The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I've joined the club!

PeterA

I am lucky - weekend blasts are easy where my farm is.. miles of twisties and constant radius bends and fast blat short straights..along a coast road..I cant ride for longer than an hour or so before getting cramped up..but yeah the Duc rides on rails - check out the scuff/wear on the tyre walls :) Phillip Island is an hour away..

Enjoy your camera and your riding - safely please! Thats a great rig.

bensonga

1100S (his)
The BMW 1100S, like my VFR, a really competent "gentleman's sport bike" :)
I came REAL close to buying one of these, after riding my friend's 1100S Boxer Cup Replica a few years ago.

900FE (NEVER should have sold it)
Agreed!!

Gary

Sorry for the lengthy diversion on motorcycles....they can be addictive (just like MF digital photo equipment!)

David K

Workshop Member
Hey Gary, don't apologize for the OT, we do that a lot around here and I find the bike discussion very interesting. The armchair psychologist in me believes that there's a definite correlation between our addictions. I'm a biker myself with a Harley Road King and a couple of Choppers. Like Marc, the closest I'll come to a Ducati is the CF card as I'm afraid I'd kill myself on one. Something about two wheels and 160+ mph doesn't sit quite right with me. I remember when I first met Guy, he and I were wearing the same watch (Panerai). Keep the shiny side up :)

jlm

Workshop Member
check out the maryknoll museum on the colombia gorge road, they have a great rodin exhibit and it's a nice place to get off the road for a bit. there is also a huge, very unusual poplar tree "farm" out past pendleton somewhere that i always wanted to photograph.
speaking of motorcycles...i gave up the Nortons to race in the dirt, a Maico and several Husqvarna's later, laid off for a few years. then in NY an old "toaster" 650 BMW sucked me back in, then a R900s, 750k and on to the dukes. sanity came back and it settled me on the HD, a lumbering 600lb hulk where 70mph is plenty fast enough. my son has sold his duke for a 650 KTM mono and a spanish gas-gas trials bike; how's that for full circle?

i did sneak out and take a few pics today though

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
One of my favorite uses for the GS is to explore the old mining roads and jeep trails that cross cut the landscape around the entire high sierra. I particularly like Mono Lake and the Owens Valley parts. You can work your way on old trails all the way from Mono Lake to Bodie and on. Throw in some basic camping stuff and a solid tripod and you can easily spend a week out there shooting the most amazing landscape. Some of it natural, some of it man made. Most of the jeep trails are easy and non-technical since the landscape is so dry and hard packed.

I used to commute to the south bay daily on the GS, it's a great road trip and urban assault vehicle. On the way home I'd take the long way up the coast with a photo bag in the top case (or a smaller camera in a tank bag) and tripod bag strapped to the back (passenger seat replaced with Wunderlich cargo plate). For day riding something sportier is more fun though; I've been seriously thinking there might be a spot in the garage for a Tuono R one of these days...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Now you guys have me thinking harder... I used to be a big-time off road rider, primarily dirt/enduro. Earlier this year I was contemplating a KTM Adventure for the same reasons Jan mentions above...

:D,

jlm

Workshop Member
Jack, i had no idea. i've never had so much fun as riding in the dirt, weather be damned.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hey John, me neither! I used to ride a lot a few years back, Honda CR 500's and 250's, then KTM 360. Loved it, but now thinking a nice streetable 4-stroke :)

fotografz

I dove into the deep end of the pool today......I called Steve Hendrix and placed an order for the 503CWD-II kit with the 40mm lens. Yeow! I've never spent that much on a camera before....never thought I would, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the kit with that 40mm lens. I think the whole setup will work nicely with the PME45 finder I bought a few months ago.

I'm going to be on vacation for 10 days in the last half of July (motorcycle trip thru Washington and Oregon.....looking forward to some hot and sunny weather for a change), so I asked Steve to hold off shipping the camera to me until the end of July. I hope to post a few shots from the CFV-II in August. :D

My thanks to the many folks here who have shared their images, experience and knowledge about MF DBs (and the CFV in particular). I also appreciated Steve's help and assistance (a real nice change from the usual mail order buying experiences I've had over the past 30 years). I've learned quite alot in just the past several weeks on this forum....thanks again!

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
Congratulations Gary ... welcome to the CFV club. It's a terrific kit, and despite haveing 31 and 39 meg kits, I still reach for the V camera and CFV for many assignments ... especially portrait work.

I just did a "sitting" yesterday and the files are amazing ... plus 16 meg files are a bit more managible for stuff like this ... I had 7 wardrobe changes in 3 hours and dumped a load of shots into Phocus for processing. What was amazing was almost all the shots could go straight to the keeper file, and minimal work was needed for the prints.

Here's one done with the 503CW-CFV-II and a Zeiss 100/3.5 ... colorlicious!

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
amazing colors. i have recently taken up Indian cooking, where the colors, aromas and flavors all have equal appeal. I'm going to run home and whip up an aloo motar gobi right now

very nice, marc, as usual!

robmac

Nice shot - the CFVII is hellishly appealing. BTW - what aperture did you shoot the 100 at. Courtesy of a lengthy relationship many years ago with a young lady bearing a striking resemblance to your portrait model (but crazier than a bag of hammers...), I developed a permanent addiction to Indian food -- and HOT food in general.

Bikes - The 1100S is a VERY nice bike. I had the yellow/black hornet color scheme but always drooled over the Boxer Cup replica. Also ran a KTM 950 Adventure for a time but sold it when we moved to a local that didn't have a KTM dealer trained/authorized to work on the 950 twins. Wife and I now ride modified KTM 640 Adventures (fixable with a butter knife) and KTM 300 XC-W two-stroke dirts.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
amazing colors. i have recently taken up Indian cooking, where the colors, aromas and flavors all have equal appeal. I'm going to run home and whip up an aloo motar gobi right now
There's a masala dabba in my kitchen too!

And Jack brought up the fact that we both wore Breitling watches last weekend.

This is getting a little spooky!

fotografz

Nice shot - the CFVII is hellishly appealing. BTW - what aperture did you shoot the 100 at. Courtesy of a lengthy relationship many years ago with a young lady bearing a striking resemblance to your portrait model (but crazier than a bag of hammers...), I developed a permanent addiction to Indian food -- and HOT food in general.

Bikes - The 1100S is a VERY nice bike. I had the yellow/black hornet color scheme but always drooled over the Boxer Cup replica. Also ran a KTM 950 Adventure for a time but sold it when we moved to a local that didn't have a KTM dealer trained/authorized to work on the 950 twins. Wife and I now ride modified KTM 640 Adventures (fixable with a butter knife) and KTM 300 XC-W two-stroke dirts.
F/8 if I recall Rob.

PeterA

A lovely 'capture' Marc - almost talked myself into getting this outfit. The 500 with a 40 at 12K is excellent value - and FATBOY pixels.hmm maybe give Jim an email...

fotografz

A lovely 'capture' Marc - almost talked myself into getting this outfit. The 500 with a 40 at 12K is excellent value - and FATBOY pixels.hmm maybe give Jim an email...
Thanks Peter, I made a 17X22 print of this for the client and it knocked their eyes out ... it looks much more spectacular printed than on the computer screen.

Yeah, coupled with the 40IF it's quite a deal ... especially since you can use the 40mm on the H camera for use of it's wider abilities which are much better than my old 40CFE..

The CFV tends to be my go to camera for portrait work where I almost never need a super wide field-of-view ... the Zeiss 100/3.5 (150mm field-of-view on the CFV) pretty much stays glued to the 503CW.

However, the 40IF is excellent for "environmental" type portrait work on the CFV providing a 60mm field-of-view ... roughly that of a 35mm lens on a FF DSLR ... which is about as wide as I like to get for those type shots.

I'm doing a corporate portrait session on location today, and the main camera will be the 503CW/CFV with a 50/4CFE backed up by my Canon 1DsMKIII and Zeiss N24-85 Conrus converted zoom ... (and a Hassey to Canon adapter to use the Zeiss 50 just in case).

PeterA

Enjoy the day Marc and as usual thanks for your user comments.

Yeah I think i will 'spring' for one of these outfits :toocool:- I can also shoot MF film with the camera - ever since I sold the H1/Leaf I havent been able to do so.

Have been having a blast shooting with the Xpan lately. It is really difficult to get the same look from digi as I can get easily from film ...and those Xpan lenses just 'pop' 3 dimensionality.:bugeyes:

I would like to see the forum have a no words section - I dont know why pics are posted under camera categories..I am sure I could talk some of our shooter mates from the past to post - remember the old days on PN? Man that was inspirational stuff for me - especially the Street.

Dale Allyn

The Critique section was re-purposed for the type of threads that Peter refers to (I thought). Some have begun to use it for camera brand agnostic threads. I think that there was one recently titled "No Words" as you, Peter, suggest.