The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Reality

jlm

Workshop Member
fun reading; some choice quotes, totally out of context:

even my wife blessed it
It's the usual constant struggle to find kit that does everything and weighs nothing!
it stinks of legacy
In theory anything will have an effect
So you save a lot of money if you buy just the new back.

Plus I am rethinking all my equipment setup,
Blown away. Don is Blown away.
iPhone sorry for mispells
That's it: I'm not getting one!
Guy, if money's a bit tight...
and that is the other brain fart going on in my head.
you never know what will be next..
Guy, deja vu for you here...
like comparing your iPhone to a 12-button land-line desk phone!
a type of group psychosis in here regarding gear.."
I need to make responsible business decisions or at least I am supposed to.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay a 80 mpx shot . Not sure i totally nailed focus but it is damn close. Shot with the 110mm LS at F5.6 which is fairly wide open ISO 100 at 1/160.

Only White Balance here . Let it go on DR and look how well it handled the bright sun in background with just some reflector light and the shadows are wide open. This thing has some serious DR going on.

100 percent crop.

Guy Mancuso

Going in and recalibrating my monitor make sure the colors are correct here.

Lot of gold color floating around under these fake rocks.

vieri

Notice no blooming no CA nothing bad. Lots more to come, BTW this is a F4 lens that is NOT highly rated either by many. Every lens I shot with the 180 so far has actually held up. Surprises me
Wow Guy, that is some impressive DR! Would you care to post a 100% crop on the girl's face and maybe of the shadowy area on the right? That would be pretty interesting, thank you very much!

Guy Mancuso

Default Crop

Noise reduction and i maybe able to get better Luminance 30 color 55 single pixel 2 surface 27

vieri

Remember this is Sensor Plus binned down to 20 mpx
Thanks a lot Guy, that is pretty impressive indeed for a ISO 1600 20 MP image - one more question, besides the specs which I know, how fast does the IQ180 feel in Sensor Plus mode as far as shot-to-shot times go? I mean, do you ever feel like it leaves you waiting? I shoot a lot of concerts in very low light, and while ISO 1600 would do the trick (barely with f4 lenses, better with f2.8 glass) I also need some shot-to-shot speed & fast enough AF (but this I can live without, I often use old Nikkors in MF without any problem)... thanks! :D

Guy Mancuso

No not in sensor plus feels pretty good on speed, go as fast as the DF goes. The Df is very good with AF in low light. The 150 D 2.8 would be a excellent lens and don't forget the 300 4.5 which is very very good wide open. I'm actually surprised by the 210 F4 wide open. Reason I am keeping Daves demo unit is I got a nice shot wide open with it. I need to test it more but for 500/600 bucks I'm impressed. Honestly if i push myself to the 160 the sony's are toast. 15 mpx sensor plus would be perfect for me and the 180 with 20mpx looks to be a bonus.

In all honesty the IQ 180 is amazing but maybe too much for me with my work and setup. But it is the better deal for the P65+ users to upgrade and frankly they should go straight for it. Silly not too. I'm just trying to get to the 160 which i maybe able to pull off with a miracle. LOL

It is really what I want and completely solves my issues. I may have to wait a bit but that is okay. One time for me to be smart and wait it out. Can't believe the gear slut just said that. Need more espresso

Guy Mancuso

One thing we did find last night in the menus was a eyepicker tool on the back so you can custom WB on the fly, just move around to pick your area to WB off of. Now that was a find to say the least. Not sure that was posted anywhere and one other REALLY cool feature Doug picked up on. While shooting a long exposure during the dark frame you can actually go in and preview the image at 100 percent. So basically you have a 1 minute shot you do not have to wait 2 minutes to view it just after the initial exposure and you can see what you did. This is very nice feature as you can already plan any adjustments you may need for the next shot.

Guy Mancuso

Yes Chris i think personally that the purchase of Leaf by Phase was a very smart technology partnership for Phase and as you can see some of the merging of technology between them. There are a bunch of other things i simply did not get a chance to get into but hopefully Jack and Doug on their reviews will bring some more features and functions out for us to know about.

Terry

Well, I just left Jack's office. I am very happy. Happy because my order is pretty high up on the list and I will get my hands on the back pretty soon. The focus mask is fantastic for me as a tech camera shooter. I have a feeling once you trust the focus mask you won't need to go up to 100% view all of the time. Add in some tilt to the equation and it will be easy to dial in just the right amount.

Denmark.....keep that factory running full tilt!

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Well, I just left Jack's office. I am very happy. Happy because my order is pretty high up on the list and I will get my hands on the back pretty soon. The focus mask is fantastic for me as a tech camera shooter. I have a feeling once you trust the focus mask you won't need to go up to 100% view all of the time. Add in some tilt tothe equation and it will be easy to dial in just the right amount.

Denmark.....keep that factory running full tilt!
And YOUR giving me **** on being a fanboy. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously I rarely get excited about this stuff unless it is earth shattering. This is revolutionary no joking around. IT WORKS

Back to knitting my ski mask.

Don Libby

Here's a couple more random rambling thoughts of the IQ180...

I had never really appreciated the crop of the P45+ until I opened two side-by-side images taken with the P45+ and IQ180; while there isn't a huge amount of different it is notable.

I liked the thought that as soon as I took the image the focus mask was right there telling me what I had done. This is a huge plus for a tech camera, I had actually found I needed to do a very slight re-focus from the previous image taken with the P45+. The first image from the IQ was "close" the second image nailed it - thanks to the mask.

The LCD size is a huge factor in working this back. (You'll notice that I use the word "huge" often). The screen appears to take up the entire rear of the back yet there's still room for the 4-offset buttons (which are slightly smaller). Anyone familiar with an iPad knows how easy it is to take your finger and swipe through images - it's the same as with the IQ180. While I certainly didn't get to use it hold it enough to offer better feedback - I am left with the impression that one could navigate most of the functions without the need of a button, however please don't take that to the bank.

Doug & Guy were shooting long exposures off a balcony last night at 2 minutes and I've got to admit how impressed I am in reviewing those images directly of the back.

I'm left with the overall impression that this is the wave of the future in digital backs.

I'm also now attempting to figure out just how the heck I'm going to get one.

Don

Guy Mancuso

Don and I spent a good day and half together with this thing and the oh' and ah's where pretty loud. Obviously to see him I had to look way up to the 6'10' structure in front of me. But the message was clear how the heck are we going to get one.

Really looking forward to folks getting theres so i don't feel like the only kid around here.