The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any digital back options for a Rollei 6008i system owner?

tetrode

As someone who always seems to make the wrong choice, years ago I opted to go with the Rollei 6008i system in preference to Hasselblad. I still have my Rollei and a closet filled with some of Schneider's finest. Unfortunately, what I don't seem to have, is a viable migration path to the world of MF digital imaging. For obvious reasons, selling (or trying to sell) the Rollei gear and starting from scratch isn't going to work.

So, are there currently any viable (in terms of performance and affordability) options available for those of us still waiting at the station after the last Rollei train has departed? Would scrounging up a used AFi or Hy6 make the most sense or are there still backs out there that can be mated to a 6008i body?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dave F.

A

akk2

there is Phase One P20 for it and still a good one for about 13x13"

tetrode

Thank you for the suggestion but that's a 2004 vintage 16mp back, isn't it? I would definitely like to find something with higher resolution.

What about the Sinar eMotion 75 LV?

Dave F.

BradleyGibson

Hi, Dave,

Sorry to hear your Rollei system isn't the right one for you. :(

I am not sure about the 6008i, but the 6008AF can take digital backs from Hasselblad--they have an extensive adapter system for their CF backs. I believe you can also get there with Sinar, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

You can go with a Hy6 or AFi (I shoot with an AFi, also with some of Schneider's finest), and this will let you keep using all your lenses, and will open you up to Leaf offerings in addition to Sinar. But, you will lose access to Hasselblad backs.

So, pick your back (Hassy, Leaf or Sinar) and that may help drive your decision on the body. If compatibility only exists for 6008AF, the upgrade path to the AF is cheaper than to the Hy6.

Hope that helps,

Geoff

Dave -

The p20 may be an old back, but it sure does take some nice shots. Next option - upgrade to the 6008AF, as noted above, and choose either Sinar or Hassy (Imacon). Or go further with the body change, get into the AFI, and have access to the Leaf backs at varying resolutions. The integration is very good in the AFI and easy to use. You can get AFI bodies new from DHW.

Resolution choices from Leaf vary from the AFI 5 up to the 80 mp 12... at that point its a matter of pocketbook, and new or used. Leaf makes a new AFI back for the camera.

I use the 7II back with its internal revolving sensor, a delight. And those lenses are too good to give up.... also note that Alpa makes an adapter for the Schneider lenses, although really only for studio and with a Rollei lens controller.

tetrode

You can use a Sinar eMotion back on the 6008AF, with the right adapter. That's the system I use.
Graham, do the eMotion backs require the 6008AF body? According to the Calumet Photo site, my 6008i should be compatible:

"Camera adapters
Sinar m, Sinarp3/f3 (in preparation); Contax 645 AF; Hasselblad V500 series, H1, H2; Mamiya RZ 67, RZ67 Pro II, 645 AFD, 645 AFD II; 645 Super, 645 Pro, 645 Pro TL; Rolleiflex 6001, 6003, 6008, 6008 integral, 6008 integral 2, 6008 AF; 4x5” view cameras via Hasselblad V adapter"

Dave F.

H3dtogo

You can easely mount a Hasselblad CF39 on a Rollei. any rollei 6000 camera, even on an SLX ( i did it years ago). I still have a CF39 with Rollei adapter up for sale. Great back and a great camera system with the finest lenses available.

tetrode

Dave -

The p20 may be an old back, but it sure does take some nice shots. Next option - upgrade to the 6008AF, as noted above, and choose either Sinar or Hassy (Imacon). Or go further with the body change, get into the AFI, and have access to the Leaf backs at varying resolutions. The integration is very good in the AFI and easy to use. You can get AFI bodies new from DHW.

Resolution choices from Leaf vary from the AFI 5 up to the 80 mp 12... at that point its a matter of pocketbook, and new or used. Leaf makes a new AFI back for the camera.

I use the 7II back with its internal revolving sensor, a delight. And those lenses are too good to give up.... also note that Alpa makes an adapter for the Schneider lenses, although really only for studio and with a Rollei lens controller.
Thank you for the detailed reply, Geoff. An AFi or Hy6 body would be ideal. Unfortunately, either of those bodies plus back would be way beyond my budget for such things. I will say, though, that the prospect of having an internal revolving sensor does make me salivate.

If I stick with the 6008i body, it seems the two most likely candidates for me would be the eMotion and the (discontinued) Hasselblad CF39.

Yes, the lenses are indeed too good to give up. Now if I could just find an affordable AFi/Hy6 ....

Dave F.

lowep

if treated properly and used in the right conditions eMotion75 delivers superb images and if you get tired of the Rollei you can always swap user interchangeable adapter plates to another camera platform at a fraction of the cost of swapping an entire back

EH21

Yes, you can use most of the ixpress and CF backs on any rollei that has the removable film gate in the back. Definitely 6008 pro, integral, integral 2, and AF bodies do, 6003 does, but not sure about the other bodies. The phase back really only works on the 6008AF bodies. I believe the Sinar backs can be also fit to any of the bodies with removable film gate. The film gate is the square metal frame with rollers on the back of the camera. Lots of options for backs on the Rollei 6000 series. I've had the phase p20 and several ixpress and CF backs.

tetrode

if treated properly and used in the right conditions eMotion75 delivers superb images and if you get tired of the Rollei you can always swap user interchangeable adapter plates to another camera platform at a fraction of the cost of swapping an entire back
Yes, the eMotion 75LV sounds relatively appealing BUT a Rollei adapter for that back isn't listed on the bronimaging.com site and the adapters for other cameras that are listed are priced at a breathtaking $2200 or so. Seeing that really dampened my enthusiasm for this back.

Dave F.

BradleyGibson

+1 on that revolving sensor--I absolutely love the ergonomics of the Leaf back. My II-10's tilting screen literally saves my back, and I find white balancing to be a breeze--best I've used.

Question is, what do you consider "affordable" for a Hy6 or AFi body? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Actually, if you PM me, I can provide you with contact information to a photographer I know who has one for sale (AFi II-10 kit, if memory serves). No affiliation, but you and he can discuss options and see if there is a potential fit.

Best regards,
Brad