The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ExpoDisc vs GrayCard

evgeny

Hi,

can I use ExpoDisc with a Sinarback 54M / Contax 645 ?

It looks like Expodisc is faster and easier to use, potentially more accurate, more durable and easier to carry than a gray card.

Thank. :thumbup:

T

thsinar

hi Evgeny,

I am not sure to understand exactly why a grey card should be troublesome to take with you: there are small sized ones, about A5 or A6.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi,

It looks like Expodisc is faster and easier to use, potentially more accurate, more durable and easier to carry than a gray card.

D

ddk

Hi,

It depends on the camera and the lighting conditions. I found expodisc great for single lighting conditions but not for mixed lighting, then I had to use a gray card. I also found out that my Fuji S5s don't work well with the expodisc, can't tell you why just that the WB is always off if I try to use it. In the end you're going to need a gray card too with your expodisc.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You should know that the Expo-disk exhibits fall-off toward it's edges, so is not advisable for a color-cast correction tool; here the Capture Integation/Phase Pocket LCC card is faster and more accurate and only about $20. I also find that a good gray card is easier to use than the Expo, and faster in most cases, because you don't have to mount it. For this I prefer Betterlight's super-gray card. Not 18%, more like 12%, but very neutral and non-reflective; also about $20. I can WB just about any situation with these two tools.

Cheers,

evgeny

Thank all for replies!

Thierry, if I point gray card at an angle to the camera it will not be exactly read as 18%. Is that right?