The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backup for H3Dii-31

Dolce Moda

I recently sold my 1dsmkiii and lenses to make way for my H.

The H does all my studio chores but I am looking for something less bulky for available light location work.

I was initially considering the 5D mkii but all things considered ... I don't know if I want another Canon.
I was thinking of the Nikon D700 ... because I want something good at available light with good autofocus.

After some research I started hearing good things about the Nikon D7000. Sure it is a crop... but it is recent technology and shoots video too.

Any thoughts? Any cameras I am overlooking?

I have also entertained the thought of the Leica M (film or digital) after seeing so amazing Leica film shots on Flickr.

I would be shooting available light fashion editorial with this camera

Thanks in advance
:thumbup:

Dustbak

I use the D700. Even with the D7000 I would probably still use the D700. The combination of the H4 and the FF D700 I find ideal. I must say I also use the new 1.4 primes on it which basically gives you a 'nightvision' camera :) (I hardly use the zooms with the exception of the VR16-35 which is ideal for doing quick interior work).

The reason why I would prefer the D700 is that the moment I use it light conditions often are challenging. In that case I want to use something that works and delivers under these circumstances.

I also like the small package the D700 comes in. I think many people will be unloading their D700's the coming months in anticipation of the D800 announcement which is rumored to be announced in August (though another rumor now that it might be postponed to October).

cng

I use the D700.
+1. I love my D700. Great form factor – small but solid. I think of the D700 as a digital version of the F100 (I loved my F100 but of course it's now been sitting neglected for years). The meter on the D700 is the best in-camera meter I have ever used, period. I cannot get a bad exposure out of the camera, except in some backlit situations where I usually just dial in +0.7 and it's all sorted. I love the files out of the D700. Don't be fooled that it's "only" 12MP, the files are great. Granted I don't push the camera to it's limits ISO-wise, with maximum ISO for me usually being around 800-1200.

I own a comprehensive set of Nikon glass but for the last few years all I've used is the 35mm f2 and 85mm f1.8, sometimes the 50mm f1.8. I only shoot these lenses wide open and haven't had a problem with any of them quality-wise.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the newer f1.4 or f1.8 AF-S versions of these focal lengths and selling all my other glass.

I think many people will be unloading their D700's the coming months in anticipation of the D800 announcement which is rumored to be announced in August (though another rumor now that it might be postponed to October).
Ah, the old D700 replacement rumours. They've been making the rounds for years (literally). Although it's been so long now that it's more than likely the replacement is actually on it's way. Not a dig at Dustbak, it's just that I could never understand why there was so much call for a replacement D700 soon after it was released and for so long, despite the camera being so good.

Dustbak

None taken :)

Even when there will be a replacement, the D700 will still be used by me. I just know many people are or will be selling in advance. In other words a great opportunity to pick one up for a great price which was why I was mentioning this ;)

Last edited:

djonesii

Workshop Member
About a year or so ago, I decided that my full frame camera would be a Mamiya + ZD back. I just ordered a refurb P30+, so no longer full frame, but pretty big!.

For what I shoot in the studio, the ZD was my primary, and the D300 secondary. Shot about 60% ZD and 40% Nikon. For "serious" things that I did out in the field, The D300 was the primary, and for casual stuff a micro 4/3rd or my RD1.

My D300 ended up getting dropped, and due to the way that I work in the studio with the ZD, I just could not be without a dSLR, hoping this changes with the P30+, and I can shoot 100% MF in the studio. Natural light and buffer depth just kill the ZD. So, I got a D7000. Much better low light than the D300, smaller body, yet still rugged, and 16mpix. Really good low light performance, and very nice DR. Plus, under 1/2 the price of a D700.

Any how, for the diversity of what I like to shoot, a crop body is just better, like the way that my 120-300 + TC acts like a 900 keeping the same pixel density. Really cool for the bit of birding and sports that I do. The D700/D3s/D3x are excellent camera, but not MFDB good. Even the ZD was holding its own.

The crop sensors are just so good, and have other benefits that I chose to use them as second cameras in studio, and primary tools for certain kinds of outdoor work. If I were a landscape shooter, my conclusions might be different.

As a last comment, I just upgraded to the 24-70 2.8 nikon, and it is an excellent lens, I think it would make a D whatever look great!

Yeah, the D300 has been being replaced for years too!

JMHO, YMMV

Dave

Dolce Moda

The problem with both the 5Dmkii and the D700 is that they are both at the end of their product lifecycle. They both could be discontinued within a couple months... yet they both command a fairly steep price.

Maybe the interim solution is to rent until the dust settles. High ISO and video are my priorities.

Dustbak

Sure, but consider this.

Both are not that expensive. Several paid jobs and they have paid for themselves. The cameras will not make images of lesser quality after the announcement of their successors. After the announcement of the successors it will probably take a while before you can get it and you will certainly pay premium if you are amongst the first. I think it will definitely take more than a year from now before you can get those for a 'normal' price.

You could be using a 5DMkII or D700 tomorrow making you money!

Anyway, as mentioned. Some people already are selling their D700's in advance.

cng

The cameras will not make images of lesser quality after the announcement of their successors. After the announcement of the successors it will probably take a while before you can get it and you will certainly pay premium if you are amongst the first. I think it will definitely take more than a year from now before you can get those for a 'normal' price.

You could be using a 5DMkII or D700 tomorrow making you money!
All very true. If I had put any faith in the D700 replacement rumours I would still be camera-less 10 months(!) later. I'd also seen internet rumours and mock-ups of a replacement at least a year before then. However, as I said, it's now more likely than not that the D700 replacement is on it's way. Then again ... the effects of the recent disasters in Japan are still reverberating across supply chains around the world. Who knows what the likely delivery date and production quantities will be like for this long-awaited, long-rumoured, currently non-existent camera?

Admittedly, the main reason that people seem to covet the replacement D700 seems to be the assumption that it will have great IQ like the D700, more MP and video to kill the 5DII. If this sounds like what you want, then by all means wait and see. But the bottom line is that no-one really knows what this camera will look like or when it will be available.

Some people already are selling their D700's in advance.
Also don't forget that Nikon loves to give rebates on outgoing models. Funnily enough there was a rebate being offered for my D700 when I bought it.

Dolce Moda

What you guys are saying makes a lot of sense...especially with Japan quake.
I am goin to rent the D700 and D7K and compare them. Fortunately, I am currently in NYC where both are available for rental.