The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I knew Wired would get first crack at this so thought I would show there review. Enjoy

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/05/phase-one-iq180
You beat me to it Guy, looks like the IQ is crossing over to the mainstream!

But come on the reviewer took it to easter dinner? A little overkill don't you think? He did not even mention that he used Sensor+.

Anyway happy Phase One is getting coverage outside the photo world.

Lance

Graham Mitchell

Much as I admire the IQ backs, Wired is not exactly a source I would take seriously. I find it slightly odd/amusing that Phase emailed everyone about that review. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nor would any of us but it has a huge distribution and affluent readers. Word of the day and you guessed it MARKETING

etrigan63

He said it was a production back. I would hazard that it was a gamma-level back, not beta-level like the ones we've been shown. He did not mention Sensor+ though someone in the comments referred to it as "some special pixel mojo". I posted a reply with a link to my article explaining the technology (awaiting moderation). There was also a lot of whining about lack of sample images (the author posted zero) to which I provided a link to some of mine (awaiting moderation) and some trolls (morons) complaining about the lack of video capabilities.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Was this a preproduction back? Concerned about the battery life comment at the end ...
Here is my take on that Wayne and maybe a guess as well. Obviously I think most folks are used to battery life on DSLR's which put out maybe 800 frames per charge and Wired is not really a photo reviewing team per say. We MF users know we will never see that in a back configuration and are more used to the 200 to 300 shots and than replace. Lets also consider huge new processor in these IQ backs and the need to push huge 80 mpx data around. Honestly I am not counting on these being better than our P backs or maybe not even equal to it. Until it's really tested in the field i'm pretty much resigning to the fact we will need extra batteries . Maybe not a popular thing to say but I'm sure there will be a compromise here on the battery life. Lets keep out fingers crossed here that it is not worse than today. I think all of us would take a equal amount in a heartbeat. I think what needs to be developed is simply better batteries in the same config.

Lets also remember these batteries are not very big to say even Hassy's grip battery or leica's S2 battery so they will be limited by size and output.

kdphotography

Don and I just had the same conversation about the IQ battery-life, Guy. Perhaps a higher capacity battery could be the answer to keep power levels similar to the P40+/P65+.

Power requirements of the new IQ processors aside, I do hope Steve over at CI realistically tests the battery life with a lot of chimping with that big IQ180 screen---how can you not use that screen when it's just begging for it? That's gotta take more power in actual use....

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Here is my take on that Wayne and maybe a guess as well. Obviously I think most folks are used to battery life on DSLR's which put out maybe 800 frames per charge and Wired is not really a photo reviewing team per say. We MF users know we will never see that in a back configuration and are more used to the 200 to 300 shots and than replace. Lets also consider huge new processor in these IQ backs and the need to push huge 80 mpx data around. Honestly I am not counting on these being better than our P backs or maybe not even equal to it. Until it's really tested in the field i'm pretty much resigning to the fact we will need extra batteries . Maybe not a popular thing to say but I'm sure there will be a compromise here on the battery life. Lets keep out fingers crossed here that it is not worse than today. I think all of us would take a equal amount in a heartbeat. I think what needs to be developed is simply better batteries in the same config.

Lets also remember these batteries are not very big to say even Hassy's grip battery or leica's S2 battery so they will be limited by size and output.
Some good points ... obviously the reviewer had no frame of reference since he probably hasn't ever used a p65+. So jury is still out. I have no problem with batteries lasting a little less longer than my p65+ ... I'm sure I'll be using the display far more than I do now especially on my tech camera. Just hope it's still decent.

narikin

Was this a preproduction back? Concerned about the battery life comment at the end ...
He obviously had it on Zero Latency for some bizarre reason.

completely pointless review for ProPhotographers - tells you nothing.
well done Phase for prioritizing this nonsense over shipping to your loyal customers.

JSK Rangefinder

Much as I admire the IQ backs, Wired is not exactly a source I would take seriously. I find it slightly odd/amusing that Phase emailed everyone about that review. :)

Should the next stop be Robb Reports :p thats what ALPA did indirectly or directly some years ago.. and I'm sure it didn't work wonders but it paints the layers who's on the top..

Personally I know number of people (non Photographers) who casually purchased ALPA cameras because they enjoy the method with usually Phase One on it.. on the other hand, I never seen CAMBO/SILVESTRI/etc. in non professional hands..

So I guess spreading word in other fields is attractive.. since outside
photo-community market does exist..

cng

That wasn't a review, it was more like a blog post: Wow, EIGHTY megapixels. Badass. Better tell all my friends. Big files, weak batteries. Wow, EIGHTY megapixels. Did I tell you it has EIGHTY megapixels? Badass, sickest thing ever.

Good on Phase for getting their product seen outside of the photography world though.

Let's face it, all reviews are just glorified marketing (nothing wrong with that) and next to useless for anyone who really wants to use the gear. All the crucial small details that we want to know are mainly discovered either by testing, on forums like this one and/or with the help of our dealers. Even the reviews in the so-called "real" photography magazines like BJP, PDN etc are pretty fluffy. There's just not enough time or space to write anything substantive for these types of products.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
He obviously had it on Zero Latency for some bizarre reason.

completely pointless review for ProPhotographers - tells you nothing.
well done Phase for prioritizing this nonsense over shipping to your loyal customers.
Actually could be these guys were the last ones ... Could be they got a demo back recently after everyone else.

vieri

Not quite, he did point out that "the motor drive isn’t as fast as my 35mm".
Wow - definitely we needed this guy to tell us THAT :ROTFL: very insightful indeed!

Seriously, good for Phase to get the technology out there, and - if they start sell IQ180s in the million units we may be able to be all going to get it cheaper, so... go for it guys! :D