The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Reality

Paratom

Guy,
if you buy that back with the bigger sensor, this makes your lenses wider (as you said) fov. Now if you wanted the same with the "old" back (you own now) you would have either to buy several new lenses, or an additional tech camera with several lenses.
So you save a lot of money if you buy just the new back.

So-if you buy the P65+back instead of the tech camera and all the lenses or wider lenses - then you save a lot of money.

The question is-for what you spend the money you save?
Some suggestions:
Leica M9 + 35/1.4
or a new motorcycle
or an S2 and a 70mm
of course you should share the luck with your family and buy a new I-Phone for your kids and a purse for your wife ;)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, thank you for your answer - all your points make sense of course, and except nr. 3 and partially nr. 2 they are all very personal to you and what your imagine-creating process is, so let me just play the devil's advocate for nr. 2 and 3.
Nr. 2: first of all, CONGRATS! I am very happy for you, well deserved.
thank you!

More into the point though, while is true that no customer really care about the gear you used, I am pretty sure that they all care about your images' IQ - so if you don't mind, I am very interested in a couple of more detailed points here, of course if you were willing to share this with us: first, what is the largest size you print your images at?
At the moment most of what I am selling is 21 x 14 inches but I go up to whatever I can fit on a 24" roll depending on aspect ratio.

Second, what kind of gear allows you to both feel free in your image-creating while at the same time providing you with the IQ you and your customers need? Or to put it differently, what gear are you instinctively reaching out to first when you go out?
It's the usual constant struggle to find kit that does everything and weighs nothing! In the end it depends on whether I am going out with or without an aim in mind. For strolls with the dog, currently alternating between Fuji x100 (really nice in some ways, truly pisses me off in others...) Nikon D7000 (which like many people I have a below acceptable hit rate for focus on, and for which they don't make a good enough mid range zoom) and an Oly Pen (often but not always good enough IQ). often the M9 too, if there are no rain clouds or muggers in sight.
Nr. 3: Agreed on the first part, I am pretty sure nobody loves LCC and we all would do without if at all possible - however, once you created your profiles for the different lenses that need them, it is a pretty straightforward process, just one more step in the digital workflow; as much as I don't like to hassle with them, to me personally LCC use wouldn't be enough of a reason to give up to the IQ that a tech cam with the P65+ and Rodenstock/Schneider lenses provides.
I find that every shot needs it's own LCC because, and I can't prove this, I think that the colour temperature of the light affects things as well as the aperture and shift. I had one version upgrade to C1 in which most of my LCCs went astray and that REALLY annoyed me, though I am sure it was my fault for deleting the LCC shots after I had made a calibration file from them! I fear it happening again.

Gear size and weight, of course that is a major concern; while the Phase kit is definitely too big and heavy, a tech camera with 3 lenses and a back is way smaller and comparable in size & weight to a DSLR, or even lighter. It is not comparable of course to a compact camera, or to a m4/3-based or M9-based system, so am I right in assuming that these are the solutions you are thinking about to replace MF?
I use the DF and the Cambo. I know many people get on fine with the DF but I find that it stinks of legacy, and can't wait for it to be replaced. The Cambo is light but it really does need all the dangly bits, LCC sheet (which never quite fits the bull bars), tripod, cube, etc.

I am not sure I know what to replace it with but my hunch is that the next generation of 1ds will, with a TS lens, finally cover all my bases other than the gorgeous DR and colour rendition of the Phase gear.

The last part of your Nr. 3 point is in fact the most interesting for me under a philosophical point of view, however IMO it is very difficult for me to define it as a "traditional MF landscape look": I'd rather describe it more generally as a "traditional landscape look", having seen it done by everyone with any kind of equipment. To me, what using a tech cam (or MF) does is forcing one to spend more time for each frame, more so for a tech cam of course; this is not related to achieving a particular look, 'cause obviously you can spend more time searching for all kinds of composition and looks: I'd see it more related to a spontaneous approach to shooting versus a more analytical one, if that makes sense, and of course here personal preferences and shooting styles are all that count.
I think that I am just not a good enough photographer here: by the time I have fought with all the setup and focus issues, all spontaneity and energy is gone from my work, which ends up being technically better than I have any right to expect but looking, well, dead.
Looking forward to hearing from you on the above, and thanks again for sharing your thoughts :D
Sorry those thoughts are so quirky, eccentric and inconsistent, as well as sounding whiney but that's really the way it has been for me more often than not. HOWEVER... I am so aware that the file quality I crave can't be met elsewhere and if the IQ series reduce the hassle, possibly even make me feel a tactile pleasure with the equipment, then I might finally make the leap to getting the results I want from this sort of gear. Jack's posts in this thread and the LuLa review are making me return to plan a, but I do think there's a fifty fifty chance that I'll get the 180, use it for a few weeks, realise that I'll never be an MF guy and sell the lot!

Grrrr: it's ME I'm annoyed with, not Phase!

vieri

thank you!

At the moment most of what I am selling is 21 x 14 inches but I go up to whatever I can fit on a 24" roll depending on aspect ratio.

It's the usual constant struggle to find kit that does everything and weighs nothing! In the end it depends on whether I am going out with or without an aim in mind. For strolls with the dog, currently alternating between Fuji x100 (really nice in some ways, truly pisses me off in others...) Nikon D7000 (which like many people I have a below acceptable hit rate for focus on, and for which they don't make a good enough mid range zoom) and an Oly Pen (often but not always good enough IQ). often the M9 too, if there are no rain clouds or muggers in sight.
I find that every shot needs it's own LCC because, and I can't prove this, I think that the colour temperature of the light affects things as well as the aperture and shift. I had one version upgrade to C1 in which most of my LCCs went astray and that REALLY annoyed me, though I am sure it was my fault for deleting the LCC shots after I had made a calibration file from them! I fear it happening again.

I use the DF and the Cambo. I know many people get on fine with the DF but I find that it stinks of legacy, and can't wait for it to be replaced. The Cambo is light but it really does need all the dangly bits, LCC sheet (which never quite fits the bull bars), tripod, cube, etc.

I am not sure I know what to replace it with but my hunch is that the next generation of 1ds will, with a TS lens, finally cover all my bases other than the gorgeous DR and colour rendition of the Phase gear.

I think that I am just not a good enough photographer here: by the time I have fought with all the setup and focus issues, all spontaneity and energy is gone from my work, which ends up being technically better than I have any right to expect but looking, well, dead.

Sorry those thoughts are so quirky, eccentric and inconsistent, as well as sounding whiney but that's really the way it has been for me more often than not. HOWEVER... I am so aware that the file quality I crave can't be met elsewhere and if the IQ series reduce the hassle, possibly even make me feel a tactile pleasure with the equipment, then I might finally make the leap to getting the results I want from this sort of gear. Jack's posts in this thread and the LuLa review are making me return to plan a, but I do think there's a fifty fifty chance that I'll get the 180, use it for a few weeks, realise that I'll never be an MF guy and sell the lot!

Grrrr: it's ME I'm annoyed with, not Phase!
Hello again Tim! Starting from the end, don't worry about it, I am in a very similar frame of mind at the moment and I understand you far too well :D

I don't want to hijack the thread, but then again maybe sharing different people's situations is going to help us all, so here it comes...

As many here, I do shoot quite a bit of different stuff, but mostly it could be summed up as:

- Architecture/Landscape
- Concert/Stage
- Street/PJ style
- Studio/Portraits/Promo stuff

To do so, I am currently owning and maintaining way too much gear, I use:

- Linhof Techno, 28, 47, 90, 180;
- Nikon D3, 16 fisheye, 17-35, 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.4, 70-200, 17-TC;
- Leica M9 & M6, 21, 35 lux, 50 nocti, 90 f2.8, 135 f4;
- Phase One DF, 28, 55, 80, 150

plus a GF1 with 7-14, 14 f2.5, 20 f1.7, 45-200 & leica M adapter as a backup and/or "muggable" camera for those areas where the M9 is not the best options ;)

- I do enjoy working with the tech camera both as pace and as results; of course I would like to have the same IQ in a smaller, lighter and faster package but I am aware it's just not possible yet.
- The D3 is great for concert/stage.low light stuff, and I enjoy working with it too, no problem there as well.
- I do love working with a RF, no problem there.
- As you, I also really do not like the Phase body/V-Grip at all, way too clunky & slow for what I'd like it to be, even in the studio; for that, a D3x-like solution would be way faster and IQ would be probably more than adequate...

So, what do I do, or what do I wish, at least? :D

I'd definitely like to pair all the gear down some; I would not give up the Techno & the Leica, but am seriously thinking to either sell all the Phase gear less the back (upgrading it to the IQ 180 in the process) and get a D3x for the studio/portrait work that comes in, or wait for the next generation of Phase bodies and see if I can get rid of the D3 for concert work (but I would lose a lot of flexibility, the zooms, the speed, the fisheye, the reach) - as well, I am seriously thinking of pairing down the m4/3 stuff either just getting rid of the zooms or replacing it all with a compact camera (G-series Canon, S90/S95 or something like that)...

What would you and everyone else here do or suggest? Thanks again for sharing, it's great to hear from you and everyone :D

gazwas

What would you and everyone else here do or suggest? Thanks again for sharing, it's great to hear from you and everyone :D
Owning too much gear is pain IMO and I'd love to own one system that did it all. IMO, digital photography is in a funny stage at the moment. Every one wants the 1Ds/D3X type of cameras but with the quality of the Phase/Blad gear but they not there yet.

In MFD, we just got the IQ back and they are amazing but I just get the feeling there just not there yet functionality wise. The image quality is superb but they are no easier to use. MFD really needs a proper (not CCD and ND filters) live view, video function and GPS location logging, paired with a much better camera than the DF. I personally think using a IQ back on a DF is no better than using a 1Ds/D3X and it would seem many professionals agree. Where the MFD backs come into their own is that they are not limited to just the DF and using on tech/view cameras set them free where as your stuck with what you buy in 35mm DSLR land.

So it seems that were destined to muddle on as we are doing with multiple systems until someone delivers on our (my :sleep006:) dream.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well have to say the IQ back is there in MF and just no question about it. Sure a new body is a need and agree but after a full day with it and some hard shooting and stressing out the back last night as much as we could. The damn sings and battery life was just short of really strange as it went way further than expected. I mean WAY longerand they controls on screen are so accurate and more important functional to a shooter it is just a flat out awesome experience to shoot. We shot sensor plus, long exposures, model and extreme low light stuff that may just surprise us how well it did .

Lots of images to download and get going on results but it's a IQ all the way. Just to damn nice not to have that's features and the LCD itself. There was not one moment I could not see it or get confirmation from it on what I just shot. No one can say that with a P back , Hassy or anything else for that matter it is just that hood to work with. No question the IQ 140 is what I want and the money is worth it and really not to bad even my wife blessed it. Not sure I could pull off a 160 but I am going to see how deliver dates are and where I am at. Plus I can keep my Sonys in the process. Do not cancel any orders until you see and read Jacks and my reviews . All coming in the next hours and days.

BTW this is a great thread with some great discussions . This is about all our decisions and thoughts not just about me and mine. I know these thoughts are on all our minds

Guy Mancuso

I know I know but the proof is coming . Lol

Also good news I heard the first customer deliveries are here.

kdphotography

Well have to say the IQ back is there in MF and just no question about it. ....Lots of images to download and get going on results but it's a IQ all the way. Just to damn nice not to have that's features and the LCD itself. ....No question the IQ 140 is what I want and the money is worth it and really not to bad even my wife blessed it.....
Guy,

Recently Phase announced added features/capabilities for the IQ180. But what wasn't made totally clear was if these features would/could be extended to the IQ140 and IQ160 backs. The sensors are from the P40+ and P65+ respectively, but hardware is all new. Any word on the new features being extended to the IQ140/IQ160---or is that still exclusively IQ180 territory?

I know that purchasing any MFDB is a big business decision for anyone, but there is also that subjective balance with personal enjoyment in photography itself to consider. I have absolutely no need for more resolution, but the new technology means much easier workflow and enjoyment.

The IQ160 has your name on it, Guy, just like we all knew the P40+ was perfect for you months before you pulled the trigger!

ken

EsbenHR

I find that every shot needs it's own LCC because, and I can't prove this, I think that the colour temperature of the light affects things as well as the aperture and shift.
In theory anything will have an effect, and I would recommend a new LCC for each frame on a technical camera. This is probably overkill for most, but at least you get it right (what was the aperture and shift on that frame again?)

I had one version upgrade to C1 in which most of my LCCs went astray and that REALLY annoyed me, though I am sure it was my fault for deleting the LCC shots after I had made a calibration file from them! I fear it happening again.
Yes, we had that once. If it occurs it will be fixed. We support LCCs all the way back to, and including, Capture One 3 (both generated from a PowerPC Mac or Intel). File a bug if it does not work for you.

I would recommend saving the LCC shot though. A modern LCC-frame works a lot better than the old ones and we just might add new features to the format (light falloff is one example, improved support for ultra wides is another).

Regards,

Esben H-R Myosotis

Guy Mancuso

Guy,

Recently Phase announced added features/capabilities for the IQ180. But what wasn't made totally clear was if these features would/could be extended to the IQ140 and IQ160 backs. The sensors are from the P40+ and P65+ respectively, but hardware is all new. Any word on the new features being extended to the IQ140/IQ160---or is that still exclusively IQ180 territory?

I know that purchasing any MFDB is a big business decision for anyone, but there is also that subjective balance with personal enjoyment in photography itself to consider. I have absolutely no need for more resolution, but the new technology means much easier workflow and enjoyment.

The IQ160 has your name on it, Guy, just like we all knew the P40+ was perfect for you months before you pulled the trigger!

ken
No real word on what is or is not on the 160 and 140 we do know ISO 35 is not and that may extend to the higher ISO stuff.

Check this out Sensor Plus ISO 1600 at 4.5 heavily backlit with fill reflector that was barely working this is with a 210mm that I just bought from Dave it seems now. I bought his demo since this lens is really nice. I don't take chances if a lens I test is good than it's mine. LOL

This is pretty much at default I did work on exposure but not noise and will get into this more. But Dave, Doug and I did everything we could do to make this fail and everything looks like it held up to our cruelty . Makes no sense to make pretty pictures under ideal conditions when your testing. I always try to make these things fail because you just never know what soup you are in. Now Doug and I will be doing a lot of post both here and on Capture Integration site on his review as well . But I know i can make this file even better but that is not what I want to show right now. I want more or less whats coming off the sensor. This is damn good given it is heavily backlit.

Guy Mancuso

Notice no blooming no CA nothing bad. Lots more to come, BTW this is a F4 lens that is NOT highly rated either by many. Every lens I shot with the 180 so far has actually held up. Surprises me

Guy Mancuso

Folks just do not understand how good Sensor Plus really is. It is a awesome feature that gets put down as a gimmick. Well guess what i could not pull this shot off without it.

gazwas

Poor girl, she look well and truly fed up standing under that water feature while you play with your new toy! :D

Photo comment competition entry.....??

Guy Mancuso

BTW Dave asked me to tell you folks he has 20 of these 210mm on his shelf that are just taking up space so if your looking give CI a call.

Don Libby

After what I've seen these past couple days/nights I'm a believer!

Shooting the 180 side by side w/my 45+ helped,
Seeing how good the lcd looks, how easy the contols are helped
Then seeing the images just pushed it out of the park.

The file sizes are almost double from my P45+ thankfuly I've got the commputer to handle them.

I'd say that anyone who has one on order is very very lucky!