The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The end of sliding adapters with iq series?

danlindberg

With live view on the latest backs, is it possible to rely entirely on this for composure and focusing on a tech camera? Not buying the sliding adaptor at all. Or is it rather a focus confirmation tool when the exposure is done?

cng

No-one knows yet. Live View reportedly won't be enabled until a firmware update in June. Capture Integration have promised to test how the the currently available IQ180 firmware features (zooming, focus mask etc.) affects workflow on a tech camera.

Current opinion of Live View runs the gamut from optimistic to sceptical. Have to wait and see.

danlindberg

I see. I thought I read somewhere "true live view" and took it for granted that it was up and running.
I can see that many would have a hard time to adjust to compose with live view, but imagine the compactness of a small wide-body, a lens and live view! Fantastic.

I can also see a great benifit if you continue to use a sliding adaptor and compose and focus on the groundglass, but before you shoot, you zoom in on your focuspoint with the back in place and finetune the focus to perfection. Wouldn't this be absolutely amazing!!!

gazwas

I see. I thought I read somewhere "true live view" and took it for granted that it was up and running.
I can see that many would have a hard time to adjust to compose with live view, but imagine the compactness of a small wide-body, a lens and live view! Fantastic.
Live view is up and running on Phase One backs but only while tethered to a computer. Live view with CCD chips is nothing like with Canon or Nikon cameras and if its implemented on the IQ backs in the same way as when tethered to Capture One presently with a P+ back then IMO, it will have limited use.

Being able to shoot as you suggest above is never going to happen EVER with present chip design. Reportedly, the next gen of Phase backs will have a new chip design...... CMOS (??) with true live view and HD video possibly but who knows at this stage as its just speculation.

cly

No back will show you what's next to the covered area/in the image circle of you lens. If you use, e.g., your own stitching mask, a ground glass, and hence a sliding adapter too, may still be useful.

Chris

cng

Live view is up and running on Phase One backs but only while tethered to a computer.
Yes, much more accurate. There has been so much discussion on these forums about the long-awaited untethered Live View using the IQ's new screen that I just assumed that's what the OP was asking about.

archivue

my last work had to be done in a 1x2 aspect ratio... using stitching... with an home made mask on the GG, it was easy to compose !

but a live view like on a 5D II on a DB back will cover 99% of my needs, but it's not there !

SergeiR

Reportedly, the next gen of Phase backs will have a new chip design...... CMOS (??) with true live view and HD video possibly but who knows at this stage as its just speculation.
God i hope not.. CCD is reason for me to stick with MF

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
God i hope not.. CCD is reason for me to stick with MF
If you step back I think what you mean is image quality is the reason you stick with MF.

I care about results not technology trees. Currently that means CCD digital backs. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

I think it's safe to assume, based on market-positioning (customers who care first and foremost about image quality and will sacrifice features/convenience as needed) and historical decisions that Phase/Leaf would not switch architecture unless image quality is maintained (or improved).

I don't care if they use CCD, CMOS, or a Magic Fairy - I only care what the result is.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

vieri

With live view on the latest backs, is it possible to rely entirely on this for composure and focusing on a tech camera? Not buying the sliding adaptor at all. Or is it rather a focus confirmation tool when the exposure is done?
A sliding adaptor is a tool that allows you to do panoramic stitching without having to move the camera/tripod head by using the portion of a lens' image circle that is normally not used by the single, centered frame - it doesn't affect focussing. When you check out your Tech camera lenses, both Rodenstock & Schneider in the lens data provide you with information on the covered image circle, often with superimposed sensor sizes, to help you make up your mind on which lens is more useful for your specific need.

If you step back I think what you mean is image quality is the reason you stick with MF.

I care about results not technology trees. Currently that means CCD digital backs. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

I think it's safe to assume, based on market-positioning (customers who care first and foremost about image quality and will sacrifice features/convenience as needed) and historical decisions that Phase/Leaf would not switch architecture unless image quality is maintained (or improved).

I don't care if they use CCD, CMOS, or a Magic Fairy - I only care what the result is.

Doug Peterson
+1. Very well put Doug! :D

Christopher

We will see CMOS Sensors sooner rather than later, I would even bet that the next generation uses them. And no there won't be a huge new way how CMOS are made or anything. Suddenly people will see that current CMOS technology is already nearly as good as CCDs and in 2-3 years will probably be better. Just look at the d3x at base ISO. Huge DR, great pixel quality. No remove the AA Filter and blow up the sensor and put 100MPs in it and I promise you, nobody will complain about CMOS anymore.

the IQ180 is currently the best tool out there when it comes to image quality. (as long as the promises are kept ;-) )

However, I personally looking a lot more forward what the next Canon 1Ds flagship will bring (or Nikon). I think it will be a huge step forward not only in MPs but also DR.

Ok, the last sentence is only hope. We know the new Canon will have 30-40Mp, I only hope they also focus on DR and others stuff.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I also think that CMOS is the future.

And I also hope that they (the vendors) do not only concentrate on MP but also on DR and other stuff important for great IQ!

archivue

i know, i'm just a stupid french, with strange ideas, but... just imagine a sort of sliding back, with on one end a CMOS sensor with a wonderfull screen for framing... then you shoot with the second end... a CCD sensor !

cunim

Steve, you are of course correct. Use the camera that gives the best results. But, I can't help wondering where it all takes us. When the camera finally becomes so good that any idiot can make acceptable images, the romance will be gone and photos will be product.

Oh brave new world. True live view at 160 MP, auto DR mapping, ultraresolution, low noise high ISO and really effective image stabilization all there in your average $5K camera weighing a couple of pounds. It's inevitable. By then (about ten years), no one will care. Still images will be passe. When they are wanted, truly lifelike rendered images will be made without ever filling a lens. And there we will be. Perfect cameras that no one needs because there are so many excellent photos out there that everything is repetition. Isn't it better that we have to struggle a bit to make something good?

Yeah, I know. Luddite. Getting old. You know what I would like to see more than MF live view? An 8 x 10 film dingus that autoloads and unloads the holders. Oh yes, and an easy to use daylight developing system that is still in production. And a low cost drum scanner with automated loading. And ,.,, argh. Maybe the perfect digital camera isn't so bad.

rhsu

i know, i'm just a stupid french, with strange ideas, but... !
Many patents are derivative from "stupid ideas" (ie Volvo seat belt that we see in use today in all cars) and from "lazy workers" :)

Going back to the thread, I always miss live view when not tethered to computer. LV uses the sensor to do the focusing - WYSIWYG focus. But with GG, it can be slightly off but usually "should" not but never as accurate as LV straight from the sensor esp when T/S is applied.

However, a ground glass is about the best solution for my Cambo WRS at this stage until the LV with P1 comes to life... and cannot wait for that in June (?).