The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Waiting on the FedEx truck...

LJL

Peter,
There will always be some new deal or offer around the corner. While it is great to save the money or make the trade-up, folks that missed this window at least have had several months of shooting enjoyment, and THAT has to be worth something, right? There is always the possibility of pressuring the dealer/rep if one bought the 39MP back a month or so ago, and really wants to upgrade to the 50MP back when it ships. I would bet there are going to be some good negotiations, deals, and goodwill gestures floating around. Apple has always found ways to accommodate customers caught outside the same sort of window whenever they introduced a new computer. The manufacturers have to put some time bounds on things, but depending on how things go, they may be more flexible with trades. Always worth the shot.

LJ

ddanois

Wow, just picked my Phase P45+ system up yesterday and I couldn't be more happy. What in the world will 60MP look like? Don't think I'll find out for a long while because this baby is amazing.:thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Peter,
There will always be some new deal or offer around the corner. While it is great to save the money or make the trade-up, folks that missed this window at least have had several months of shooting enjoyment, and THAT has to be worth something, right? There is always the possibility of pressuring the dealer/rep if one bought the 39MP back a month or so ago, and really wants to upgrade to the 50MP back when it ships. I would bet there are going to be some good negotiations, deals, and goodwill gestures floating around. Apple has always found ways to accommodate customers caught outside the same sort of window whenever they introduced a new computer. The manufacturers have to put some time bounds on things, but depending on how things go, they may be more flexible with trades. Always worth the shot.

LJ
Honestly for the low mpx guy that I now have at 22mpx , I really am in no hurry to upgrade anytime soon. Once you step in the MF world a lot of stuff changes and upgrading takes some real thought because the differences are pretty small. Sure if a P45 plus came swinging at my door at a nice price tag i would look but I am not so fast to jump now as I was in the past working with 35mm. I finally found a resting home. Been on this search for 7 years to get better than 35mm and I like it.

Guy Mancuso

Wow, just picked my Phase P45+ system up yesterday and I couldn't be more happy. What in the world will 60MP look like? Don't think I'll find out for a long while because this baby is amazing.:thumbs:
Welcome Derek as i welcomed you in private , I would like to welcome you to the forums and also Derek is signing up for the lighting workshop also which is a even better choice. LOL

Folks you really need to do this lighting workshop. This is one will be a powerhouse, lot's more we still have not even announced yet.

LJL

Guy,
I am thinking the same thing. The lower MP MF backs are NOT slouches by any stretch, and the cost of these newer, larger backs is not going to be trivial, trade-in or not, so if one is getting great results with 22MP, for example, 39Mp, 50MP, 65MP, etc., will be there if there is a real need. And if that need really does exist, there will also be a way to pay for the higher end gear.

I have been wrestling with 16+MP files from my 35mm, and while jumping to MF is still in the sights, 50MP is probably not high on my "need" list for many reasons. But as you say, if there is an incredible deal, or if new work demands that kind of thing, it will be worth considering, but lusting for it, just because it is the biggest, newest, baddest, or whatever is less important with MF, it seems.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

LJ that was sort of what I was driving at in MF there seems less lust to move up the ladder than in 35mm which we all know scrambling for the best glass your money can buy is imperative to get better results. Here in MF land you have a nice assortment of glass from Mamiya, Hassy Rollie and such does not seem i have to search for much better than what I have and the need to jump to more Mpx just is not a immediate need. No question would love more but i just don't feel I am missing all that much and the need to go higher for me at least is a much slower decision. Not to say don't buy the big boys but the stress is just less to move up. This is what made the decision so hard between the P25 and P30 yes there is a difference but not a worlds apart difference.

BTW just talked to Jack on the phone he has not had a chance to even open the box but will later when he gets up to Yosemite

LJL

BTW just talked to Jack on the phone he has not had a chance to even open the box but will later when he gets up to Yosemite
Well, that is true restraint....not to even open the box BEFORE heading up the mountain :toocool: I would have somebody else driving while I played with the new toy.

I am really happy for all of you guys that have been jumping into the pool, over the cliff, into even deeper water and everything else lately. It is really good to see a community like this grow and share so nicely.

Now where is that ski mask so that I can get on with the celebrations soon :ROTFL:

LJ

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Hey Derek use it well and I am glad that you made it over to the forum. I think you will find it a great resource, lots of good people here .
Now go out and shoot so you can post some images!
You know where to reach us if you need support :D:D:D:D:D

L

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5701 office
Capture Integration
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Well, that is true restraint....not to even open the box BEFORE heading up the mountain :toocool: I would have somebody else driving while I played with the new toy.

I am really happy for all of you guys that have been jumping into the pool, over the cliff, into even deeper water and everything else lately. It is really good to see a community like this grow and share so nicely.

Now where is that ski mask so that I can get on with the celebrations soon :ROTFL:

LJ
His wife made him get in the car and drive. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
I'm sure is tongue is bleeding at the moment.:cussing::cussing:

ddanois

Thanks Lance! On my first day in the forum, I'd like to thank you and Doug for the tremendous effort and assistance. The system is great and I know that it will provide years of enjoyment. I can attest to the sentiments of Guy and Jack that Lance and the folks fro CI are the best resource for this platform. I'll post some shots from the road soon.

BTW, can't wait for the lighting workshop here in Ft. Lauderdale!

ddanois

Welcome Derek as i welcomed you in private , I would like to welcome you to the forums and also Derek is signing up for the lighting workshop also which is a even better choice. LOL

Folks you really need to do this lighting workshop. This is one will be a powerhouse, lot's more we still have not even announced yet.
Thanks for the welcome Guy. Hoping to contribute as much as I've learned from all of you.

woodyspedden

I am a seriously happy camper with my Hassy H3DII-39. This is a back whose native resolution (240 DPI) allows 22 x 30 images with no uprezzing. Great stuff!

But for some odd reason I am still more satisfied with my 16Mpx CFV back! It is certainly not resolution, or color accuracy etc but there is something inherently right about the files. I have no way to describe what I am seeing but you would have to be here comparing the 22 x 22 prints vs the 22x30 prints to know what I am saying.

Marc (Fotografz) said that the biggest mistake he made in the MFDB area was getting rid of his original CFV back. So he bought the CFV II to make up for it. Again I don't know what he was seeing but there is something, shall I say it "Magical" about those files.

Just my humble thoughts on the matter and to emphasize that the number of pixels is certainly not the ultimate answer to image quality

Woody

PeterA

I dont expect to get any decent service from dealers down here - that has been my experience so I am now totally fine with my expectations.

I am also extremely happy with my H3d11-39 I put a lot of work into thinking through what choice works for me. I will be needing a second MFD back to use only on my Alpa and the Linhof I have ordered - and I am thinking a nice Phase One P45+ or 25+ is what i am going to go for. I should be able to pick one of these babies up at a nice price in about 6 months when the fan boyz MUST have that 50 or 60 or 100 megapixel back.:)

Peter,

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi all:

Real quick update. New body arrived just as I was heading out the door for a long weekend away with the family, so had to exercise restraint the entire afternoon... (Actualy I delayed my departure for about an hour just to give it that extra bit to show and was rewarded.) But it meant I could not actually mess with it for several more hours :(

Anyway, initial impressions. 1) The body looks "smaller" than the AFD2. 2) Ergos are a bit different too, not bad, just different. 3) AF is a bit noiser -- call it 15% noisier. 4) BUT the trade-off is AF is also faster, my estimate is about 1/3rd faster, so pretty significant. 5) Also, AF lag is reduced significantly. 6) Shutter lag is also reduced, a really welcome upgrade -- maybe cut as much as in half. 7) Custom functions are all different AND the camera does not come with an owners manual, just a quick reference guide that does not explain the settings in enough detail to know which options to select -- STUPID!!!!!! Fortunately , my best buddy got online and found the explanations for the CF settings -- thanks Guy! Here's the link he found, bookmark it if you're getting this body: http://www.mamiya.com/645afd-iii-more-info-custom-functions.html 8) Basic is I cannot set the AFD3 exactly as I set my AFD2 up. This is sort of a bummer, but in the end I was able to set it up in a a fashion that gives me almost everything I had, so okay for right now but definitely want it addressed with the next firmware. (See gripes below) 9) The new evaluative metering definitely seems more accurate --better at protecting highlights and more consistent throughout varied exposure conditions, more on this as I get more time with it. 10) Oh yeah, the new 80 lens is really nice, but they switched to 67mm filters -- ?
~~~

A MAJOR gripe and a nit...

1) There is NO way to turn off the main shutter button from activating AF unless you go to manual focus. You can lock AF, but that doesn't solve my problem. I often set my camera so the rear thumb button focuses and nothing else will except a touch on that button for focus tweak. This way I can focus once on a main subject, recompose and shoot away without focus changing. Need to change focus, a quick tap on the rear button and the camera AF's. So what you can do is reverse the positions of AE lock and AF lock buttons with CF 15 -- that's the first part and that's good. You can also set CF 19 so the AF lock button will AF when pressed and lock once focused, but you have to hold as you press the shutter button or it will re-focus -- not good for my needs. You can also set CF 19 so a single press on the AF lock will hold lock until you press it again, but it doesn't release after firing, you have to press it a second time -- an inconvenience and problematic if you forget you locked AF. Hence, I sometimes prefer having my AF-lock button be the only ACTIVE AF button since it's sometimes more convenient when only needing to make occasional focus tweaks -- but there's no way to do this with the new body. Take note Phase/Mamiya, this is a deal-breaker for me and HAS to be fixed in the next firmware update! Add TWO CF 16 options, a CF 16-2 for half-press doing AE only and a 16-3 for half-press doing neither AF or AE!

2) This is an obvious glitch that needs to be fixed in the next firmware -- the manual focus direction arrows are reversed! IOW they point left when you need to turn the focus ring to the right and vice-versa -- DUH!
~~~

More later tomorrow after my morning shoot!

PS: It is hot up here and a LOT of smoke in the air -- can't smell it but see across my lake either Guy! What makes this interesting is the closest fire is over 150 miles away -- it must be huge!

PPS: Peter, I really am still getting used to 39 MP, and actually bit off a lot more than I should be chewing to get that far... So at least speaking for myself, I feel pretty fortunate to have what I got and feel NO current desire to upgrade :)

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

I use mine a little differently. I want the shutter on the back dial and aperture on the front dial. Than I will have to see about the AF stuff. I don't mind the half press. I wonder though if this will follow focus, that would be handy shooting runway next week. But i can do without. Glad to hear AF is a lot faster and the biggy shutter lag is shorter. That one bugs me with the original AFD. Well several hours now andI will know. It's really early so heading to AT&T store and do a drive by and see the line for the 3g . Maybe I can actually get a signal in my office, instead of getting a call and gluing myself to a spot to talk. What a pain that is

David K

Workshop Member
Jack,
As you know I focus the same way you do and the way you describe the new camera seems to me an obvious glitch but one that should be easily remedied. It just seems like everybody's in a rush to get their stuff shipped without taking that last bit of time to get it just right. Glad to hear the AF and shutter lag are better and faster... those are biggies.

fotografz

Hi all:

Real quick update. New body arrived just as I was heading out the door for a long weekend away with the family, so had to exercise restraint the entire afternoon... (Actualy I delayed my departure for about an hour just to give it that extra bit to show and was rewarded.) But it meant I could not actually mess with it for several more hours :(

Anyway, initial impressions. 1) The body looks "smaller" than the AFD2. 2) Ergos are a bit different too, not bad, just different. 3) AF is a bit noiser -- call it 15% noisier. 4) BUT the trade-off is AF is also faster, my estimate is about 1/3rd faster, so pretty significant. 5) Also, AF lag is reduced significantly. 6) Shutter lag is also reduced, a really welcome upgrade -- maybe cut as much as in half. 7) Custom functions are all different AND the camera does not come with an owners manual, just a quick reference guide that does not explain the settings in enough detail to know which options to select -- STUPID!!!!!! Fortunately , my best buddy got online and found the explanations for the CF settings -- thanks Guy! Here's the link he found, bookmark it if you're getting this body: http://www.mamiya.com/645afd-iii-more-info-custom-functions.html 8) Basic is I cannot set the AFD3 exactly as I set my AFD2 up. This is sort of a bummer, but in the end I was able to set it up in a a fashion that gives me almost everything I had, so okay for right now but definitely want it addressed with the next firmware. (See gripes below) 9) The new evaluative metering definitely seems more accurate --better at protecting highlights and more consistent throughout varied exposure conditions, more on this as I get more time with it. 10) Oh yeah, the new 80 lens is really nice, but they switched to 67mm filters -- ?
~~~

A MAJOR gripe and a nit...

1) There is NO way to turn off the main shutter button from activating AF unless you go to manual focus. You can lock AF, but that doesn't solve my problem. I often set my camera so the rear thumb button focuses and nothing else will except a touch on that button for focus tweak. This way I can focus once on a main subject, recompose and shoot away without focus changing. Need to change focus, a quick tap on the rear button and the camera AF's. So what you can do is reverse the positions of AE lock and AF lock buttons with CF 15 -- that's the first part and that's good. You can also set CF 19 so the AF lock button will AF when pressed and lock once focused, but you have to hold as you press the shutter button or it will re-focus -- not good for my needs. You can also set CF 19 so a single press on the AF lock will hold lock until you press it again, but it doesn't release after firing, you have to press it a second time -- an inconvenience and problematic if you forget you locked AF. Hence, I sometimes prefer having my AF-lock button be the only ACTIVE AF button since it's sometimes more convenient when only needing to make occasional focus tweaks -- but there's no way to do this with the new body. Take note Phase/Mamiya, this is a deal-breaker for me and HAS to be fixed in the next firmware update! Add TWO CF 16 options, a CF 16-2 for half-press doing AE only and a 16-3 for half-press doing neither AF or AE!

2) This is an obvious glitch that needs to be fixed in the next firmware -- the manual focus direction arrows are reversed! IOW they point left when you need to turn the focus ring to the right and vice-versa -- DUH!
~~~

More later tomorrow after my morning shoot!

PS: It is hot up here and a LOT of smoke in the air -- can't smell it but see across my lake either Guy! What makes this interesting is the closest fire is over 150 miles away -- it must be huge!

PPS: Peter, I really am still getting used to 39 MP, and actually bit off a lot more than I should be chewing to get that far... So at least speaking for myself, I feel pretty fortunate to have what I got and feel NO current desire to upgrade :)

Cheers,
Jack, is that the camera with multiple AF points? If so tell us about that feature. How spread out are the points? Are they all cross sensor types? Inquiring minds need to know ;)

jlm

Workshop Member
"Maybe I can actually get a signal in my office, instead of getting a call and gluing myself to a spot to talk. What a pain that is"

how did we ever survive, way back in the 80's, when phones had cords and were rotary dialed?
worse yet, no common PC's until what, 1982?
i remember pausing over whether or not to get a fax machine.

what wimps we have become, eh?

i have the same reception drop out in my apartment, can only talk from in front of the refrigerator, fortunately winthin a beer's reach.

Guy Mancuso

LOL i iam sitting I line like a idiot. 18 people in front . Got hear at 4:30 at at. They brought out chairs and water