The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Media Pro is Released

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have Expressions Media, post-MSFT. The test app I just downloaded does open my LX-5 RAW files, which the previous would not, but it will not display in Thumbnail view many hundreds of images in all kinds of formats which even the old one would display. Double clicking the blank image results in "Rendering Image", and you do get to see it "full-size", but it still won't then show up in Thumbnails. JPEG Rotate command doesn't rotate the jpegs any better/more reliably than E.M. did. I don't see any reason to consider an upgrade or continuing trying to use this, especially for a $59 fee.
That first post-MSFT release was a very minor update to provide some basic new functionality, some very basic integration with C1, and provide users a place to download the software (since MSFT was presumably going to pull it off their site after the sale).

Do you have Capture One selected as your rendering engine? [Media Pro > Preferences > Media Rendering > Raw]

If it's not that and you're not in a big rush you can always wait a month or two for any (inevitable with any company) bugs that are associated with X.0 releases.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Well, i use LR and C1 and so far I have seen nothing to switch. In my eyes LR has the much better output options. Especially printing and web galleries. Second thing is that it looks like there is not much more comunication going on between c1 and media pro than between c1 and lightroom.
- Full metadata interchange (without needing to process) [both directions]
- Being able to view your raws with their C1 adjustments (without needing to process)

This is a significantly higher level of communication than LR and C1 which essentially do not talk to each other whatsoever at the raw level. If 100% of your cataloging needs are going to be processed files, and you don't need to view/compare/edit raw files from different sessions at the same time then LR will do just as well.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Major failings for me so far with just limited research is noting is done automatically and assumes the user do everything. After capture you even need to send (?) the images to the media pro catalogue and after making any further adjustments in C1 you have to select the thumbnail in media pro to manually update the changes to the thumbnail. It doesn't even see varients properly which I use all the time.
You can set a watch folder to import automatically.

Variants is a (significant) limitation for the moment. I'm sure more will come there soon.

Another big issue for me also is it doesn't make use of the session structure that C1 users are so used to organising their shoots with. It just clumps the images in one big catalogue and relies on the users keywording.
Yes it does, under the folder organization simply browse to the relevant shoot folder and there will be your expected raw/select/output/trash folders.

Browsing by other organization methods (e.g. date / keyword / location etc) is simply a different way to view your catalog.

ustein

Contributing Editor
At a bad start. I installed the software and had it hanging after about 2 minutes. Now the catalog I created is empty.

Any idea how I get some sort of folder view?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm puzzled. I've got Media Pro working fine but it only displays my RAW files without the edits I've made in C1.

I've consulted Help - but it doesn't! Anyone know how to display the files as they appear in C1 - i.e. with the edits made in C1?

J

JAllen

Bill
Select Action from the menues and click on rebuild Item or use the shortcut command trl B.

This should work.

JAllen

benton1

Copenhagen, May 10, 2011 -- Phase One...

More camera support
Raw files from more than 100 new camera models are supported, including raw image and video support for Canon, Nikon and other popular pro and semi-pro digital cameras.
Did anybody find the list of the supported cameras?

Best Regards

Marcus

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Did anybody find the list of the supported cameras?
If using the Capture One rendering engine then it's the same as Capture One. They are listed in the release notes here:
http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/CaptureOne.aspx

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

G

Googaliser

I find this all rather interesting. having used LR to catalog and CS 4 and then CS5 for post processing. Two months ago I purchased C1 and have cleaned my drives at the same time. Nothing is stored in LR anymore, and I visit CS5 on rare occasions.

Capture One continues to blow me away, in the easiness of use, post processing is a dream now. I will look at MP to see if it will meet my catalog needs. My biggest issue is remote hard drives that I use to backup, and if MP makes that easier I will be spending the money...

I have to say in the past two months of learning my Phase One P40+the only criticism I have is the absolutely terrible production quality of my V-Grip. It does not fit seamlessly with the camera body and always wants to be loose. Phase One should replace every one that they sold. They should also have two holes in the bottom of the grip where the mount plate is for tri-pods, currently my camera wants to swing around because of the lack of a solid mount.

Aside from that apparent waste of $1200 I am happy with this new world, and I am loving my images. Last week I took out one of my Nikons for the first time since the Phase One entered my life. That was a long hiatus for me.
Vincent: It appears you have a clone (me) in a parallel dimension. Identical experiences & time frame.

G

Googaliser

May I ask a really dumb question ? Other than convert to TIFF and export (destructive) - is there any way of migrating out of lightroom (c. 100K captures) into MP yet keep things in RAW with my LR adjustments as an overlay ?
How does a longterm LR user effect such a transition without having to run LR for legacy and MP for new ?
M

J

JAllen

On the other hand for those of us who have an extensive catalog in Microsoft Expression Media 2 is there anyway to import the EM2 catalog to Media Pro? It took a long time to build up my EM2 catalog and now it looks like there is no way to import the old EM2 catalog. Or maybe a conversion routine?

JAllen

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
May I ask a really dumb question ? Other than convert to TIFF and export (destructive) - is there any way of migrating out of lightroom (c. 100K captures) into MP yet keep things in RAW with my LR adjustments as an overlay ?
How does a longterm LR user effect such a transition without having to run LR for legacy and MP for new ?
M
Not a dumb question at all.

All raw processors use proprietary math to effect their conversions. No raw processor can translate it's adjustments to any other raw processor's proprietary math. Your only choice to lose all your adjustments, or process all your raws to matching TIFFs.

Thats why EIP is so very very exciting. The raw file remains completely raw, it requires no processing, yet a preview the ADJUSTED image is embedded (and always up to date) in the EIP file. So other programs, including the finder, file browsers, and Media Pro can organize/edit/sort through the adjusted images. If you want a TIFF or JPG from that file you'd still have to use Capture One (you can use LR, Aperture etc but you'd be starting from scratch without any adjustments), but at least you can maintain a catalog based on previews of the C1-adjusted image.

In addition EIP allows you to keep your adjustments within the EIP file (without making any destructive change to the raw file itself which is maintained - unchanged - inside the EIP container). By doing so the file is completely portable without the need for an export command or a central database of those adjustments.

Maybe one more reason for you to consider C1 over LR for your raw processing :). Phase One has always held Openness and Flexibility as core values.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

gazwas

In addition EIP allows you to keep your adjustments within the EIP file (without making any destructive change to the raw file itself which is maintained - unchanged - inside the EIP container). By doing so the file is completely portable without the need for an export command or a central database of those adjustments.
Doug, I'm not upto speed on the EIP format but is my understanding correct that you have to unpack an EIP file back to IIQ to adjust them and than pack them to EIP again after adjustments?

Also if you use EIP in Media Pro do the catalogue thumbnails update automatically or do you still need a watch folder/rebuild the catalogue?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, I'm not upto speed on the EIP format but is my understanding correct that you have to unpack an EIP file back to IIQ to adjust them and than pack them to EIP again after adjustments?
Nope. It works in C1 just like it was an IIQ. If I showed you a folder of images in C1 and they were all EIP you wouldn't notice unless you happened to look at the file extensions in the name of the images in the browser.

It's completely transparent to the user.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2009/04/02/so-what-the-heck-is-eip/

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Also if you use EIP in Media Pro do the catalogue thumbnails update automatically or do you still need a watch folder/rebuild the catalogue?
I'm on a plane and this one will take me longer to reply in full than I have right now. Will get back to you.

baxter

EIP is supported as is sidecar-based C1 adjustments. I'd prefer/recommend EIP as that's a cleaner workflow in general.

EIP also, as of Capture One 6.2 embeds an adjusted preview image in the file so that both the finder, browsers, and Media Pro will see the adjusted image without having to render it. That's unique to Capture One (a raw file which remains raw but shows in all previews with any C1 adjustments).
Thanks Doug - much appreciated

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Does anyone know a way to get Media Pro to show thumbnails of .dng files?

A few years ago I made the mistake of converting most of my raw files to .dng. Although they show up as thumbnails in LR, Finder and any other graphics program, they don't show up in Media Pro. (Though my M9 .dng files do!)

If I click on List, they show as file numbers. If I click on Media, they show up at full screen - but if I click on Thumbnails, all I get is a small blank box with the file number under it.

Obviously I can't keyword files I can't see!

Anybody have any solutions?

Bill