The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Reality

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm back to thinking a P65+. Feel like a yo yo on this. Several reasons
I give up the Sony's for more sensor plus 15 mpx which is obviously better for me
Full Frame viewing more than anything else. Having a crop sensor is not the problem it is the viewing on the DF
My 35mm becomes a 22mm and the rest of my lenses like the 55mm becomes wider which i would like
I feel a little weak in the knees with 40 mpx and this is after shooting all three backs for a week and many other times as well. The 60 is the balance point as the best all around file. The 180 is totally out so not going there in any thinking process.
Ideally the 160 is the answer but 18k or more outlay is not.

One other HUGE reason is upgradability . I can certainly get more value upgrading from the 65 given the history of Phase upgrades which I have been watching very closely for a long time.

So I am really torn here . I want the tech badly but I gain no IQ

Well have to see the new back tonight. I'm scared for my family. LOL

Here is the other bottom line. Today and for the last year or so owning the P40+ i have never missed shots because the back did not give me the data I needed to start with. I have always nailed every situation and shoot. Its not like I absolutely need the tech at all, i'm to damn good a photographer to start with and no tech is REALLY going to help me. I say that in all honesty not modesty

I will not get a IQ 140 for maybe 3 months and the deals on the P65 are soon as the 180 hits your doors. Another words i could be shooting a P65 in two weeks if not sooner.

Next year I can always upgrade to the IQ but I will have more buying power.

Better print this e-mail and post it above my desk as a reminder after I work the 180 tech tonight. LOL I sent this to Jack,Bob and Terry ALL IQ 180 owners or soon to be

Other reason if I shot a tech cam it would be a no brainer a IQ is the answer but my chance at buying a tech cam are pretty frigging remote to start with. It honestly would be a bad business decision given what I shoot today. Architecture than it would be a different ball game and even so i could always rent , borrow or steal a tech cam on a project big enough.

This is just too ****ing logical and scaring me. Back to dreaming. LOL

Taking donations for a shrink. :wtf:

Guy Mancuso

See you think you have trouble making these kinds of decisions and after 35 years you would think this would be a no brainer for me. NOT

This is the kind of homework I pound in you folks to do.

Than I read my quote below and scratch my head.

vieri

Hey Guy, that sound like a massive rationalization not to get an IQ :ROTFL:

Seriously, I am a bit in a similar situation - got the P65+, and would love the IQ features without needing necessarily all these extra MP; however, side-grading to the IQ160 is probably the worse possible move: 10+ euro-K for a screen and a couple other features, while adding a couple of euro-grand would bring me to the IQ180... Of course, the best solution is to stay with the P65+ which is great to begin with...

...I don't need an IQ 180, I don't need an IQ 180, I don't need an IQ 180, I don't need an IQ 180, I don't need an IQ 180, I don't need an IQ 180, I don't need an IQ 180, I don't need an IQ 180, I don't need an IQ 180, I don't need an IQ 180... :deadhorse::deadhorse:

Guy Mancuso

Yea but if i had a P65+ than that damn IQ 180 would be begging me to buy it. I know in my heart the P65+ would be a stop gap to the IQ 180. This just sucks.

The bottom line is the side grading for me and not sure it makes sense to get the IQ 140 as it buys me nothing in IQ. I know everyone else thinking side grading is going through the same torture.

I know I try to be the best damn shrink around here for everyone else but this situation I have no real answer for OR reality is I know the answer is the P65+ and make this a two step process to the IQ but I refuse to buy into it. LOL

vieri

Yea but if i had a P65+ than that damn IQ 180 would be begging me to buy it. I know in my heart the P65+ would be a stop gap to the IQ 180. This just sucks.

The bottom line is the side grading for me and not sure it makes sense to get the IQ 140 as it buys me nothing in IQ. I know everyone else thinking side grading is going through the same torture.
I sure am :deadhorse: Yep, I agree that side grading is the less smart way out of the problem IMHO - no gain in IQ, a lot of money to get what, a nice shell, screen (which should have been in the Pxx+ series already!), and a few more feature, the best of which are for IQ180 buyers only, too... no, that IQ180 has my name on it, resistance is futile! :D

(now, can you lend me one of your old sky masks?)

S

Shelby Lewis

And to think I'm still totally jazzed with my 28mp sensor... :ROTFL:

I refuse to look closely at any files from these higher tier products for fear that the magical smile I get when opening up 28mp (after only shooting 35mm digital my whole career) will disappear. :eek:

I think the 65+ makes total sense for you as a photographer. You get a similar product to what you have now (which you use to great affect), only with a bit better IQ and more access to wide angle. BUT (TBH), unless you need those things... that 40+ sure works well for you.

Don Libby

Guy - very good thoughts.

I too have thought about the P65's that will soon be hitting the streets especially Ken's after he gets his IQ180. I too don't think an IQ will make me a better photographer; it would make my life a little easier but at what cost?

I can see stepping up to the P65 now that the deals will be out there versus upgrading into one a year ago. The P65 will offer a better resolution than my P45+ yet be less expensive than jumping into an IQ. I've figured I can keep doing what I've been doing when checking the focus - instead of a tap on the screen I've been clicking the magnifier a couple times and moving it around.

While live view would be nice to have it isn't necessary for what I do and like you I could always upgrade later on.

While I'm looking forward to seeing what that IQ180 can do tonight I'm sacred that I might like it too much and have to explain to Sandy what I did.

I think we're in deep do-do here! :D

Guy Mancuso

Yep your right Shelby, I'm still hitting them out of the park with the P40+ and that is the other brain fart going on in my head.

BlasR

Go for the H4D-60 ..or better just save the cash, you never know what will be next..

its every 6 months something come up.

BlasR

Guy Mancuso

Guy - very good thoughts.

I too have thought about the P65's that will soon be hitting the streets especially Ken's after he gets his IQ180. I too don't think an IQ will make me a better photographer; it would make my life a little easier but at what cost?

I can see stepping up to the P65 now that the deals will be out there versus upgrading into one a year ago. The P65 will offer a better resolution than my P45+ yet be less expensive than jumping into an IQ. I've figured I can keep doing what I've been doing when checking the focus - instead of a tap on the screen I've been clicking the magnifier a couple times and moving it around.

While live view would be nice to have it isn't necessary for what I do and like you I could always upgrade later on.

While I'm looking forward to seeing what that IQ180 can do tonight I'm sacred that I might like it too much and have to explain to Sandy what I did.

I think we're in deep do-do here! :D
I think some serious drinking is in order here. For you though I do think the P65+ is the better answer over your P45+ today as i like this sensor better in many ways . More DR , more tonal range and more neutral color tone for you which i think would fit you better plus you can get some ISO when you need the speed in landscape to stop some wind action. I know the 1 minute exposure is in your crawl space but I think you can get by. BTW it will go 90 seconds too as I have done it.

gazwas

Guy, if you can't afford the IQ180 at present and the P40+ is still hitting the mark IMO a P65+ would be a waist of money. If your going to a tech camera a P65+ would be a worthy move but just to use on the DF you'll only really gain a few more MP. Also to buy a P65+ now with the sole intention to upgrade in 12 months is just daft.

IMO, keep the money and save for the next gen when I have a feeling we'll see new camera and new chip technology and having the cash saved you'll be first in the que.

Guy Mancuso

Yup also a very good point. I don't mind putting out some money and have to really look at my bottom line pricing on this . But yea the P40 is doing me no harm at all. It's a great back and highly recommend over almost anything else.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hmmm,
I am about 20% considering whether to cancel my 180 and get out of MF altogether, at which point I'll be selling the p65+ at a very good price if to someone I know and trust (that's you, Guy!) and also a DF body, Phase 80 and 28mm lenses and Schneider 110 ls, cambo wide rs with Schneider 35 xl.

The only thing I'd keep is the cube...

Hmmmm...

vieri

Hmmm,
I am about 20% considering whether to cancel my 180 and get out of MF altogether, at which point I'll be selling the p65+ at a very good price if to someone I know and trust (that's you, Guy!) and also a DF body, Phase 80 and 28mm lenses and Schneider 110 ls, cambo wide rs with Schneider 35 xl.

The only thing I'd keep is the cube...

Hmmmm...
Tim, that's a surprise - would you care to expand on your reasoning behind such (possible) decision? Thanks! :D

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, that's a surprise - would you care to expand on your reasoning behind such (possible) decision? Thanks! :D
The reason is a bit of a jumble but...

1) I've been in MF for a while now and very few of the shots I have taken have made it into my personal 'hall of fame' of shots I really like.
2) My fine art print sales in limited editions have taken off and are at much higher prices than before, and it really doesn't matter to the buyers what they were shot on. 5dII, M9, Ricoh GRD, whatever...
3) MF is such a hassle. I hate LCCs and all that. If there was reliable, zoomable, daylight live view with no LCCs I'd be more excited. Even then, I sigh when I hoik the bag up onto my shoulder and schlep off into the field with all that stuff. It weighs down my body and my mind and it makes my work too formal. I personally am passionately anti the traditional MF landscape look (graduated sky, foreground interest, lead in lines, blah blah blah) and increasingly favour a more fluid and purposely less 'technical' look.
4) I have too much gear and it's getting in the way of my photography. I really mean Waaaay too much gear.

Hmmmm..

G

Garcia

If isn't going to be an IQ, why not a Leaf 10 or 12?

Same Dalsa manufactured CCD, same C1 software, same company, but a huge step forward in LCD screen and GUI compared to any pXX+ series.

Geoff

Guy -
I guess clears up your note a week ago on LL that you were going after an IQ 140.

FWIW, what about the Leaf with the rotating back? Its the cats meow... although by now, you must know the Phase user-interface well...

Best not to look at the IQ180 again.... it'll suck the bank account dry!

Best.

Graham Mitchell

Good question, Garcia.

I also have to wonder how many more prints you might sell using an IQ180 over a P65+. My guess is none, actually. I doubt that the IQ back would bring you any more clients for commissioned work either. On the other hand, that price difference could be used to buy a lot of other useful gear, or flights to fantastic locations which would really give you something to shoot.

Time to join Gearaholics Anonymous! (I'm kidding - I know you were a founding member)

danlindberg

Guy, am I right that you before thought of moving sideways from P40+ to IQ140? Is the actual image quality superior or was it more of other bonuses, like focus confirmation, faster etc etc?