The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do you shoot weddings tethered?

evgeny

I will take my Nikon gear as usual, and I also consider Contax 645 with Sinarback 54M tethered to macbook?

Do you shoot wedding ceremonies, in particular Jewish hupa, tethered?

Comment please.

Thank

Graham Mitchell

I have my first wedding coming up, and I will be shooting tethered for all the shots taken with lighting set up in one location. Main reasons: I won't have to worry about storage capacity, and the visual feedback is so much better.

For the more spontaneous shots where you are moving around, untethered.

evgeny

Thanks.
I absolutely like shooting tethered. I can control result and immediately retake photo if necessary. I found that a 3-4" screen cannot compare to a 13" macbook, and number of photos is limited only by hard drive and battery.

On the other side there are moments when I will need to move.
Since this is first time tethered I'm a bit afraid how fast and easy I will put expensive gear in my backpack to switch to Nikon or my another Contax with film back.
:rolleyes::D

fotografz

Lots of luck on that, you'll need it ;)

Weddings are very hectic, time crunching affairs that are often hard to keep up with in the best of circumstances.

So, after shooting thousands of weddings I can't imagine shooting a wedding tethered to a laptop. The formals maybe ... signing the Ketubah, the processional, ceremony, recessional, receiving line, etc. would be a nightmare.

When shooting a Jewish Chuppa you are often (not always) allowed to shoot around from the sides and back because it is very difficult to capture much of the proceedings from one vantage point. Being tethered would limit your movements and be a huge disadvantage.

To get decent exposures learn to read your Histogram.

PSon

Only you can answer it but you do not know your mileage until you try it out first. For me if I go through this process there must be worthy goals to meet. What is your truly worthy purposes to do this method?

evgeny

Thank!

This evening I shot a test subject with a Nikon DSLR and Contax645/54M. After I compared images directly from the camera, I decided to try the 54M in the wedding. :D

I can put my opened Macbook sideways in F.64 Medium Format Bag for better ventilation and use short FireWire cable to connect the back to camera. The bag is on my shoulder and I can move anywhere, I found this is Ok. I only afraid if hard drive in Macbook can operate sideways.

Goal: this wedding is of my family member, and I want to please him and also add best possible photos to my portfolio.

PSon

Those are great goals and the right setting to shoot tether. I wish you great success and your family will love your extra miles of effort.

I like your creativity to make this work on your shoulder to add the mobility. Love to hear your experience in doing this method. For a highly experienced wedding photographers I am sure the proper exposure issue are digested already since it would be hard to see the screen. I can see you do not need to see the screen to do this set up as you implied.

Last edited:

evgeny

I found that Nikon SB800 flash works perfectly with Contax 645. I can shoot about every second which is excellent performance for action, up to date flashes cannot fire faster.

I also prepared two fully charged Macbook batteries, which should give me approximately 3 full hours of tethered work.

Well, lets see, I will probably post something after the wedding :thumbup:

By the way all current images in my gallery on this web site are from 35mm film :)

PSon

I found that Nikon SB800 flash works perfectly with Contax 645. I can shoot about every second which is excellent performance for action, up to date flashes cannot fire faster.

I also prepared two fully charged Macbook batteries, which should give me approximately 3 full hours of tethered work.

Well, lets see, I will probably post something after the wedding :thumbup:

By the way all current images in my gallery on this web site are from 35mm film :)
I admire you enthusiasm and with hard work I am sure it will paid off at the end. It seems like you know your light well so you will not need any more support. If you like I can show you how I shoot wedding with flash but we all have our ways of doing thing.

BTW I have used all 22 megapixels back and the best 22 megapixels back that I ever own is the Sinar 54H in single shot mode to be fair. I am sure your Sinar back is the same way but much lighter than mine.

-Son

fotografz

Hey, I'm always open to new ideas ... and I fully grasp the goal of higher image quality ... which is why I often shoot some wedding work with a H3D-II or 203FE/CFV ... but I do not fully understand this idea of experimenting with tethered shooting at someone's wedding, family or not.

It seems this could be an idea that could be first tested more completely without risking someone's precious wedding memories.

Anyway, best of luck and come back to tell us how it worked for you.

evgeny

Son, thanks.

I admire you enthusiasm and with hard work I am sure it will paid off at the end. It seems like you know your light well so you will not need any more support. If you like I can show you how I shoot wedding with flash but we all have our ways of doing thing.
I'm new to MFDB. I started learning CaptureShop software as Thierry adviced. I never shot tethered before as well. So, I may ask questions :D

I like do all right at the time of shooting. My knowledge of photoshop is primitive and limited to a few basic operations. I don't like spend hours in editing images and learning photoshop.

I found that Contax 645 works not same as Nikonras, the difference is mainly relative to flash, triggering flash, flash/shutter speeds, etc.

I will be glad to know how you shoot wedding with flash. I always like to learn from others.

BTW I have used all 22 megapixels back and the best 22 megapixels back that I ever own is the Sinar 54H in single shot mode to be fair. I am sure your Sinar back is the same way but much lighter than mine.

-Son
The 54M is really not big and weights approx 400g, I think. But I cannot handle the Weight of all my Contax 645 gear, Nikon flash, Macbook and spare batteries in bag. :banghead: :ROTFL:

evgeny

Hey, I'm always open to new ideas ... and I fully grasp the goal of higher image quality ... which is why I often shoot some wedding work with a H3D-II or 203FE/CFV ... but I do not fully understand this idea of experimenting with tethered shooting at someone's wedding, family or not.
I have only tethered 54M back right now. I paid same as Kodak backs on eBay. But 54M is close to full frame with large sensor and more pixels. So, lets have fun :thumbs:

Please share how do you use gray card at wedding?

Last edited:

evgeny

Thanks all for replies!

Please rest; I was a guest at the wedding. :D
As the family member I had the opportunity to try my new Sinarback 54M, which I bought for my studio work.

I set Contax 645 and flash to f5.6 and ISO 100, which provided approx 10 meters of working distance in low light. The Macbook was in shoulder bag, this added mobility. I think the Sinarback 54M was able to capture images each 2-3 seconds.

I encountered a number of problems. Macbook with a spare battery adds significant weight. Focus in C645 is slower than Nikon and may fall in low contrast.

CaptureShop may crash after Macbook goes to sleep. When Macbook wakes up a Relaunch dialog is shown. I forgot to set Macbook to Performance mode, as Thierry recommended, to minimize sleeps. I will test shooting in Performance mode with batteries again. Also Macbook may crash. I don't know if setting Performance mode will help.

Folks, that's all for now :)
I have to do more tests.

The 54M captures images of fantastic quality, especially compared to DSLR.

Thanks

Last edited: