The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 6.2 Released!

yaya

This One is for you Graham W. because I know you've been waiting for it for a long time!!!

This is a minor release with lot's of new useful bits but the most relevant for the board memebers IMO are:
1. Improved LCC that also takes care of extreme shifts with wide angle Schneiders and hi-res backs
2. Support for Aptus 22/65/75 compressed files including LCC (which was a bug in 6.1.1)
3. Sensorflex support
4. Local adjustments for Saturation and Clarity
5. Invert Local Adjustment Mask

Enjoy: http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/CaptureOne.aspx

shlomi

2. Support for Aptus 22/65/75 compressed files including LCC (which was a bug in 6.1.1)
When I reported this bug to P1 (case #85570), P1 response was:
"The current issue is not a Bug but a streamlining necessity for Capture One 6. If you would like to convert the files to allow them to work in Capture One you are welcome to do so with the necessary software."

I for one was amazed by this answer.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
"The current issue is not a Bug but a streamlining necessity for Capture One 6. If you would like to convert the files to allow them to work in Capture One you are welcome to do so with the necessary software."
Frankly I was surprised Phase One went back and supported Legacy Leaf back to and including the Aptus 22 introduced in 2005 after acquiring Leaf. The industry norm would have been to support their current products only and use the excuse that Leaf Capture is still available, still free, and still supports those legacy products.

Seeing them continuing to work to add better support for specific cases like this is refreshing. I think you'll need to pardon the language of the support team a bit - they are being blunt with the facts as they understood them at the time they replied to you on such a specific issue. Better than taking the philosophy of empty promises when, to their knowledge, nothing was going to be done.

On net I'd say it's an encouraging example of loyalty to legacy product support and responsiveness to the customer base.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
At last! :thumbs:

Never understood why these were never include from the off..... Nice work P1.
In December they had exposure and color editor working, the general interface working, and very few bugs. They didn't have clarity/saturation ready or invert mask or gradients ready.

The choice was between waiting to release any local adjustments until more were ready or releasing them and adding them as they went.

I think their choice makes sense from the user's perspective. I've had many images since December I've been able to work through faster because of the basic dodge/burn local adjustments - so I'm personally glad they didn't wait until clarity and saturation are ready which I will use less often.

The only negative is from a purely marketing perspective whereby some potential early adopters who e.g. specifically needed local clarity adjustment would have looked at the lack of certain local adjust tools/features and falsely determine that was the best the tool would ever do and not check back in later.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Other new feature: improvements in the EIP format.

If you don't know what EIP format is see here first: What the Heck is EIP?

Executive summary:
- EIP allows a raw file to be wrapped with it's side car
- EIP allows a photographer to provide a raw file to a client*, but in a way which makes it far less likely the client will discard all your tweaks or open it in a program where they'd see
- EIP is a format designed to give portability to adjusted raw files
- EIP eliminates the need for a central library file (ala Aperture/Lightroom) or an "export" command
- EIP is completely non-destructive and makes no change whatsoever to the RAW file. If needed you can unwrap the original raw file *from the EIP file either by right clicking it in Capture One or from Windows Explorer or Mac Finder by simply renaming it ZIP and double clicking. Because zero changes are made to the raw file and because you don't need any software to unwrap it the archive-value of the format is very high.
- EIP is compatible with any file format or raw format that C1 accepts
- Double clicking an EIP file opens C1 and navigates to that file. Highly convienant.

The very significant improvement made in C1 6.2 is that EIP files now show up in the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer with a preview showing ALL of the adjustments to the raw file. So if you need to quickly check through a USB stick of images to determine which one is which, or need a quick preview of a raw file that's been emailed to you, or across a server connection etc the preview will reflect all changes (e.g. perspective correction, crop, white balance, exposure correction, curves, color editor changes, spot/dust removal etc).

*I'm not a fan of giving raw files to clients, but the decision to do so is with the photographer and I think it's good that Phase One is providing a way to do so without leaving the file completely naked

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Valentin

- EIP allows a photographer to provide a raw file to a client*, but in a way which makes it far less likely the client will discard all your tweaks or open it in a program where they'd see...

*I'm not a fan of giving raw files to clients, but the decision to do so is with the photographer and I think it's good that Phase One is providing a way to do so without leaving the file completely naked

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Some people outsource their RAW adjustment and this is a easier way to get back the files and adjustments. It doesn't have to be "give away RAW" files situation.

shlomi

On net I'd say it's an encouraging example of loyalty to legacy product support and responsiveness to the customer base.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
I would not buy this back had it not been supported - and P1 have seen ~$3000 from me since I bought it.

To deny a bug is a bug is not OK.
The correct answer is that there is a problem which may or may not be fixed in the future.
Unfortunately this is not the only problem which they deny is a problem at all.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I would not buy this back had it not been supported - and P1 have seen ~$3000 from me since I bought it.

To deny a bug is a bug is not OK.
The correct answer is that there is a problem which may or may not be fixed in the future.
Unfortunately this is not the only problem which they deny is a problem at all.
Actually it looks like I confused two issues, as did possibly P1 support in your case as they referenced converting your file (from uncompressed to compressed).

I was speaking before about the fact only the Leaf Compressed Raw Format is supported. That has not changed and is unlikely to change in the future.

You're speaking of the bug in 6.1.1 where the program would crash when accessing raw files from specific Legacy Leaf Backs including the 22. That was obviously a bug - crashing is rarely a feature choice :) and has been corrected in 6.2.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Some people outsource their RAW adjustment and this is a easier way to get back the files and adjustments. It doesn't have to be "give away RAW" files situation.
Yep! Also very helpful during my Capture One Demos that I can grab a raw file from our server without having to worry about it's sidecar setting file!

Lots of uses.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
sorry folks I forgot to load up the press release .

Phase One Releases Capture One 6.2
-- free upgrade to owners of Capture One 6

COPENHAGEN, April 28, 2011 — Phase One today released Capture One 6.2. An upgrade to the popular raw conversion and image editing software that supports both professional medium format systems and more than 170 different DSLR camera models, Capture One comprises a full digital workflow to produce beautifully detailed and richly rendered images.

Capture One 6.2 adds camera support for Samsung, Fuji, Ricoh, Panasonic, Canon, Sony and Nikon and for Phase One IQ180, IQ160 and IQ140, including tethered support.

Features and Enhancements

-- Local Adjustments (Local adjustment of saturation and clarity; Invert local adjustments mask; Copy local adjustments mask from other layer)
-- Auto sync of XMP metadata (sidecars only)
-- Additional camera controls for Canon and Nikon
-- Improved OpenCL and 64 bit performance

Camera Support

-- Samsung NX5, NX10, NX11 and NX100
-- Fuji X100
-- Ricoh GR DIGITAL, GR DIGITAL II, GR DIGITAL III, GX100, GX200, GRX S10, GXR P10, GXR A12
-- Phase One IQ180, IQ160, and IQ140
-- Canon EOS-600D/Rebel T3i and EOS-1100D/Rebel T3 including tethered support
-- Panasonic DMC-GH2 and DMC-GF2.
-- Sony SLT-A55, SLT¬A33, NEX-3 and NEX-5
-- Nikon D-7000 tethered support

Availability and Pricing
Capture One version 6.2 is available now; for details please see: http://www.phaseone.com/6

Capture One version 6.2 is a free upgrade to current owners of Capture One Express 6 and Capture one Pro 6. For the difference between Capture One Express and Capture One Pro, please see: http://www.phaseone.com/en/Software/Capture-One-Pro-6/Upgrade/Upgrade-Pro-6.aspx

For new customers, Capture One Pro 6.2 is available via download for 399 USD and 299 EUR through Phase One’s Online Store www.phaseone.com/store and through leading professional photography dealers worldwide. Capture One Express 6.2 is available for 129 USD and 99 EUR via www.phaseone.com/store.

Capture One Pro 6 and Express 6 are paid upgrades to previous versions of Capture One. Upgrade prices start at 69 USD and 49 EUR, respectively.

Capture Pilot™ is a free app from the Apple store for Capture One Pro. More information is available here: http://www.phaseone.com/en/software/capture-one-pro-6/about/capture pilot.aspx

About Phase One
Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and digital cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise. For more information, please visit Phase One at http://www.phaseone.com. Follow Phase One on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/PhaseOneWW

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne and Shanghai.

Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

kdphotography

Upgraded to 6.2 from 6.1, and curiously had to download and install Microsoft .net ver 4 to run C1Pro 6.2. Not too thrilled with having to set up my workspace again also, but all seems to be okay now...

I think the IQ160 has your name on it, Guy. I'd actually prefer it (IQ160), but the IQ upgrade program almost forces the IQ180 path from the P65+.

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Woo Hoo for Aptus 65 compressed file support!! That will let me easily fix up LCC's with files from that back and more importantly not crash C1 Pro.

John: I really liked my Digilux 2 myself too. For it's time that PanaLeica captured some nice imagery with a decent lens on it.

Paul David

:mad: I'm also frustrated that my customizations and my sessions have disappeared. They should be able to upgrade with making the user have to start from scratch and redo everything. Yes, I can manually find my sessions, but why have to waste all that time? At least P1 can warn us before it does that.

Does anyone know a way to get all that back without starting over?
(Windows 7 64-bit until the new MacPro comes out).

Paul

Upgraded to 6.2 from 6.1, and curiously had to download and install Microsoft .net ver 4 to run C1Pro 6.2. Not too thrilled with having to set up my workspace again also, but all seems to be okay now...

I think the IQ160 has your name on it, Guy. I'd actually prefer it (IQ160), but the IQ upgrade program almost forces the IQ180 path from the P65+.

ken