The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Reality

G

Garcia

Really sexy indeed.

My heart is split in two by Rm3di and Artec, been Alpa STC the third in discord. :rolleyes:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Word is they are in assembly now and shipping HOPEFULLY this week. That is the word Rod is getting right now. Many backorders on them so look like a very popular item. Looks like good news

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Indeed we do! A question Jack, I am wondering if the current Phase lenses are really able to deliver enough detail to the back's 80 MP, do you have an opinion already - or at least a feeling about it?
From what I've seen, the best Phase lenses are more than up to the task. I've heard (cannot confirm) that Phase engineers have tested them, and feel the limit will be when pixel pitch gets down to where FF MF is around 110MP. So yes, we are pretty close to that limit now at 80MP.

Moreover, what you do see is less DoF when you look at 100% view. IOW, the smaller pixels at 100% view (a defacto smaller CoC) show the OOF regions sooner than fatter pixels.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Any full review on the IQ 180 ? In term of sharpness, 3D, contrast etc compare to P65+?

Thanks
It's coming in a few days -- watch for it. I can tell you though, that while there is a gain in all of those facets of the file, it is relative small --- call it about the same delta on those same traits when we moved from the P45+ to the P65+. IOW the differences are there and visible to those that know what to look for, but the average Joe may not see what you do.

FWIW, macro contrast is actually lower since DR is higher -- you have to get in the habit of adding black to most outdoor images! Micro-contrast is a tougher call -- the detail is still in the smaller individual pixels, so theoretically it's there. But the gains here are getting small enough my gut says it may not render in a print --- won't know until I print though!!!

mvirtue

Mark, Vieri --

I can assure you I am blown away myself, and I've only just begun exploring this new tool! What is clear already is that we have some seriously increased file capabilities...
LALALALALALA!!!!! I can't hear you. LALALALALA!!!!!

On an ROI basis I could never justify it. But I am drooling and will have to live vicariously through others till this generation of back makes it to the refurb/used market.

vieri

From what I've seen, the best Phase lenses are more than up to the task. I've heard (cannot confirm) that Phase engineers have tested them, and feel the limit will be when pixel pitch gets down to where FF MF is around 110MP. So yes, we are pretty close to that limit now at 80MP.

Moreover, what you do see is less DoF when you look at 100% view. IOW, the smaller pixels at 100% view (a defacto smaller CoC) show the OOF regions sooner than fatter pixels.
Thanks Jack, that's great to know - so, I guess it's safe to assume that at least all the newer, digital Rodenstock & Schneider for tech cameras will be up to the task as well :D

Good catch on the DoF, Jack - makes sense. :D

...I am getting closer to go to the bank on this one! Like I didn't already know that... :deadhorse:

Guy Mancuso

Decided it's a IQ at least the 140. If I can dithering 160 I would be all that much better but I will continue to deal with the crop if I have too. I shoot a model tonight so the real proof will be shooting live.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Here is the other bottom line. Today and for the last year or so owning the P40+ i have never missed shots because the back did not give me the data I needed to start with. I have always nailed every situation and shoot. Its not like I absolutely need the tech at all, i'm to damn good a photographer to start with and no tech is REALLY going to help me. I say that in all honesty not modesty
Guy, while I am not in the same league as you I do agree that, for me, the data I get from the current backs has not kept me from capturing images. However, if the new tech provides a much improved screen that would be a HUGE plus because I find I am often fighting with the LCD screen, especially in daylight. I do not make decisions from what I see visually (the image) on the screen but mostly from the data (histo, etc.). It would be nice if I could confirm what I see on the screen with the data. So, in that regard the new tech would be great.

jlm

Workshop Member
so, Jack, when you print, won't that be the dynamic range limiting factor? as it always was for B/W darkroom work.

be interesting to see how that works out

Guy Mancuso

Guy, while I am not in the same league as you I do agree that, for me, the data I get from the current backs has not kept me from capturing images. However, if the new tech provides a much improved screen that would be a HUGE plus because I find I am often fighting with the LCD screen, especially in daylight. I do not make decisions from what I see visually (the image) on the screen but mostly from the data (histo, etc.). It would be nice if I could confirm what I see on the screen with the data. So, in that regard the new tech would be great.
The key here is confirming everything is accurate on screen. That's where the beauty lies.

Guy Mancuso

Yesterday I even had a hard time shooting at f6.3 with a 110mm eventethered since the model was holding a radio that was the focus point and working fast even tethered I would miss because it was slow to confirm all the time while I was shooting. The focus mask would tell me right the camera without going to computer. So without a tech monitoring what I was doing on hand it was difficult. But with focus mask I can tell right from where i am with focus mask. Now it takes a few seconds but maybe with the smaller backs faster. Also with firmware it will get even faster but it really is not slow so don't misunderstand me. I have zero patience too. Also Ian going to move to faster Cf cards like the extreme pros. I have extremes in the 180 today

yaya

I'm sitting right next to the US Arca Swiss Rep we shot the new 28mm and 43mm lenses this morning on the IQ180 together
You can tell Rod that the Rm2D is my favourite walkabout Camera, but only if it's got an Aptus-II 12 attached to it:)

A small selection from my "Berlin in 5 hours" tour today...

Note that NO LCC was required (can't tell you why...just yet...)

Berlin today

Terry

Guy -
Not to give you a totally cold shower but I thought we had a whole thread on getting a the focus screen etched to create a mask for the crop factor on the "40" backs. Surely this is a lot cheaper than the other alternatives.....

Last edited: