The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Reality

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
That's it: I'm not getting one! (referring to the "shadow noise" in Jack's image!)

LOL!!!

That's incredible.

Guy, what's the approximate difference in price between the 160 and the 180? The 160 does seem like the more practical alternative.

Cheers and good luck.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Since Guy has already rated me out I figure I'll add a few comments.

I never felt a crop using the P45+ until this morning. Using my Cambo WRS I shot a couple sample images first with my P45+ then switched to the IQ180. (That was early this morning and I haven't see the IQ since as Guy keeps it cradled in his lap since then).

The physical size difference of the LCD is great as is the image quality. As Guy has already mention the focus mask is worth the price of admission.

This back is friking assume!

Don

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
so, Jack, when you print, won't that be the dynamic range limiting factor? as it always was for B/W darkroom work.

be interesting to see how that works out
Certainly getting it ALL into a print at the same time can be a challenge John! The reality is we're not talking a huge amount more DR over what we had in the P65+, maybe another 1/2 stop (guesstimating), so the processing isn't that much more intensive. What is different is how often you need to add black to get the look you want, or at least the look you are used to! More to the point, the tools in C1 allow you to hold back highlights while pumping shadows pretty darn well if that's what you want to do, and the new files just give us a little more data to work with there.

jonoslack

iPhone sorry for mispells
:)
This is just too ****ing logical and scaring me. Back to dreaming. LOL

Taking donations for a shrink. :wtf:
Stop A8sing around Guy - you know the 180 is the right answer, and it won't be cheaper to do an intermediate upgrade. Just go the whole hog, bite the bullet, Faint heart and all that - it's the 180 for you, I can feel it in my water :ROTFL:

all the very best

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Guy, if money's a bit tight, go with the 160—I assume there will be an upgrade path from the 160 if you decided you had to have it. The 160 is FF, has the new screen and interface, just a few less pixels.

gogopix

Subscriber
Hmmm,
I am about 20% considering whether to cancel my 180 and get out of MF altogether, at which point I'll be selling the p65+ at a very good price if to someone I know and trust (that's you, Guy!) and also a DF body, Phase 80 and 28mm lenses and Schneider 110 ls, cambo wide rs with Schneider 35 xl.

The only thing I'd keep is the cube...

Hmmmm...
So, Tim, what are you going to ask for your place in line?:OT:

Victor

stephengilbert

The listed prices are $36990 for the 160, and $43990 for the 180.

These prices would be reduced if, for example, a P40+ were traded in.

PeterL

Trading in a P40+ gives you a 40% discount:

IQ180: $43990*0.6 = $26394
IQ160: $36990*0.6 = $22194
---------------------------------
Difference = $4200

Cheers, -Peter

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm guessing it's not so much the difference in price between the IQ180 & IQ160 that is the big hurdle but the difference in price between the IQ140 ($21,990) or a used P65+ and the IQ160/IQ180 backs. With a trade-in of a P40+ going to a IQ160 or IQ180 would be significantly more money than getting an IQ140 or used P65+.

PeterL

Yes, a lateral move does not make any sense (money wise):

IQ140: $21990*0.6 = $13194

Guy could sell his P40+ privately (~$12K) and buy the IQ140 outright for ~$22K (minus the discount his dealer will undoubtedly give him). And will probably be out less than $10K. But the lateral move of the P40+ to IQ140 is not priced right by Phase, IMHO.

Cheers, -Peter