The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P65+ info up.

fotografz

Full 645 @ 60 Meg !!!

Not only is this a potential assult on my bank account ... not having one makes my wanker feel smaller ... :ROTFL:

LJL

......they sure feel cheap though....
Yair,
Please, if you could, explain a bit more about your comment, as I am not understanding what you are inferring. By "cheap" are you suggesting that the prices are very low (hardly seems the case with some of these 50-60MP backs, Hartblei lenses, etc., being discussed)? or that the quality is poor compared to the price? or that the offerings are repurposed gear with marginal updates or changes? or that the devices are afterthoughts, rather than good design?

Not trying to make a debate, just trying to understand your comment about the "cheap appetizers". If that suggests that Leaf has some new line-up of things that overtops everything else out there, that would be very interesting to learn about at this point.

LJ

yaya

Yair,
Please, if you could, explain a bit more about your comment, as I am not understanding what you are inferring. By "cheap" are you suggesting that the prices are very low (hardly seems the case with some of these 50-60MP backs, Hartblei lenses, etc., being discussed)? or that the quality is poor compared to the price? or that the offerings are repurposed gear with marginal updates or changes? or that the devices are afterthoughts, rather than good design?

Not trying to make a debate, just trying to understand your comment about the "cheap appetizers". If that suggests that Leaf has some new line-up of things that overtops everything else out there, that would be very interesting to learn about at this point.

LJ
I think that many people, when buying a new car (I know...cars are an awful analogy...) of the same make they had before, wouldn't just buy the same car they drove for 3-4 years, only with a bigger engine in it...

They may have liked the old car but they would normally want a new one with some creature comforts in it, safety features and so on...Especially when paying a premium for it...

Sure we have some new stuff coming though no point in talking about it this early

Yair

LJL

I think that many people, when buying a new car (I know...cars are an awful analogy...) of the same make they had before, wouldn't just buy the same car they drove for 3-4 years, only with a bigger engine in it...

They may have liked the old car but they would normally want a new one with some creature comforts in it, safety features and so on...Especially when paying a premium for it...

Sure we have some new stuff coming though no point in talking about it this early

Yair
O.K.....fair enough. I agree that many do get onto the upgrade treadmill without considering alternatives sometimes. Problem is that since most of the gear is not fully cross compatible, or requires so many devices and compromises, changing "cars" at a new model is not easy, practical or inexpensive. I would love to see some truly interesting innovations, coupled with more flexibility of use, and at prices that would make adding new and different pieces to the kit less financially stressful. :thumbup:

LJ

harmsr

Workshop Member
I have to say that what I really want SOOOOO MUUUCCCCHHHH MORE than a new sensor and back, is a body with better auto focus, image stabilization, less mirror slap, brighter view finder, a good LCD for image review on the back, faster shooting, dual CF cards, etc..... (IN OTHER WORDS, PLEASE GIVE ME A NIKON D3 TYPE BODY FOR MEDIUM FORMAT!!!!!!!!!)

How do we get this message across to the medium format companies??????

woodyspedden

Ray

Probably the only way to really get this message across is to stop buying what they are currently selling (especially at these prices) and talk long and hard to your dealer so he gets the message to Hassy, Sinar Phase et al.

The only thing in the favor of the MF body makers is that their body itself is cheaper than say a D3 (of course the D3 sensor is included in the price.) Or perhaps a better comparison would be to the Canon 1DsMkIII. Then you have a 35mm FF sensor at 22 Mpx and it sells for $7900. You can get a Hassy 16Mpx anniversary package including the 503, 40 CFE IF and the CFV back for $12,995. Deduct the $5800 which is the list price of the 40 CFE IF and you have $7200 for the equivalent price to the Canon. Pretty darned competitive I would say.

However this doesn't dispute your point about features needed to make the MF bodies more competitive. Sadly none of these MF bodies (and most of the lenses) are rugged enough, weather proofed enough etc to be view truly as a field camera. And since I bought my H3DII-39 to do primarily landscapes this is a problem! I would like to have all the features you describe very much but I can usually work around them. I can do a mirror up or reset the shutter delay to get rid of vibration from the honkin slap of that big gorilla. But if it is raining, I am out of luck unless I want to take high risk with a $31K back! LOL

So I am with you and will make sure I talk to Steve hendrix about our concerns so he gets the messages to Hasselblad. Personally my number one priority after weather sealing is a focal plane shutter body for the H series. That would give me access to a bunch of lenses that i now can't use e.g. the wonderful Hassy 110 2.0. I use this lens on my Nikons with a novoflex adapter and man it may be the best portrait lens ever. Right up there with the C/Y 85 1.2, the Leica 180 2.0 etc.

Just my thoughts

Woody

harmsr

Workshop Member
Woody,

Agreed on all points.

Your last point about the focal plane shutter is why I have two systems now. One Phase/Mamiya and one Hassy.

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Ray,
You have a great set-up to cover most needs. The P30+ will handle the lower light and focal plane needs for shooting, and your H3DII-39 can manage anything you may run into needing more res or higher flash syncs. Not sure what else you could need.
LJ

I know, and am actually really happy in most respects with my two systems and how they address the different uses.

Best,

Ray

PeterA

I agree- and have said this a few times now - they can all stick their ever larger megapixel count and ever smaller pixel sizes where the sun doesnt shine..because that is all they are good for..

I would love to see some DSLR technology in the bodies too. However I have one question - my H3D11-39 has a very bright viewfinder - much better than aanything from Canon Nikon or Leica..dont know why you think that it needs improvement.

I thought I was going to go Phase P25+ for my second back - but I am weighing it up against the Hasselblad system you mention Woody. So I am now doing my own homework comparing the sensors -I want what I call FAT BOY pixels more than lots of skinnyboy megapixels.

harmsr

Workshop Member
However I have one question - my H3D11-39 has a very bright viewfinder - much better than aanything from Canon Nikon or Leica..dont know why you think that it needs improvement.
Peter,

I 100% agree with you on the Hassy finder. That comment was actually directed against my Mamiya AFDII loaner body, which is not even close to the brightness and clarity of the H3DII camera.

Best,

Ray

lance_schad

Workshop Member
LOLOL! But one also needs to know what that diagonal signifies :D Many may not be aware it is how the "normal" focal length for any given format is determined. Ironic perhapas too that I just this morning put together an Excel spreadsheet that did all the calcs for me. I was actually a bit surprised at how little additional diagonal there was to the bigger frame -- just a skosh, about a 10% reduction in effective overall focal length...

:salute:,
Jack you could saved a bunch of time. Doug did one of these a while ago and just updated it for the new P65+ sensor. You plug a focal length in the field you would like to use an a reference ie: 14mm under the 35mm column and it will populate all the popular film and ccd formats with the corresponding focal length.

http://www.captureintegration.com/w...tegration_focallengthequivalentcalculator.xls

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
[email protected]

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

I am a tourist in this forum, usually found loitering in the M forum but saw this thread and was quite stunned at the specs this back.

Out of interest, are the lenses able to resolve enough to take full advantage of this sensor? What sort of level can this reach do you think?