time be able to make a firm decision :)

Chris
Chris,

Better yet: rent one and see for yourself. What might be great for one person, it might be OK (or not enough) for another.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
TOTALLY agree. We can tell you till we are blue in the face but until you see it you will never know.

Word of advice from a old dog. You can quote me on this too.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

i may just put that in my signature too.

Valentin

Chris,

Better yet: rent one and see for yourself. What might be great for one person, it might be OK (or not enough) for another.

P.S. Do continue to read here. There is a wealth of knowledge here that you can take advantage of. When it comes to final decision, that's when you want to rent one before you commit.

H

HCHeyerdahl

Thanks again. Yeah, I will definitely rent before I actually buy into a new kit/system!

I liked the experimentation quote. That is soo true - really in almost all aspects of life.

Chris