The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 Shipping Features List

narikin

The 'super high quality ISO35' sounds more like they found that the sensor's true base ISO was 35, not 50, so decided to make that a 'feature', rather than get called out by some analysis on DXO or wherever.

Perfectly fine with me either way, though its an awkward ISO for those exposure rules-of-thumb we all carry in our head!

tashley

Subscriber Member
The main USP for me, and no doubt a number of others who use tech cams some or all of the time, was Live View on the back along with hopefully focus mask on live view.

Exactly what would be delivered in this respect has been unclear since day one and now it transpires that those of us who pre-ordered are to pay now and wait til June before we see how well this key feature works... which in my book means they are either a) still trying to make it work well enough to be of any use or b) know it'll be glitchy and don't want to screw up the launch by having that obvious up-front.

So the promise of a FW update in June means, for me at least but I suspect many others, that the most useful feature has to be taken on trust.

How does everyone feel about that?

Christopher

I really don't see the point. Everyone who knows a little about CCDs, should realize that even Phase One won't deliver anything special when it comes to in back live view. I would NEVER upgrade just because i MIGHT think I COULD use live view. I would upgrade for many other reasons, but certainly not this one. I'm sure it will work, but will be pretty bad and will only work in some special conditions. I think everyone who is thinking otherwise is hoping to much from CCDs, perhaps in 2-3 years when we see the first CMOS phase back we will really get livew view.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to agree Chris , I would not buy this for live view actually last reason I am buying one. I'm sure it will be okay and a month waiting for it is nothing compared to other OEM's. Frankly the only value I see in live view is composing and even that is not going to be easy. Others may see it as the holy grail and that is fine but I never used it on my Nikons ever. Its just to easy to take a shot and adjust.

Audii-Dudii

I really don't see the point. Everyone who knows a little about CCDs, should realize that even Phase One won't deliver anything special when it comes to in back live view.
Well, even if Phase One's implementation of Live View does suck, the higher resolution LCD should make it easier to check focus after the shot, if not before, and that's still a big improvement over the current LCDs.

Terry

The main USP for me, and no doubt a number of others who use tech cams some or all of the time, was Live View on the back along with hopefully focus mask on live view.

Exactly what would be delivered in this respect has been unclear since day one and now it transpires that those of us who pre-ordered are to pay now and wait til June before we see how well this key feature works... which in my book means they are either a) still trying to make it work well enough to be of any use or b) know it'll be glitchy and don't want to screw up the launch by having that obvious up-front.

So the promise of a FW update in June means, for me at least but I suspect many others, that the most useful feature has to be taken on trust.

How does everyone feel about that?
Tim - I only have a tech camera and for me live view is nice to have and one of the features I want but it isn't the most critical. Framing for me has been done by taking a shot and adjusting not by using the viewfinder. I can still do that.....albeit faster and better with live view.
More critical for me will be focus mask (an not necessarily in live view but playback) and much better zooming on the screen with better resolution to judge focus.
So, while it would have been nice to have the live view up front I've decided I will live with the trust factor.

J

Jim2

More info on this please?
• Composition Mode in digital back (new feature)

Christopher

"Composition Mode on DB: Allowing you to shoot without saving the CF card. Of course several large and strong Xs will flash on the screen to indicate you are in composition mode to avoid accidentally shooting without saving. This mode will be great for architectural/landscape shooters who may shoot dozens of frames to make minor composition/scene tweaks prior to beginning real captures."

from: http://www.captureintegration.com/2011/04/28/phase-one-iq-extra-presents/

gazwas

More critical for me will be focus mask (an not necessarily in live view but playback) and much better zooming on the screen with better resolution to judge focus.
So, while it would have been nice to have the live view up front I've decided I will live with the trust factor.
I find the focus check feature to rank along side live view in useability IMO. Have you guys not tried the focus check in C1? Completely unreliable in my experiences especially for landscape photography and the only true way to check focus is 100% view.

So, as the new IQ backs stand until we get fully functioning units with all the FW upgrades that work as predicted (note I didn't say promised as Phase has never done that only people on places like this) the ONLY reason to purchase is for the fab screen and possibly more MP if you need them. I want the IQ's to be amazing and I'm not trying to put them down as anything Phase touches is usually great but I'm not sure with the present CCD technology what more can be done than we haven't seen already.

IQ chassis and next gen of chips is where I think the magic will start to happen but that means waiting another 2-3 years.

Terry

So, as the new IQ backs stand until we get fully functioning units with all the FW upgrades that work as predicted (note I didn't say promised as Phase has never done that only people on places like this) the ONLY reason to purchase is for the fab screen and possibly more MP if you need them.
I don't think people simply "predicted" live view and added it to the IQ conversation. It was pretty clear that Phase had live view in the specs at the announcement of the IQ backs.

Guy Mancuso

Yes Live view was mentioned in the marketing. From using the prototype which did not have anything but the zoom feature which BTW goes 100-400 percent made my mind up immediately. To me everything else will be a benefit but the zoom is the real ticket I was looking for. Also the histo and blown highlight 2 side screens without doing anything to see them made my day. Tech or non Tech shooting those 3 things without digging was the advantage i saw immediately. This goes for tech and DF shooting. Information that is fast and there will be a huge benefit. Than I think the next important feature visually will be focus mask. I was told it is accurate too but hey I believe 50 percent of what I am told compared to what I see. So we will see. Now after I heard the latest shipping specs which was before this official list a couple more things popped up that finally sold me. I was very tempted for somewhat close to the same money to get a P65+ but I'm not really after Mpx either so not sure how much that would have bought me compared to all these new feature sets which helps me as a shooter.

Guy Mancuso

Let me add on to some things i think make this back.

Iso 35 can be the difference between shooting water at 6 seconds than 4 seconds without getting into ND filters and such. Obviously these times will vary but that extra half stop may be the difference in getting water to have a nicer flow.

Second part of this is the most DR you can get which should be interesting to see what that will be. From testing the IQ 180 it is already at least a half a stop better than the P65+ or better said i can see it.

Auto keystoning and auto horizon which relates to not having to fiddle with being dead square , Cubes are no longer essential. Remember this will fix vertical and horizontal positioning when imported into C1. This can be helpful with many images or just a few. Not sure I would look at this as a gimmick but a essential tool.

2 minute exposure time. Okay not a P45+ but how many truly get past 2 minutes on a regular constant basis. Count how many times you dipped past 2 minutes. My bet not often. 2 minutes is certainly better than the current 1 minute.

The list goes on but if you break down each feature and what benefit it has than it starts making sense about the IQ. Look lets face it this is the most feature laden back to date with a great LCD. Our biggest nit pick

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Are these specs just for the IQ180 or will the lower ISO / longer shooting also apply to the IQ140/160 backs as well?

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Looking into it. Was not specific on the documents that I based the original post on, nor did I think of asking when I was going over the details with some Phase One people.

Might make some sort of sense since the 80MP chip is a new design for Phase One , as the 40MP and 60.5MP are the same as the existing P+ models. This is my theory so don't quote me on it, but looking into it for clarification.

L

etrump

Very impressive.
!

Now, the Focus Mask in Live mode for the digital back (coming June FW) is not explicitly mentioned. This is a critical function to be able to use the back on a technical camera.
So, is it coming, or no?

Victor
Having shot with a technical camera for two years I would hardly call focus mask a critical function. Once i worked out the kinks in my workflow I blow less shots due to focus on the tech camera than trying to focus with the 645. it could be that the workflow better matches the kind of images I shoot.

That's not to say I'm not anxious to start using focus mask. I think it will be a great feature when available but it's not something that will delay using the IQ180 with the tech.

etrump

Let me add on to some things i think make this back.

The list goes on but if you break down each feature and what benefit it has than it starts making sense about the IQ. Look lets face it this is the most feature laden back to date with a great LCD. Our biggest nit pick
:deadhorse:

All great points Guy.

Considering the many usability and image quality features in the iq180 an upgrade decision is easier. Picking one item as a critical feature that one must have to justify the purchase is problematic until you can demo that feature.

Focus mask and live view will be nice features but I don't believe these features alone warrant an upgrade.

C1 focus mask seems of little value so unless they have figured out some new magic why would we expect the back to do much better? A contrast scale, which is what I was told would be in live view, seems a more interesting prospect. Scanning backs have an audible contrast scale so one simply adjusts focus until the signal peaks kind of like a metal detector.

Live view will most likely be a barely functional feature and a battery hog but perhaps anything is better than nothing.

It is interesting that no one was demanding these features yet now they are critical to justifying an upgrade.

The 35 iso with more DR and lower noise is a nice and unexpected bonus. ISO 50 appeared cleaner than the p65+ in the demo backs with enough dr improvement to be noticeable visually. Any improvements in those areas with a new iso just gives us more tools in the box.

Something else that has not been mentioned is how much better pano stitching will be with the auto leveling and keystone correction.