The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 has arrived. Request for tests.

coulombic

Yea thinking about the Extreme pros now. I use just Extremes presently.

Of course i have plenty of time . Who knows when they will start shipping the IQ 140.
Team and AMP 600x cards worked extremely well with my P65+ (for roughly half the price of Lexar/SanDisk offerings).

Terry

Yea thinking about the Extreme pros now. I use just Extremes presently.

Of course i have plenty of time . Who knows when they will start shipping the IQ 140.
My Extreme Pros arrived about a week ago and are ready and waiting to be put to use. Now I just wait for my new 43mm to show up. Ohhh, and of course the new back.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well you know your all going to piss me off having your IQ months before me. Arrgh Yes i want you all to feel really bad for me and start donating to my little dog off the porch piggy bank fund.

Just kidding. maybe the lotto ticket will hit. LOL

vieri

It ain't about the accesories, BUT...

1: Same charger made for an amateur video camcorder c.1992.
2: No USB3.0 > USB 3.0 lead? hello it is 2011.
3: How many batteries, what capacity?
4: They only give you C1 DB ?! -all that money and they don't give you the full C1 Pro licence. I mean... really? a little gift, is surely possible.
Agreed! Plus, I might add that the present charger with its cover tend to start looking like cr.p after a while in use and being moved around, is definitely not sturdy and frankly a cover-less double charger Nikon-D3-style would be better IMHO; the cable, they should definitely provide a USB3.0 lead; battery-wise, I'd expect at least two (but am afraid they will give zero); C1 DB, I agree here as well, it looks bad in the way that it definitely looks like they know one has probably at least another camera and will probably want to standardize and use CB for that as well and - after getting 40+ K for the IQ 180 - they want a couple hundred bucks for the software too... not the end of the world, but not quite classy as well :D

tashley

Subscriber Member
Fascinating Steve: I tested an 8GB Sandisk Extreme 4 in my P65+ several times and consistently got between 8.5 and 9 seconds from shutter press to 100% zoom view albeit it requires three button presses... so we have an improvement on the IQ180 of between 2 and 2.5 seconds over the p65+.

Tim -

This was with an 8GB Sandisk Extreme. I've always thought 4 seconds on my 5DMK-II was a bit on the slow side, so I can understand. I think we have to keep in mind that many of these tests will be evaluations of performance via Version 1 and that improvements may indeed be forthcoming.

But it's important to benchmark the current status concerning the out of the box experience. I'm sure we'll have some back and forth with the development team with regard to many of our findings to get a sense what type of improvements may be in store down the road.

Steve Hendrix

Dan Santoso

the 2 seconds improvement is because you dont need to press the 3 buttons :)

Seriously in the video, they said instantaneous viewing :deadhorse:

cng

Based on Lance's post from another thread (below) it appears we may be being a bit harsh on P1 about the hardcase and C1 licence. And to think I was half-joking when I said that the cardboard box shipped in a hardcase.

Lance posted an image of the packaging + hardcase in the thread.

http://www.forums.getdpi.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=312534

People are always asking what's the difference between Value Add and Classic configurations from Phase One, so I have taken a picture of what came with our IQ180 demo unit and am providing a descriptions of contents the contents that come with each config. The only difference I have seen so far in the kits between the P+ and IQ is the addition of a USB 3.0 cable.

Classic Configuration:
IQ or P+ Digital Back w/ 1 year classic warranty
Accessories:

- Small Weatherproof case
- Digital back Battery
- Dual DB battery charger
- 4.5m Firewire Cable
- CCD Cleaning Kit
- Capture One DB

Value Added Configuration:
IQ Digital Back w/ 5 Year Valued Added Warranty (loaner unit during repair)
P+ Digital Back w/3 Year Value Added Warranty (loaner unit during repair)
Accessories:
- Waterproof stroller hard case with room for 17” laptop
- 2 lens wraps
- 2 digital back batteries
- 4.5m Firewire Cable (800 to 800 w/ IQ)
- Dual DB battery charger
- DB Multi connector cable
- LCC calibration plate
- CF card (4gb or 8gb)
- CF card reader
- QP reference cards
- Digiclean CCD cleaning kit
- USB 3 cable
- Capture One Pro license

L

tashley

Subscriber Member
the 2 seconds improvement is because you dont need to press the 3 buttons :)

Seriously in the video, they said instantaneous viewing :deadhorse:
Yup, and that is economical with the truth: it is only instant for an image that has already been processed - say, one you took a few minutes ago.

Steve Hendrix

It ain't about the accesories, BUT...

1: Same charger made for an amateur video camcorder c.1992.
2: No USB3.0 > USB 3.0 lead? hello it is 2011.
3: How many batteries, what capacity?
4: They only give you C1 DB ?! -all that money and they don't give you the full C1 Pro licence. I mean... really? a little gift, is surely possible.

Ok, I have to play a little devils advocate here (don't take that literally).

The case - keep in mind the Leica S2 comes in a very similar packaging. They do still offer the Storm rolling case with the Value Add Warranty. It doesn't appear - at this point - a hard case comes with the Classic Kit. If so, then perhaps that will come later, because these first Classic Warranty Kits have arrived only in the box, no case.

USB - There are multiple USB 3 formats and the supplied cable is compatible with USB 3 on both ends.

Charger - It's by far the best charger supplied with any digital back sold today. Is there a better one? PM some suggestions to me and we'll have Phase One change this tomorrow! Well, ok, maybe not. But send me some suggestions please. One thing I do know is that smaller 3rd party accessories like these tend to get purchased in bulk by relatively smaller companies like Phase One, Leaf, etc, (it's the only way to get the price down, as these 3rd party companies typically sell them in way higher volume to huge companies). So, sometimes, it takes some time (years and years) to whittle through the inventory and the cost is not insignificant. On the Plus side (pun intended) if you're upgrading from a recent vintage Plus back, then you'll have 2 of the same charger, for volume charging or for backup, since you'll be able to keep the one you already have.

One battery - same capacity. Classic package has always been 1 battery, Value Add always has 2 batteries. Remember, we have the same battery for $40.

Regarding C1, isn't the IQ gift enough? :rolleyes: But seriously, I can see both sides, why send someone a C1 Pro license when they may not even have a Canon/Nikon camera to use with it? Probably they do, but it's probably less a percentage than you think. It's not accurate to think of throwing in a $399 licensed piece of software as a freebie, or insignificant. Yes, it is a license, but there is support for that license, and that is indeed a cost. And it does offset the efforts of the software division that is designed to produce sales to 3rd party cameras. And support for 3rd party cameras is often more difficult than support for Phase One products. I'm divided on this issue. It would be a nice gesture. It actually makes the most sense from a marketing perspective. But it does seem potentially wasted on perhaps 30% or more of the purchasers, who may not have a Canon or Nikon. They can always download a trial. But...then again....

Steve Hendrix

vjbelle

Ok,these first Classic Warranty Kits have arrived only in the box, no case.

Steve Hendrix
What is the cost for upgrading to the Value added warranty? Does that cost include all of the extras?

There was some mention of warranties for purchase on an annual basis.... what is the status and cost regarding this?

Victor

Guy Mancuso

I think it is 4k you get all the extra's plus a 3 year warranty and loaner program plus a mount swap. Steve can enlighten you more but I think that is the case

Steve Hendrix

I think it is 4k you get all the extra's plus a 3 year warranty and loaner program plus a mount swap. Steve can enlighten you more but I think that is the case

$4,000 - Value Add 5 Year Warranty, includes Hot Swap, Extra Accessories

If upgrading from P+ 3 Year Value Add Warranty to IQ 5 Year Value Add Warranty, the range is $1,603 (from P65+) - $3,360 (from P20+).

For individual single year warranty:
$699 - 1 Year Repair Warranty (<18MP), in warranty
$999 - 1 Year Repair Warranty (<18MP), out of warranty
$1,499 - 1 Year Uptime Warranty (includes loaner) (<18MP), in warranty
$1,999 - 1 Year Uptime Warranty (includes loaner) (<18MP), out of warranty

$999 - 1 Year Repair Warranty (>22MP), in warranty
$1,499 - Year Repair Warranty (>22MP), out of warranty
$1,799 - 1 Year Uptime Warranty (includes loaner) (>22MP), in warranty
$2,699 - 1 Year Uptime Warranty (includes loaner) (>22MP), out of warranty

Steve Hendrix

Valentin

....I'm divided on this issue. It would be a nice gesture. It actually makes the most sense from a marketing perspective. But it does seem potentially wasted on perhaps 30% or more of the purchasers, who may not have a Canon or Nikon. They can always download a trial. But...then again....

Steve Hendrix
I already have C1 Pro so I don't have any beef on this :D, but maybe a compromise of some sorts: get one license without any upgrades. It is my understanding that if you purchase C1 Pro, it comes with one upgrade (next version, not minor updates). Or some kind of discount ($99 instead of paying full price).

vieri

I'm divided on this issue. It would be a nice gesture. It actually makes the most sense from a marketing perspective. But it does seem potentially wasted on perhaps 30% or more of the purchasers, who may not have a Canon or Nikon. They can always download a trial. But...then again....

Steve Hendrix
Steve, I think that for the case you mentioned (people without a Canon or Nikon - or without ANY other camera that C1 supports, which is slightly more difficult) the problem doesn't exist: is not a "wasted gift", meaning that those customers will never use it, so for C1 is a 0 sum situation :D I stand on my position of actually questioning the good faith of Phase One on this one - I think is a deliberate move to earn a little more $$ out of almost every customer that doesn't get the Added Value Pack, a move which - while making sense on their side as a sure 400 extra bucks - I still find very un-classy as an attitude towards customers that spend 10s of thousand dollars on one's product. I give you one better: I'd go the opposite way, and as a gesture of reward for loyal customers I would REFUND the purchase price to customers who already bought C1 previously to buying a IQ or P back :D now, THAT would be a really classy gesture and basically cost-free for C1... :toocool:

gazwas

I personally don't think Phase should supply C1 Pro with either. The DB version is the full version to use with a Phase back and if you need to use a DSLR then pay the upgrade.

Since C1 has been a paid application the upgrades and excellent new features have been coming thick and fast and thats how it should be. Giving it away free just reduces the amount of investment the software developers get.

Remember with version 3 you got two free major upgrades (virtually everyone using C1 then), the resulting version 4 was a disater that took forever to arrive. I had to use lightroom, which I hated with my then new Canons for 12 months before a Pro version got released and it was FULL of bugs!

The upgrade fee is pretty small considering the investment involved and its not as if your left high and dry with the digital back.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Steve, I think that for the case you mentioned (people without a Canon or Nikon - or without ANY other camera that C1 supports, which is slightly more difficult) the problem doesn't exist: is not a "wasted gift", meaning that those customers will never use it, so for C1 is a 0 sum situation :D I stand on my position of actually questioning the good faith of Phase One on this one - I think is a deliberate move to earn a little more $$ out of almost every customer that doesn't get the Added Value Pack, a move which - while making sense on their side as a sure 400 extra bucks - I still find very un-classy as an attitude towards customers that spend 10s of thousand dollars on one's product. I give you one better: I'd go the opposite way, and as a gesture of reward for loyal customers I would REFUND the purchase price to customers who already bought C1 previously to buying a IQ or P back :D now, THAT would be a really classy gesture and basically cost-free for C1... :toocool:

All good points, as are the points made by Gazwas and Valentin. There's a lot to consider on both sides of the issue. I think if there was not a dedicated team for Capture One sales and marketing, not to mention specific and significant development costs of Capture One for Canon and Nikon, then there might be more opportunity/motivation for just tossing it in.

Steve Hendrix

Guy Mancuso

BTW I have a Phase hard case for sale it is the back version. It's in the B&S for 50 dollars if anyone wants one. I actually have 3 cases

cng

Lance's post is only for the value added I think. It does not say hard case for the classic one
Lance's image shows the Value Added hardcase, but the Classic configuration lists a "small weatherproof case". Is this just a glorified plastic box, maybe not something like the mini Pelicans?

To be fair, this is pretty minor stuff.

I personally don't think Phase should supply C1 Pro with either. The DB version is the full version to use with a Phase back and if you need to use a DSLR then pay the upgrade.

The upgrade fee is pretty small considering the investment involved and its not as if your left high and dry with the digital back.
True enough, and I agree. But ... there is a small part of me that still thinks that given the size of the investment and the "premium" nature of the product, then customers should also be provided with the "premium" version of the software. After all, we are buying into the top of the food chain with these backs.

I actually have 3 cases
:ROTFL:

vieri

Since C1 has been a paid application the upgrades and excellent new features have been coming thick and fast and thats how it should be. Giving it away free just reduces the amount of investment the software developers get.

All good points, as are the points made by Gazwas and Valentin. There's a lot to consider on both sides of the issue. I think if there was not a dedicated team for Capture One sales and marketing, not to mention specific and significant development costs of Capture One for Canon and Nikon, then there might be more opportunity/motivation for just tossing it in.

Steve Hendrix
Well, while I see your points, you guys pretty much forget that tossing it in wouldn't exactly be a "gift" from Phase ;) It would mean to take a very very minimal slice of the pretty large margin they have on the backs and use it to pay for the software license, THEIR cost of which - let's not forget - is not quite the retail price that WE pay (there is margin on that, too). So, it would mean a VERY little reduction on profit (which is very different from an actual EXPENSE) for Phase to provide what I still consider it would be a great, classy act to customers who invested, let's not forget, 10s of K-bucks in their products (most customers do not use the back on a tech camera ONLY, so we have other 10s of K-bucks in their system as a whole, too, besides the back) :D

I actually think the same thing for the battery: adding a second one in all kits, which given the exceedingly short duration of one's charge (especially in 2011 battery life terms) is pretty much a minimal necessity for any shooter, would cost them what, a few bucks? Less than 10, I am pretty sure - but no, to get the back to minimal operational status they ask you for a few $ extra for a second battery - not cool :toocool:

Just little things, of course, and definitely not the end of the world - but it would make quite a different impression and make them stand out even more over the competition, if they'd take care of them, and that would come at a very very low cost for them if any at all, too. Just my .02 of course.