The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P65+ info up.

fotografz

OMG!

$42,000. for a back, camera and lens $$$$$$$$$$???????

That'll separate the men & women from the boys & girls.

David K

Workshop Member
Actually it's not as expensive as I would have expected. If street price is a bit lower it's not that much higher than Leaf or Sinar, and that's at today's US$ exchange rate.

N

Natasa Stojsic

OMG!

$42,000. for a back, camera and lens $$$$$$$$$$???????

That'll separate the men & women from the boys & girls.
True for now.... However, the price will come down, deals will pop up and like in everything else... ''customers are best equalizers''.... we wont buy if they keep the prices up:thumbup:

Perhaps not everybody will have one now, but in time if you visit this forum next year... I'm sure you'll see many will have one, some may even add a baby P30+ next to it even though there is no need for it.... apparently with P65+ you can switch modes P65+/P30+ and shoot FAST/SLOW/LONG EXPOSURE/EVERYTHING!!!:thumbs:

Of course I am excited about it, but not hungry though:thumbup:

Last edited:

LJL

Let's hope that is correct about "variable resolution" as an option, and that they still have 5-6 months to get that long exposure part worked out, as it did not sound like that was a "for sure" part yet. (Not saying MR did not report things accurately, but even he admits that some of his words reflect speculation on his part.)

As for the price...did anybody really expect something like this to come in much below this price tag? However, as Natasa says, buyers will determine if this price sticks or not, as may anything put out there by Sinar, and we still have not heard all from Hassy on their 645 camera. Competition is good, and let's hope the makers compete hard for customers ;-)

LJ

PeterA

To all the real men and women boys and girls out there who need this bigger big boy stuff...I will pay $5K for a P25+ back today - thanks.

fotografz

Actually, what will be most interesting is how this back will compare to a 39 meg Multi-Shot ... if it does so favorably (TBD), then the price isn't so out of wack since Multi-Shot 39 meg backs are right up there price wise ... and in fact would be far more preferable since it wouldn't require a still subject.

Then it will be of much more interest to many professionals looking for that level of image capture once only available with a Multi-Shot ... like me : -)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Doug posted this . I thought I would quote him here on the focal length with FF 645
28mm lens used with a P65+ is the same as an 18mm lens used with full-frame 35mm body (e.g. 1Ds Mark III)
35mm lens used with a P65+ is the same as a 22mm lens used with full-frame 35mm body (e.g. 1Ds Mark III)

That is pretty powerful wide angle coverage

Paul2660

Curious,

The P45 is has a 1:1 crop, because of this, I have assumed that the 28mm Mamiya would be 19.8mm effective in a 35mm format and the 35mm would be 24.2.

Does that sync with the new size of the P65+? which is 1:0,

Paul C

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 28mm now Paul is 21mm and the 35mm is 28mm give or take a MM on the P25 and P45. Hope I have that right

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If I could afford it without feeling any pain, I'd order it right now and not even care about the trade-in value of my P45+... But I still have three kids to get through University so it may be a while for me...

Which gets straight to the point of do I *need* it? ... Unfortunately I do not. But that doesn't stop me from wanting it anyway :ROTFL:

Right now, only two unanswered questions give me pause: The first is, how long of exposure will the new Dalsa sensor allow? I often shoot exposures in the 1 to 2 minute range and traditionally, Dalsa has not had good long-exposure characteristics beyond 30 seconds. The second is what gains will the low-resolution setting allow? (Ha! -- now 30MP is "low" resolution!) Higher frame rates and higher ISO, or only one of those, or none at all except a smaller file?

IF one got faster frame rates and/or higher ISO, then this back becomes a true 2-fer and hence seems to pretty quickly justify its cost of entry. Especially true for those of you who are already shooting a combo of backs like the P30+/H31 with P45+/H39 for the options of both speed/High-ISO and overall image quality...

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
It'll also be interesting to see what kind of color differences there may be between images taken with the Dalsa sensor compared to those taken with the Kodak sensor in the P+ backs.

Kurt

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Right now, only two unanswered questions give me pause: The first is, how long of exposure will the new Dalsa sensor allow? I often shoot exposures in the 1 to 2 minute range and traditionally, Dalsa has not had good long-exposure characteristics beyond 30 seconds. The second is what gains will the low-resolution setting allow? (Ha! -- now 30MP is "low" resolution!) Higher frame rates and higher ISO, or only one of those, or none at all except a smaller file?
Long Exposures: Currently 1 minute maximum for a clean exposure (temperature dependent as with any digital system). However, if you look at the max exposure Phase One can accomplish with the Kodak chip compared to competitors using the exact same chip you'll see that there is a LOT more than just chip design that goes into long exposure specs, much of which is the patented intellectual property of Phase One (e.g. the wake-up architecture of the electronics and high-performance-shutter-speed-dependent-dark-slide-exposure).

I'm the tech guy, so I'll just say that all of my conversations with Phase One engineers/technicians indicates that the current performance level (extraordinary and class-leading though it may be) is only the beginning of what Phase can accomplish. I'd look for firmware/software/hardware improvements that will take this back even further ahead of the competition (Phase has always been extremely generous with their trade-in programs).

Yes, I am excited :). I love product launches! I was up all night keying in our website updates (to go live imminently).

As for pixel-binning and variable resolution I would expect details at Photokina which will end speculation, but that's only a guess and not inside-information. Apart from this specific digital back I can tell you that the advantage of pixel-binning over just plain down-resing is 1) smaller raw file 2) lower noise 3) faster theoretical transfer times. Depending on where in the process they bin the pixels (e.g. before/after the AD conversion) I would expect the noise reduction (especially in shadows) and increase in apparent sharpness at 100% to be hefty. Only time will tell...

Doug Peterson
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio