The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 has arrived. Request for tests.

stephengilbert

Why the delay, Guy? Almost ten minutes between Steve's post and your reply.

Let's try to keep our eyes on the ball, okay?

Steve Hendrix

Send one to Guy. Lol

Seriously do a you tube on the LCD focusing and menu.

We've all seen the datasheet, we've seen the feature list. What we're interested in is confirming the real world performance of these features. That's what we'll be spending our time on over the coming weeks (and months).

I can see many potential opportunities to verify what the feature list claims the IQ180 can do as well as adding context to how well it actually does them.

Looking forward to hearing suggestions from you on how tests to see how well the IQ180 actually performs.

Steve Hendrix

cng

Files with made wide schneider lenses off a tech camera with C1 6.2 correcting the banding. Preferably pre and post LCC corrections.
+1. I made a similar request to Steve's post on LL, but re. sensor casts with large movements. Forgot to specify Schneider lenses. My personal preference would be to see the 28, 35 and/or 43.

Pre and post comparisons would be interesting too.

Also interested in focusing on a tech camera using the new screen and current firmware features.

narikin

nice, but... how many are you expecting for your CUSTOMERS in the next couple of weeks?!

I want to get working with mine, not reading about tests anymore.

Send one to Guy. Lol

Seriously do a you tube on the LCD focusing and menu.
Steve,

I'm with Guy here. Acknowledged that focus mask and live view may not be operative yet, but I expect that the 100% or 150% view will provide me the best means to ensure good focus anyway. A good video tutorial on the general use of the IQ series without being camera-specific would be superb.

:lecture:

Steve Hendrix

nice, but... how many are you expecting for your CUSTOMERS in the next couple of weeks?!

I want to get working with mine, not reading about tests anymore.

Gosh yes!

Typically, new products like this trickle at first and that is my expectation. I am expecting regular shipments ongoing, but not in high volume. If you check with your dealer on where you are in the order queue, they can give you a guesstimate on delivery time for you.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

I'm with Guy here. Acknowledged that focus mask and live view may not be operative yet, but I expect that the 100% or 150% view will provide me the best means to ensure good focus anyway. A good video tutorial on the general use of the IQ series without being camera-specific would be superb.

:lecture:

Absolutely - video tutorials coming up.

As far as checking focus on the screen itself, I already compared that to the 5DMK-II with the IQ180 prototypes and found it to be as good as, if not better at checking focus (and tonality) than the 5DMK-II (at a glance). More intensive evaluation will be forthcoming.

Steve Hendrix

vjbelle

Steve,

How clear is the LCD screen when viewed with a loupe - like a Hoodman or Schneider? This is my preferred way to check for focus......

Victor

coulombic

I have a few questions:

Long-exposure performance at low ISOs and small apertures. My P65+ occasionally had a purple reverse-vignette after the 40-second mark. I'd like to see if this has been addressed.

ISO 35 performance.

With my Aptus II 12, I have issues with color accuracy. This was apparently also an issue with the evaluation versions of the IQ180. Has this been addressed (slightly red shadows)?

I've also noticed a need for LCC profiles with my Aptus on lenses that my P65+ never did. Perhaps you could demonstrate performance of the 75-150mm f/4.5 D without any LCCs applied, as well as the 45mm D and the 28mm D.

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

How clear is the LCD screen when viewed with a loupe - like a Hoodman or Schneider? This is my preferred way to check for focus......

Victor

That will be looked at today - I would expect it to be as clear as any screen available with a loupe, due to the high resolution.

Steve Hendrix

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actual frame count for the first battery charge -- including all your chimping and playing with the menus, focus preview, etc.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea given the power management was turned off on the prototypes good to know battery life now on a real production unit. LOL

I went through 8 batteries in a day on the Prototype. LOL

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

Victor

Just did a quick test, shooting outside against 5DMK-II screen, same image, same exposure. The IQ180 screen looks sharper. Oh....duh! :)

They look very similar generally speaking in terms of clarity, resolution, tone. When viewed using a loupe, it is easy to see that the screen from the IQ180 displays finer detail than the 5DMK-II screen, which shows more "pixel-ness" than the IQ180 screen.

I will say it was a whole lot faster viewing an 80MP image at 100% on the IQ180 than it was viewing a 22MP image at 100% on the 5DMK-II.

Steve Hendrix

tashley

Subscriber Member
Steve, on the demo unit I tried, the 'zoom to 100%' time to check focus was very fast BUT only when the image was already 'processed' by the camera. A key metric is:

From the moment you press the shutter release, to the fastest you can get a 100% zoomed image to review on the screen, how long does it take? On the demo unit it was 10-12 seconds, with the card supplied by Phase and with another pro agreeing my timings.

My point being that if the fabled Live View with Focus Mask method of getting good focus with a tech cam is not yet nor may ever be available or fully viable, then this 'shoot-chimp-adjust' cycle needs to be fast.

Would love to hear your results! Thanks in advance...
Tim

Steve Hendrix

Steve, on the demo unit I tried, the 'zoom to 100%' time to check focus was very fast BUT only when the image was already 'processed' by the camera. A key metric is:

From the moment you press the shutter release, to the fastest you can get a 100% zoomed image to review on the screen, how long does it take? On the demo unit it was 10-12 seconds, with the card supplied by Phase and with another pro agreeing my timings.

My point being that if the fabled Live View with Focus Mask method of getting good focus with a tech cam is not yet nor may ever be available or fully viable, then this 'shoot-chimp-adjust' cycle needs to be fast.

Would love to hear your results! Thanks in advance...
Tim

Good point Tim.

Just tested. Different result this time.

Shoot, zoom 100%. IQ180 - 6.5 seconds
Shoot, zoom 100%. 5DMK-II - 4 seconds

Progress, perhaps more improvement down the line. Still, I suppose that's not bad for a raw image that is over 3 times the size of the 5DMK-II file.

Steve Hendrix