The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The perfect portrait lens?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hope you don't mind I took a quick shot at it. I was working from your JPG, so obviously would be a bit smoother on some of the transitions if done to the raw directly.

One layer mask on the face with two adjustments
- boost the magenta luminance and push them over towards red
- skin tone consistency to blend the skin tones
- slight boost to the eye color

Took me 20 seconds. Did I end up going overboard and removing too much magenta? I'm working off a computer with an uncalibrated screen today.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

*Edit - had to reupload. Forgot to save as sRGB. Rookie mistake. :)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Like yours too. More natural. I think I went overboard.

So much you can do now in Capture One without needing to leave raw...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Maybe went a little overboard. Anyway like to go over this more with you next week when in Phoenix. And folks CI and Doug obviously are coming here for some technical training. Fly in , Drive in , run in. Really some great training and I will be there myself. I think some new gear will be there as well.:D

http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/upcoming-events/
Here it is side-by-side with slightly less adjustment. Definitely went a notch too far the first time - at least for a male - would have been good adjustments for a woman. Too even in brightness and color now. Should have remembered my own advice to make any adjustment and then back off slightly because your eyes adjust.

We have an entire section on the skin tone editor. Looking forward to your input on your real-world use of it at the workshop.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Look forward to seeing you there my friend. Looks good too.

trying to get Jack to fly in if he can.

SergeiR

Apart from C1 stuff.. ;)

There is no such thing as perfect portrait lens, b/c it always ties in with your style and style of shoot. I do like "normal" perspective more than telephoto for portraits, and it forces me to use actual "normal" lens, which is 55mm (80mm is actually a bit more narrow than human's eye). For me this is perfect portrait length. Yet - when time calls i can go to 110/140/150/180 or even 270 b/c of soft effect i needed or background push..

Crop doesnt change perspective, only "tightness of frame" so i dont take that into equation at all.