The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 90HR-W and Schneider 120N

gazwas

Can anyone with experience of these two lenses make any comments as to their performance on a P65+.

I've had the 120N on order since the beginning of Feb and still no word on when it will ever arrive. :( I need a longer focal length lens for the product/lifestyle packaging work I do and have started to look at alternatives as I'm getting sick of waiting. I know the 90HR is quite a bit shorter but its available to buy and still a nice normal length lens for the work I do and can eventually supplement it with something like a 150 if need arrises in the future.

I believe the 120N is a super sharp little lens with a big image circle but wondered how the 90HR compares as I know its a slightly newer (although a rebadged Apo Sironar) but its double the price of the Schneider.

Worth waiting longer for the Schneider or cut my losses and go for the Rodenstock?

Christopher

90HW-W

in short:
amazing

long:
sharp, large image circle, a little dist. easily fixed in post, sharp wide open compared to schneider

only negative comment I can make is that is isn't the smallest lens.

timwier

I have both the Rodie 90HR-W and several Digitars I use with a P45+. The Rodie is bigger, sharper, has better color/contrast and does a much better job in the shadows.

I remember being able to read a car license plate on a car that I could not even see in the picture (without cropping it 100%). It just made me shake my head when I saw it.

Enjoy,

gazwas

I have both the Rodie 90HR-W and several Digitars I use with a P45+. The Rodie is bigger, sharper, has better color/contrast and does a much better job in the shadows.

I remember being able to read a car license plate on a car that I could not even see in the picture (without cropping it 100%). It just made me shake my head when I saw it.

Enjoy,
Thanks for the reply. I was literally just about to pick the phone up and order the 90HR and my dealer rang me to say the 120N had arrived so I saved myself £450. Lens arrived today and I can't believe how small the SK is. Seems like a really nice sharp lens. Sharpest at f8 but I'm most impressed how little light fall off and colour shifts there are, especially compared the 43XL.

20mm movements are a breeze with virtually no LCC needed (fall off only) and distortion is very low. I'm sure the 90HR is a sharper lens as its more complex design but the 120N is still a cracker.

I've heard a few people mention RS have better colour then SK so what do you notice the difference to be? More accurate or just personally more pleasing?